Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bumping into famous footballers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bumping into famous footballers
    Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:26am

Was in the gym last week and Paddy McCourt came in. He was in IFA gear, was doing his UEFA coaching badges and must have been staying in that hotel.

Last night was in the gym again and saw a fella who I would guess looked Spanish or Portuguese in IFA gear, recognized him but couldn't put a name to it. .
Then a while later a man came in and went over to talk to the first lad, says I to myself jaysus that looks very like Ricardo Carvalho.
I saw on Twitter later on that Carvalho was here this week doing his badges, Richard Dunne also here.

Sadly but not surprisingly Dunney wasn't in the gym.

I remember seeing Andrew Johnson in the Bot nightclub in Belfast the season he was one of the top scorers for Palace in the EPL

Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:39am
Not a footballer but bumped into Manuella Spinelli in Gatwick a few days ago.  Chatted to her about dad.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:40am
Sat beside Luke Steele on a Ryanair flight from Barcelona to Stansted. He had just finished his final season with Panathinaikos. Himself and his old Peterborough youth team were away on a piss-up but unfortunately Sean St. Ledger wasn’t there. Really sound guy. That’s as star studded as it gets for me. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:45am
Roy Keane sat next to a few of us when Cobh played Shelbourne this season. Pushed up against my shoulder when he was getting out of his seat at half time.

That's the only one I remember anyway.
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:48am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Roy Keane sat next to a few of us when Cobh played Shelbourne this season. Pushed up against my shoulder when he was getting out of his seat at half time.

That's the only one I remember anyway.

LOL

You should have knocked him out. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:56am
Oh I also randomly exchanged hellos with Roy Keane in Birmingham and also Timothy Sherwood in 2015
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:03am
I literally walked into Big Ron on a train platform in Birmingham back in 2010. I was about to say sorry when I realised it was him, so instead, without thinking,I said ‘alright, Big Ron’ and he smiled gave me a ‘hello, young man’. It was surreal.

Met Ray Houghton in his brother’s local before, an absolute gentleman. 

I met Tommy Johnson and Graham Roberts on a golfing holiday in Kinsale, I was well oiled at the time. I was trying to ignore Roberts and was telling Johnson that I cried when he scored to clinch the league when Roberts piped up with ‘ so did f**king I’. He was actually a nice fella.

I saw Paul McGrath the morning I split up with a girl in Camolin. A bad night led to a village pub at opening time. I was in the bar and he was in the lounge, I felt it was best to leave him alone. I think he still lives down that way.

I’ve met a few Celtic players at dinners and nights. Lennon and Hartson are nice, but they were prearranged, at least on my side.

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:04am
Was at a house party with Craig Bellamy in the Holylands a good number of years ago after a night out. From memory I think they were playing NI or something like that. He was decent enough at Pro Evo and enjoyed a few Celtic songs. He curted my mates sister as well
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:05am
Never met any famous footballers at all. LOL

Until he moved, we used to see Charlie Nicholas going on his daily run round the block at my bit. He wore the same Clyde FC tracksuit for years 

My Dad used to be a taxi driver and picked up Packie Bonner a couple of times. Dad said he was very quiet and polite. 

Bobby Murdoch was at least a dozen times a fare in my Dad's cab. He used to pick up Murdoch when he did a relief managers role at a pub in Maryhill and take Murdoch back to his home in Rutherglen. Dad said Murdoch was brilliant company and that he was the kind of guy who just loved to chat away  about football with anybody.

He also picked up Jock Wallace once after a Rangers game and was given money by Wallace to get a fish supper.

I've posted my dad's story about meeting big Jack Charlton at Mexico 86 twice before so i won't repeat it but my Dad still speaks well of how easy going and friendly Jack Charlton was in person.

My Grandparents have a couple of good ones.

In the early 1950s, whilst in the merchant navy, my Grandad bumped into Willie Waddell (Rangers & Scotland winger, later Rangers manager) aboard his ship one day, Waddell was there to wish his cousin good luck on his first voyage. Grandad also said hello to Jimmy McGrory (Celtic all time top goalscorer and later manager) at an ice cream parlour in Largs c1960.

When my Gran would get the subway weekdays from Ibrox to her job at Fairfields shipyard, half the the Rangers first team circa 1958 used to arrive for training by subway with suits on and training bag in hand. Chained days indeed.

Oh and Dennis Connachan (1970s Celtic goalie) for a while was a lorry driver who delivered goods to my Mum's shop. He was past retirement age but said he couldn't stand doing nothing and wanted to work. Fair play to him, although he has since finally retired. He also does some great work with a football team for kids with special needs. A very nice guy Thumbs Up

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 17 May 2019 at 11:06am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:06am
met Paul McGrath walking out of lansdowne the night we drew with the Swiss  for World Cup 2006.  

Said to him we could have done with you out there tonight Paul.  

His response I wish I was out there tonight  :). 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:09am
Met Alan Thompson and Tommy Johnson in a bar in Belfast a few years back too. I asked Thompson "wheres Lenny tonight" and he said "probably lying in the gutter somewhere".
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:21am
Had a brief chat with Jim Beglin in the stadium in Zilina, sound fella. Also bumped into John O’ Shea in Creation nightclub in Dungarvan a couple of years ago, he was absolutely hammered
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:24am
De Rossi told me to f**k off when I asked him to sign a t-shirt in Poland 2012.

It was royal blue with an eagle on it, he thought it was a Lazio shirt! On further inspection he came over and signed it in the end.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:25am
Bumped into loads in Portugal over the years, Fowler, Gerrard (his daughter ran into me and he apologised for it), Schmeichel, Ally McCoist (went go-karting against his kids), Paul Scholes, Aldo etc etc.

Not been in a few years but they were accesible enough then, on the same beaches and restaurants as everyone else, not trying to hide away, may have changed now.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Met Alan Thompson and Tommy Johnson in a bar in Belfast a few years back too. I asked Thompson "wheres Lenny tonight" and he said "probably lying in the gutter somewhere".

Shouldn't that be the other way round?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Bumped into loads in Portugal over the years, Fowler, Gerrard (his daughter ran into me and he apologised for it), Schmeichel, Ally McCoist (went go-karting against his kids), Paul Scholes, Aldo etc etc.

Did you win ?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Had a brief chat with Jim Beglin in the stadium in Zilina, sound fella. Also bumped into John O’ Shea in Creation nightclub in Dungarvan a couple of years ago, he was absolutely hammered

I see Jim at Anfield most weeks - Always has time to say hello to people and have a chat.
Met O'Shea the other week for the first time- Had just played his last game. Sound lad. 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:48am
James McClean and Kevin Doyle in a KFC the day after the Spain game in EURO 2012. Probably sums up our tournament.

John Aldridge and Ronnie Whelan in Manchester airport last year, they were on route to the Euro 88 reunion in Dublin. Sound lads, got a photo with them and they couldn't get in fast enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic