You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgaria Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 62>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgaria Match Thread
    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:04pm
Couldn't see a thread for the actual match, game confirmed for Sofia, squad out Monday, be very interesting to see who gets in
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Couldn't see a thread for the actual match, game confirmed for Sofia, squad out Monday, be very interesting to see who gets in

Gonna be fascinating isn’t it. Hard to know what sort of a squad hel pick initially id imagine he won’t be picking a 35-40 man squad. Will have 28-30 at most (initial 23 and a few stand by lads).

The midfield is the most intriguing area a spot we were very weak in and McCarthy Arter Brady back on the scene combined with the likes of Cullen Molumby Smallbone Knight Ronan getting very handy on the scene it could be a very new look midfield roster to the batch picked for the Denmark squad let’s say.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm
I see that.  assume the government have given the FAI an exception from the quarantine rules then.  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:57pm
You expect so considering their continually breaking the rules themselves.

Good news all the same.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
Think he'll change much lads starting line up wise? 

I don't think he will tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:27pm
the biggest change will be the intention to play football and try to dominate the ball.  whether that it done with a
Change in personnel early on is doubtful.  I suspect no change to back four or 1 change max.   

McCarthy will replace Whelan and I think
McClean won’t start as much. 

We are likely to play a 4 3 3 
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

the biggest change will be the intention to play football and try to dominate the ball.  whether that it done with a
Change in personnel early on is doubtful.  I suspect no change to back four or 1 change max.   

Would agree with most of that but it'd be a big call for him not to start McClean. I would say he's probably more likely to start based on nothing other than it's Kenny's first game (a competitive one) in charge and I suspect Kenny might be a bit more conservative than we think he would be. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:37pm

We'll see.  He'll probably come up with some excuse to pull out.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Would agree with most of that but it'd be a big call for him not to start McClean. I would say he's probably more likely to start based on nothing other than it's Kenny's first game (a competitive one) in charge and I suspect Kenny might be a bit more conservative than we think he would be. 

Maybe but in the medium term if you are trying to keep the ball you won’t have a player like McClean in your team.  
AKA pedantic kunt
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:48pm
Hopefully McCarthy is back, Whelan didn't do much wrong but too old now I think

Agree with Baldrick on his point about not much personnel change but a change is approach 

The Doherty situation and how he approaches the front players will be interesting, McGoldrick and/or Long I'll guess, would love to see Obafemi and/or Connolly mind 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:54pm
Mcclean is definitely a player that has earned his place in the squad on merit, but I don't think he's a definite starting player anymore.

If, as we kinda suspect, kenny goes the 433 route, i can't see where mcclean would would fit. The midfield may very well start with three of mccarthy, hendrick, molumby, cullen, Hourihane. All of which play more central than out wide. 

Up front will be McGoldrick, long, connolly and maybe Robinson and obafemi as next in line.

Additionally - we know that mcclean is a work horse but historically we know that he's not a player to keep possession well. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:56pm
i dont see a front three where Long and McGoldrick play working. Long isnt a winger and he hasnt any real technical ability on the ball so is that really a goer? I thinknit may have to be one or the other.

Edited by doherty - 21 Aug 2020 at 8:57pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

i dont see a front three where Long and McGoldrick play working. Long isnt a winger and he hasnt any real technical ability on the ball so is that really a goer? I thinknit may have to be one or the other.

I agree but that’s where he played against Italy at euro 2016.  

That night we went with McClean long and Murphy up front and McCarthy Hendrick and Brady in midfield. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:05pm
I'd love to see McGoldrick and long given the chance to play up front together. 

Id be the first to admit that the goals will be hard come by but we have seen mccgoldrick play up front in a very isolated role and yet still hold up the ball, bring players into the game and cause defenders real problems.

We have seen long do the same on many occasions. I feel having both up front causing problems for defenders might work very well.

Worth a 45 minute try anyway 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:16pm

Randolph 
Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens 
      McCarthy Molumby
         Hendrick?? 
Connolly Mcgoldrick. McClean 

Is this a fair shout? Personally I’d have Robinson or Obafemi over McClean and Hourihane I think is seriously worth a shot in the No.10 role. Against teams that we will dominate the ball against (you would hope against Bulgaria and Finland that would be the intention) Hourihane in that pocket and with his set piece ability would be interesting. He’s well capable of finding the back of the net too does it consistently for a midfielder another thing worth considering in a team that may not initially have a huge amount of goals in it. 

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:23pm
Shane Longs overall game and touch has improved a lot over the last couple of years so that shouldn’t be a problem and he still has good pace. Almost Everyone is mentioning James McCarthy coming straight back into the team and I’d agree with that. Who do we go with  if he’s not fit which is always a big possibility with him. 
galwayman View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galwayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 9:26pm
The most interesting aspect of this game for me is what our style of play is on the night.
Kenny obviously won’t have much time with the players but you’d hope we’d start to see how he likes his teams to play in terms of keeping the ball etc.
I assume this game will be on tv?
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 10:55pm
Imagining a front of Obafemi, Long, Connolly...

Dear god, the pace! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 62>
  Share Topic