You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bumping into famous footballers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:09am
Met a good few of the Newcastle team in Coppers when they were staying in Carton House during the season after they had been relegated for the first time. Barton, Butt, Nolan, Smith, and Ameobi. Butt and Smith had no time for any one, which is fair enough but Barton, Nolan and Ameobi were all sound. Ameobi even ended up going back to a house party with us to Malahide.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Met a good few of the Newcastle team in Coppers when they were staying in Carton House during the season after they had been relegated for the first time. Barton, Butt, Nolan, Smith, and Ameobi. Butt and Smith had no time for any one, which is fair enough but Barton, Nolan and Ameobi were all sound. Ameobi even ended up going back to a house party with us to Malahide.

I talked with Alan Smith in coppers that night. As he was walking by, I mentioned something about Leeds to him and he stopped and said I f**king love Leeds, spoke to me for a minute or so and left with some blonde. I hear he doesn't drink so coppers was probably quite the experience. 

Met Gary Neville in Manchester airport when we were flying back from a Leeds game, was sound, enjoyed the bit of back and forth banter 

Met Robbie Keane when my brother played for Crumlin schoolboys a few years ago. Was great with all the young kids, made plenty of time for everyone. 

James Beattie coaching kids at hotel I stayed in in Portugal, down to earth nice bloke. 

Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:20am
Met a good few when at uni in Liverpool working in a Tesco - Joel Matip, Joe Gomez, Funes Mori, Andre Wisdom 

Met Shane Duffy in the Liffey in Liverpool about 20 times, loves the drink and the Ra tunes. Had friends over one weekend and we bumped into him walking towards concert square in Liverpool. Was with some girl who wasn’t his girlfriend, asked him would he join us in Popworld. He said no cuz he was with the girl. Talked for ages about how Celtic couldn’t afford his wages etc said he was on 12k a week at Blackburn. We headed off as he went away with the girl, we all get into popworld and 10 minutes later while standing st the bar in walks Duffy., straight up to us “f*ck it boys Ive decided to come out” had completely ditched the girl. The week before he had scored 2 own goals and got sent off for Blackburn. Dj was giving him all sorts of abuse. 

Met Kilbane a good few times, probably like half this forum haha in Serbia, Poland, Liverpool and Dublin. 

After we qualified for France 2016 I was talking to loads of the squad at about 3am outside Coppers. Phone had died and and had lost my passport was meant to be flying back to Liverpool at 9 Jeff Hendrick reassured me “it’s not the end of the world” haha he was sound. Daryl Murphy was abit of a prick, but Ward, Hendrick and McClean were sound. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

A work colleague of mine scored Barton one night after meeting him in Dublin.  Was gonna keep in contact and all until someone showed her his wikipedia!
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:16pm
That Duffy story is one of the most unbelievable things I’ve ever read on here, but I f**king hope it’s true LOL
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:34pm
Met the legend who is Lubo Moravcik in Zilna in the hotel beside the ground before the Slovakia game in 2010. Couldn't believe how small he is, even though I saw him play many times. Posed for photos with me and my mate and told us how much he loved Celtic. Pile of other Irish lads recognised him and he was great with them too, posing for everyone who asked. Some bird he was with was obviously a bit put out that she wasn't centre of attention and started whining at him. I don't speak Slovakian, but I'd hazard a guess he told her to 'Feck off, I'm getting a few pictures taken with the boys" if her bake was anything to go by LOL
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:07am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

That Duffy story is one of the most unbelievable things I’ve ever read on here, but I f**king hope it’s true LOL

LOL It’s all true. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was in the gym last week and Paddy McCourt came in. He was in IFA gear, was doing his UEFA coaching badges and must have been staying in that hotel.

Paddy McCourt in a hotel gym?

Did he get out of the lift on the wrong floor? Wink
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:46pm
Ha was thinking the same
Must have been why he looked grumpy 
Spudgunn1980 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudgunn1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:52pm
Too many to mention. Ronaldinho and Pique probably being the pick of the bunch.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:57pm
Saw Nathan Blake on the beach in Malia around 2003

Met Freddie Ljungberg in a restaurant in Manchester couple of years ago, got a photo with him he seemed friendly 
Currychips View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Currychips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:06am
Shame this thread dried up a bit.. the star stuck kid in me loved it haha.. 
Had a few brushes with footballers down the years but the best one I heard was from my mate who was living in Manchester about 20yrs ago for the summer. A big night of the piss on his own one night he bumped into GOD (the McGrath variety) himself and instantly went over to introduce himself and tell him how much he idolised him growing up and thought he was an Irish Legend, to which McGrath replied “well do you fancy going for pints with a legend?”... needless to say they had an absolute massive night on the beer and ended back at my mates digs to sleep it off.
Currychips View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Currychips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:15am
My own one was in Sydney one night drinking it up by myself one night i met into a few of the Australian team. Lucas Neil didn’t take too kindly to me taking up residence at their table and didn’t like me asking if he even considered playing for ROI , “I’m f**king Aussie maaate” was his snappy reply.. anyhow had a great night with both Archie Thompson (A-League Legend) & Scott Chipperfield who played in their WC team and played many seasons with Basel in the Champions League. Top guys they were but Neil is up his own arse if you know what I mean Wink
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:18am
As far as I know Lucas Neill fell into that Maik Taylor catergory in that despite being born abroad having an Northern Irish father he was entitled to a British or Irish passport and could have played for any of England,Wales,Scotland, Northern Ireland or ourselves.

But as you say he was born in Australia and considered himself Australian.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:29am
Neill always came across as a complete and utter c unt
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

MarkDev View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkDev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:37am
Met the whole Irish squad in an irish pub the night we got beat by spain in korea in the world cup in 02.
Also met Jurgen Klinsman in the airport on the way home two days later.
Limerick your a Lady!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:07am
Yeah Lucas Neill's second nationality was Irish on Championship Manager 01/02

Gigibongi33 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigibongi33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:20am
 Was in Dublin airport last Sunday waiting to board a flight to Manchester. Paul McGrath was also waiting at the same gate. Then up strolled Lou Macari and Denis Law. Few people approached them for photos and someone actually thought Denis Law was Rod Stewart 🤦
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic