You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buzz around the national team is back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:32am
Don't think it's a bad think myself, once the regulars get tickets. Some of these feckers wouldn't have opened the curtains to see us a few years ago
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Sponsored Links

belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Definitely noticed a big boost in demand/buzz/cowds since the Euros. For all the talk about the bandwagons over there, the crowd has stayed around.

The Georgia home game in last campaign was a similar position to the Moldova game (second last game, last home game against minnows). 
Georgia 2015... 27,000
Moldova 2017... 50,000

Friday night is a lot more attractive than a Monday especially for those with kids and anyone outside of Dublin. That Monday we played Georgia was day after Electric Picnic and All Ireland too

Edited by belt - 15 Oct 2017 at 3:11pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 3:15pm
People keep referencing that 27k match and though it's poor in comparison with our usual attendance's if you look at some of the attendance's from teams on a similar level to us, they are a lot worse. Some of Switzerland's attendance's were awful in other games leaving aside the fact there's smaller stadiums used at times.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 4:05pm
Top five sports events by viewing numbers in Ireland last year were the four ROI matches in the Euros and the All Ireland final.

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Heres-the-most-watched-TV-shows-in-Ireland-in-2016/389335.htm

F**king Toy Show was the top show by a distance.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Top five sports events by viewing numbers in Ireland last year were the four ROI matches in the Euros and the All Ireland final.

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Heres-the-most-watched-TV-shows-in-Ireland-in-2016/389335.htm

F**king Toy Show was the top show by a distance.

Looking at that list, which compiles the average viewing figures, (although that's not clear in the article,  it is average figures which are listed) it's interesting to note that Wales v Ireland at 861000 average viewers (It did peak at 1.1 million) would be 7th on the list of most watched programmes in 2016.

In otherwords, Monday's win had an average audience of well over 200k more than Ireland v England and Irl v France in last year's six nations, and almost 200k more than Irl v New Zealand in a friendly, the only three rugby games to feature on that list.

It also had more viewers than the All Ireland Hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary, and the All Ireland football final replay between Dublin and Mayo.

That is no joke.

Edited by rolo - 15 Oct 2017 at 4:27pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 4:38pm
Football has and will always be bigger in terms of viewing figures despite media and the agenda by corporate marketing in Ireland to push Rugby upon us.  This is rugby country bolllox etc..

A the end of the day football matters.  Its the only true worldwide game. Rugby is a niche sport that ultimately nobody gives a toss about.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Football has and will always be bigger in terms of viewing figures despite media and the agenda by corporate marketing in Ireland to push Rugby upon us.  This is rugby country bolllox etc..

A the end of the day football matters.  Its the only true worldwide game. Rugby is a niche sport that ultimately nobody gives a toss about.

I dunno. It went through a bit of a boom there from about 2005 to 2015. 

The decline of the provinces and the realisation by the newcomers that the six nations is actually the same thing every year has seen a bit of a drop off I think, plus the team started to drop off in their level. 

I do think there is a rugby stronghold here. There are a lot of people in Limerick, Cork, and South Dublin who couldn't care less about football, and Rugby is their sport. 

Met a Cork lad in a pub the day after the Moldova game and he was gutted that Munster had lost to Leinster apparently, I was aware they were playing because of the pitch needing to be sorted after our game, but I'd no interest in the result and had no clue who had won till he told me. Also had no interest in chatting about said match, so managed to slip away easily.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Friday night is a lot more attractive than a Monday especially for those with kids and anyone outside of Dublin. That Monday we played Georgia was day after Electric Picnic and All Ireland too

Interesting, I always felt that Georgian game in 2015 galvanised support. Prior to that, apart from the 1-1 against Germany it had been a long time since we had ground a truly good result. We played poorly against Georgia, but the goal was through good
Football and skill, and afterwards there was an air of positivity, that we could grind a result against Germany, which we did.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:11pm
Euro 2016 was a massive success
The boom is back
Good chance of qualifying for major tournaments again

Football will always be number1 in Ireland. Not sure why the comparisons to Rugby.
GAA and Hurling are bigger.

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The boom is back

Football will always be number1 in Ireland. Not sure why the comparisons to Rugby.

i would debate whether hurling is but gaelic football undoubtedly yeah
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:28pm

The boom is back

Because this is Rugby Country apparently. Marketing is trying force feed the notion the Irish Rugby is on a par with our national football team
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:38pm
The obsession amongst certain sets of football fans about rugby is a bit strange. I don't believe rugby fans notice it. It's akin to the "barstoolers" debate.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The obsession amongst certain sets of football fans about rugby is a bit strange. I don't believe rugby fans notice it. It's akin to the "barstoolers" debate.

Incorrect.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Incorrect.

Perhaps it depends on who you speak to. But the obsession is weighted heavily in favour of football fans.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 11:57pm
The country pretty much shuts down when we qualify for a tournament. Can you imagine potentially next summer and first World Cup in 16 years!?it would be a step up agains from the Euros even.

And that is the difference. Ireland in the rugby World Cup doesn't even come close (although if it's held here in 2020 it will), GAA is obviously localised and other sports after that are too niche. (International) football is your only man for capturing the hearts and mind of the country. It even excites the non sports fan, the aul wans, the girlfriend, the brothers and mates who don't like sport for some reason but love cars, they all get involved (i won't classify these as being members of the bandwagon)
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Incorrect.

Perhaps it depends on who you speak to. But the obsession is weighted heavily in favour of football fans.

I had a go at my gah/rugby workmates who were going on about watching that sh*te (before the Georgia result) . I gently reminded them that they'd be hopping on the bandwagon as soon as we qualify for something and that it's the biggest event.

The epitomy of this attitude is Eamonn Sweeney and his pukeathon of fawning over Galway's hurling achievements by kicking the national team when it's down after the Serbia loss. Hurling was an art and soccer only a game.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamonn-sweeney-have-you-ever-seen-a-starker-contrast-between-sports-than-the-hurling-final-and-irelands-qualifiers-36116885.html

As soon as the national team rescue their world cup campaign in Cardiff he's talking about how there's two games to go and to believe.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/eamonn-sweeney-hes-not-all-that-easy-to-love-but-its-impossible-not-to-respect-martin-oneill-36227828.html

He can get ta fcuk

Edited by irishmufc - 16 Oct 2017 at 5:43am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

The boom is back

Because this is Rugby Country apparently. Marketing is trying force feed the notion the Irish Rugby is on a par with our national football team

At the national team level football is way bigger and always will be.
Tournament like 1990,1994 and 2002 will always be remembered and never beaten for popularity.

But you have to hand it to the level below - more people pay to watch the provinces play than the LOI matches.
I know we have loads of fans that travel over to watch their favourite British teams each weekend which probably levels it up but that's not supporting your local team which has a direct impact to your national team.

muscles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muscles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:48am
Ya and it's great to see, i dnt care if people are jumping on the bandwagon or not, the more the merrier. I think most irish people genuinely wnat to like the team, but some of the football under Trap was depressing. I think when you see the likes of McClean, Walters, Duffy etc burst a gut and leave nothing on the field, than it's hard not to warm to them. It's obvious there's a great spirt and camraderis in the squad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic