You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:41am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

The Government of the time (FF coalition, but the Green party in this particular instance) are singlehandedly to blame for the diesel fiasco, effectively taxing petrol cars out of the market in 2008 & forcing a mass switch to diesel.  The actual solution is to get those people who are driving diesels (& petrols for that matter) but don't need them, ie driving them short distances in urban population centres, out of them & into electric cars when & where possible, with suitable incentives if necessary. As Tom mentioned, the cost of the inevitable fine could be billions and cost more than any incentives. 

They won't be able to achieve this because the brainless f**kers won't pass the opportunity to absolutely financially fleece all diesel drivers, even those that do need them. Not to mention the road hauliers or farmers, though there isn't any mass produced alternative to diesel trucks & tractors at the minute, so they will be left alone for a while. Then diesel cars then become worthless overnight, some of them with money owed on them, a negative equity for cars, if ya like. We were here before, with cars in 2008 and with houses not too long after. Seems we've learned a lot. 

In the bigger picture, the infrastructure isn't there for electric cars, meaning dozens of thousands of plug in points (no, yer car can't be charged from the 3 pin plug in your house) and where does electricity come from anyway ? With the focus on renewable resources, the national grid would have to be expanded, which means more of those lovely wind farms.  Electricity can also be economically produced by nuclear power, but nobody wants either of those things either.

The big elephant in the picture, or cow in this case, is the fact that agriculture as an industry is responsible for most of our emissions, far more than transport or manufacturing and those are naturally occurring emissions, basically animal excretions or slurry. Agriculture is also responsible for about 10% of all our exports, a not insignificant sum either. Whatever about individual politicians, all our main parties are split between urban & rural, so are unlikely to vote in anything that would damage or reduce that export industry, even if it comes at the cost of not meeting emissions targets. 

Therefore, if nothing is going to be done about that, the solution lies in technology to reduce emissions, and our investment in same is negligible on the scale of what is required. Whatever the worst possible solution is, that is least beneficial to health, the economy or the individual taxpayer, I have full confidence in our government to find that exact solution.  I'm not pointing at FG either, they may or may not be around when whatever plan is implemented, but we can be assured that none of the rest will do any better with the subject. 

If the party set up primarily for environmental issues could send the country down the wrong road for an entire decade, their actions worsening both the economy and  the environment, I wouldn't be holding out too much hope for the rest of them, who are really only fundamentally interested in keeping ''the markets'' happy. 

For now keeping the markets happy is easy for the government... Just do the complete opposite to what the Italians are doing LOL

But in all seriousness we're a country run by crooks with Naughten the latest to show his true corrupt colours. In a normal functioning state he would have resigned or be on the precipice this week.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

The Government of the time (FF coalition, but the Green party in this particular instance) are singlehandedly to blame for the diesel fiasco, effectively taxing petrol cars out of the market in 2008 & forcing a mass switch to diesel.  The actual solution is to get those people who are driving diesels (& petrols for that matter) but don't need them, ie driving them short distances in urban population centres, out of them & into electric cars when & where possible, with suitable incentives if necessary. As Tom mentioned, the cost of the inevitable fine could be billions and cost more than any incentives. 

They won't be able to achieve this because the brainless f**kers won't pass the opportunity to absolutely financially fleece all diesel drivers, even those that do need them. Not to mention the road hauliers or farmers, though there isn't any mass produced alternative to diesel trucks & tractors at the minute, so they will be left alone for a while. Then diesel cars then become worthless overnight, some of them with money owed on them, a negative equity for cars, if ya like. We were here before, with cars in 2008 and with houses not too long after. Seems we've learned a lot. 

In the bigger picture, the infrastructure isn't there for electric cars, meaning dozens of thousands of plug in points (no, yer car can't be charged from the 3 pin plug in your house) and where does electricity come from anyway ? With the focus on renewable resources, the national grid would have to be expanded, which means more of those lovely wind farms.  Electricity can also be economically produced by nuclear power, but nobody wants either of those things either.

The big elephant in the picture, or cow in this case, is the fact that agriculture as an industry is responsible for most of our emissions, far more than transport or manufacturing and those are naturally occurring emissions, basically animal excretions or slurry. Agriculture is also responsible for about 10% of all our exports, a not insignificant sum either. Whatever about individual politicians, all our main parties are split between urban & rural, so are unlikely to vote in anything that would damage or reduce that export industry, even if it comes at the cost of not meeting emissions targets. 

Therefore, if nothing is going to be done about that, the solution lies in technology to reduce emissions, and our investment in same is negligible on the scale of what is required. Whatever the worst possible solution is, that is least beneficial to health, the economy or the individual taxpayer, I have full confidence in our government to find that exact solution.  I'm not pointing at FG either, they may or may not be around when whatever plan is implemented, but we can be assured that none of the rest will do any better with the subject. 

If the party set up primarily for environmental issues could send the country down the wrong road for an entire decade, their actions worsening both the economy and  the environment, I wouldn't be holding out too much hope for the rest of them, who are really only fundamentally interested in keeping ''the markets'' happy. 

For now keeping the markets happy is easy for the government... Just do the complete opposite to what the Italians are doing LOL

But in all seriousness we're a country run by crooks with Naughten the latest to show his true corrupt colours. In a normal functioning state he would have resigned or be on the precipice this week.
...and he falls on his sword. General election anyone?????
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:30pm
I'd say we'll get the same result aftet any election.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:35pm
perhaps. although, maybe the fact that varadkar has acted early on this, that may keep FF on side somewhat
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 6:59pm
There's a storm approaching. FG would be mad not to go soon.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:07pm

There's a storm approaching. FG would be mad not to go soon.
There's already a thread on storms Coleman... Stop clogging this thread upThumbs Down
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:34pm

I dunno if he is corrupt ( know nothing about the man really) but one thing he isn't is a student of recent Irish political history, nor does his recent reading material include tribunal reports. You might think he would have heard of a Mr Lowry from Tipp at some point though, maybe he even knows the man personally as they work in the same building from time to time. Exceptionally naive at best.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:49pm

I dunno if he is corrupt ( know nothing about the man really) but one thing he isn't is a student of recent Irish political history, nor does his recent reading material include tribunal reports. You might think he would have heard of a Mr Lowry from Tipp at some point though, maybe he even knows the man personally as they work in the same building from time to time. Exceptionally naive at best.

Exceptionally naive is one way of putting it. On a separate but not an entirely unrelated note has Mr Varadkar ever explained why he met Mr O'Brien at Davos in January? I don't believe so. Perhaps it is something the IT and other non O'Brien affiliated media outlets should revisit.

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:59am

I have met him a few times as my neighbour is mates with him. Seems like a decent sort and I reckon it was naivety more than anything.
An incredibly stupid thing to do .

It probably wont make much difference to him,he wont be a minister again but will still be a TD.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:12am
I’d say its naivety more than anything else as he comes across very capable in the media and always thought he was going to move upwards in a reshuffle. 

Another thing though, do we really need broadband in rural areas? I live in a rural area and I receive 4g signal to which I can tether to my smart TV and dodgy box etc. 
With the advancement in technology and with the development of 5g surely to f**k we are going away from digging up rural roads and instead invest in wireless technology?

Few lads here into their I.T sh*te so they maybe in a better position to tell why it can’t be achieved.  

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:24am
FF must be terrified of an election. Some talk about an election possibly in early December but can't see politicians wanting to be out on the doors then

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 12 Oct 2018 at 9:24am
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

I’d say its naivety more than anything else as he comes across very capable in the media and always thought he was going to move upwards in a reshuffle. 

Another thing though, do we really need broadband in rural areas? I live in a rural area and I receive 4g signal to which I can tether to my smart TV and dodgy box etc. 
With the advancement in technology and with the development of 5g surely to f**k we are going away from digging up rural roads and instead invest in wireless technology?

Few lads here into their I.T sh*te so they maybe in a better position to tell why it can’t be achieved.  

This was probably his only opportunity to be a minister.He has made some fairly poor choices,he was one of the TD's behind the move to oust Kenny a few years back ,so that had him out of the loop for any gov. jobs.
Then he left FG over the Roscommon hospital issue,only ever going to get a ministry when numbers are tight and hes needed.He will be a reelected for the next few campaigns but unlikley to get a job in gov again.

* I think fibre is needed if you plan on doing anything more high speed than the typical household.I dont think any other tech can match fibre yet including 5G.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

This was probably his only opportunity to be a minister.He has made some fairly poor choices,he was one of the TD's behind the move to oust Kenny a few years back ,so that had him out of the loop for any gov. jobs.
Then he left FG over the Roscommon hospital issue,only ever going to get a ministry when numbers are tight and hes needed.He will be a reelected for the next few campaigns but unlikley to get a job in gov again.

* I think fibre is needed if you plan on doing anything more high speed than the typical household.I dont think any other tech can match fibre yet including 5G.

but that raises another point. why connect these homes with fibre if its ott. i can totally understand if it'S going to an area of industry in a rural area. 

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 12 Oct 2018 at 9:57am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:56am

but that raises another point. why connect these homes with fibre if its ott. i can totally understand if it dong to an area of industry in a rural area. 
I’d presume it’s to develop industry in these areas. As opposed to supplying high powered broadband to you to watch a match illegally 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:00am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

but that raises another point. why connect these homes with fibre if its ott. i can totally understand if it dong to an area of industry in a rural area. 
I’d presume it’s to develop industry in these areas. As opposed to supplying high powered broadband to you to watch a match illegally 

but part of this deal was that the consortium behind it would cough up 50% of the costs and would own the infrastructure after 20 years. that was always going to be a read flag. in 1998 broadband internet availability wasn't even available. whats to say in 2038 that broadband is obsolete? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic