FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBritain/Ireland may bid to host World Cup 2030

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I cannot see how FIFA will grant 5 automatic playing places. And even if they were prepared to do so, there is no way UEFA will allow 5 of Europe's 14 or 15 places to go to this bid. And without UEFA's support, there is no way the bid could even get awarded the tournament.

Should this bid win, they might permit one automatic qualifier (presumably England as the major host?).

Which is no more "odd" than eg Romania, Azerbaijan or (ahem) ROI hosting Euro 2021 without having qualified.

The 2007 Asian Cup was hosted by Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam.  And this was for a 16-team tournament.  So a 48 team World Cup could easily accommodate 4 or 5 host countries.  Yes Ireland, Romania etc. are hosting Euro 2021 without playing in it.  But this is due to the tournament being played in host cities across the continent rather than countries.  Pretty sure Mexico and Canada won't have to qualify for the 2026 World Cup they are co-hosting with the US.

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

It will upset Territorial, but surely the answer is a GB and Ireland bid rather than a UK and Ireland one?
Whether you are determined to ignore NI's position as part of the UK or not, fact is, neither definition is correct.

Not ignoring NI being part of the UK, the fact is it isn't part of GB.  The clue is in the full name of the UK being The United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  So if The FA want to shave a host country off their bid to increase their chances of winning...

All meaningless conjecture anyway.  It won't have the support of UEFA let alone get voted on by FIFA.

Edited by newrynyuk - 07 Mar 2021 at 7:06pm
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:34pm

I cannot see how FIFA will grant 5 automatic playing places. And even if they were prepared to do so, there is no way UEFA will allow 5 of Europe's 14 or 15 places to go to this bid. And without UEFA's support, there is no way the bid could even get awarded the tournament.

Should this bid win, they might permit one automatic qualifier (presumably England as the major host?).

Which is no more "odd" than eg Romania, Azerbaijan or (ahem) ROI hosting Euro 2021 without having qualified.

The 2007 Asian Cup was hosted by Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam.  And this was for a 16-team tournament. 
The 2007 Asian Cup (top googling btw!) has zero relevance to a World Cup Finals.

So a 48 team World Cup could easily accommodate 4 or 5 host countries.  Yes Ireland, Romania etc. are hosting Euro 2021 without playing in it. 
In theory it could, but in practice it won't.

If UEFA is to fend off counter-bids from the other Confederations (esp CONMEBOL), it can only allow one European bid to go forward.

And if it is to be the FA bid, there is NO WAY the other UEFA members will accept five of UEFA's 15 or 16 places being reserved for all five, none whatever, esp since four of them qualify so rarely by the normal route.

But this is due to the tournament being played in host cities across the continent rather than countries. 
This is not like eg the Olympics, where cities bid.

When UEFA indicated they would allow multiple venues (but not automatic qualification with it), they invited their various Member Associations to nominate stadia. So the FAI proposed the AVIVA and were accepted, while eg the Belgian FA proposed the (new) Heysel and were rejected.

I repeat, it is Member Associations who bid for these things, not governments, states or cities.

Pretty sure Mexico and Canada won't have to qualify for the 2026 World Cup they are co-hosting with the US.
North/Central America is completely different to Europe.

For a 32 team Finals, CONCACAF gets 3 automatic places, plus a "half" place (i.e. play-off).

For a 48 team finals, this is likely to rise to 5 or 6. The other Members are not going to object to the 3 host Associations qualifying automatically, if they (i.e. the others) have now a better chance of qualifying with Mexico and USA out of the way.

It will upset Territorial, but surely the answer is a GB and Ireland bid rather than a UK and Ireland one?
Whether you are determined to ignore NI's position as part of the UK or not, fact is, neither definition is correct.

Not ignoring NI being part of the UK, the fact is it isn't part of GB.  The clue is in the full name of the UK being The United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  So if The FA want to shave a host country off their bid to increase their chances of winning...
I really have no idea what point you're trying to make - call it "GB & Ireland" if you like.

For as I've argued above, it is entirely irrelevant.

If this bid is to succeed, it will have to get the support of UEFA. And UEFA will not support it on the basis of mulltiple automatic qualification.

They might accept England on the basis that they are doing "the heavy lifting" (plus they always qualify anyhow!), but that will be the hight of it, since if they were to allow one more, then they'd have to allow all four others.

And I repeat, they will NOT do that.

Thereafter, should the bid succeed, it will be for the five to agree the venues between them. On which point the IFA has already tacitly accepted they will not get a 40k stadium built for them, meaning they will want something else.

And since a National Training Centre has been hinted at, I'm guessing that they'd accept that as providing a much better legacy for the game in NI than half a dozen games in Belfast.

Especially if they haven't qualified to play any of those games!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:36pm
There's always the possibility of some form of qualifying system being proposed solely for the hosts.

For example, they could say "England get to host plus one more host nation via a host-nation playoff competition". Then, say none of the other four qualify through the normal route (pre-playoffs), a playoff path is preserved just for those four, and it functions as something of a warm-up event for the tournament proper too. Now there is a question as to what happens if the some of the others qualify automatically and whether there is a retained additional spot or not but that could all be worked out.

That balances the issues of the need for host-nation representation without taking up spaces unnecessarily or for sides who are not deserving of a place on a sporting level.

Now there are options and trade offs and balances and discussions to be had to gain support for a position like that but there are definitely things that can be done to win support from UEFA for the bid even including some sort of qualifying system that guarantees a minimum of two places for the hosts while giving the others a chance to qualify.

Which would be the best is another matter entirely, but I'd prefer a negotiating position where the opening gambit was "England plus whoever else qualifies automatically plus a guaranteed playoff path for the others who don't make it", which would likely be resolved as "England plus whoever else qualifies automatically and only if none of them do then a guaranteed playoff path for the other four for a second spot".

Edited by SuperDave84 - 08 Mar 2021 at 1:37pm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 3:16pm

The 2007 Asian Cup was hosted by Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam.  And this was for a 16-team tournament. 
The 2007 Asian Cup (top googling btw!) has zero relevance to a World Cup Finals.

Oh there was no need to Google that! I can't be the only one who remembers Iraq's shock Asian Cup triumph.

Pretty sure Mexico and Canada won't have to qualify for the 2026 World Cup they are co-hosting with the US.

For a 32 team Finals, CONCACAF gets 3 automatic places, plus a "half" place (i.e. play-off).

For a 48 team finals, this is likely to rise to 5 or 6. The other Members are not going to object to the 3 host Associations qualifying automatically, if they (i.e. the others) have now a better chance of qualifying with Mexico and USA out of the way.

So in a 48-team World Cup, CONCACAF would get an increase in places, but UEFA wouldn't?  Of course they would. And that will cover the extended hosts automatic qualification spots.

I really have no idea what point you're trying to make - call it "GB & Ireland" if you like.

You DO know that Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, right?  That's what I'm saying, It should be a GB and Ireland (i.e. not involving Northern Ireland, of The IFA if you insist it's associations not coountries) bid.  4 host countries still too many?  The South American bid is Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile.

Edited by newrynyuk - 08 Mar 2021 at 3:30pm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 3:23pm
Double post. Sorry

Edited by newrynyuk - 08 Mar 2021 at 3:30pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:03pm

This is not Russia or Qatar.

If any PM of a western democracy was found to have offered bribes over something like this, he/she would lose his/her job at a minimum. More likely prison would follow.

That is what they thought the last time they bid. They got two votes out of 24, one of them their own, the other NZ (iirc).

Anyhow, the link I posted in my previous reply to 'daithi' appraises the chances of possible bids. And as it indicates, England is far from a shoo-in.

"Following a bid headed by former Olympic champion Sebastian Coe and then-Mayor of London Ken Livingstone, London was selected as the host city on 6 July 2005 [when the UK had a Labour government]".

So, you're confident England will get the 2030 World Cup, BoJo will win the next two General Elections and he will then spend £100m+ on a stadium in Belfast that the IFA aren't even asking for?

And your Lottery numbers? LOL

The 2006 World Cup was meant to go to South Africa, but in the end, the Germans paid the right people and the vote went their way.

Number of days any German has spent in prison for that: 0.

For Boris there will be zero consequences too. Just pay the £5 or £6 million needed for every vote.

The worst that will happen is that, in 2050, a FIFA Ethics Committee will launch an investigation into England's successful bid for the World Cup and find a few irregularities. They'll promise that they'll tighten their rules in future and that will be that.

And the point about the London Olympic Stadium is not about 2012. It's about its current use. West Ham got a great deal from Boris on that one.

And why aren't the IFA asking for a new stadium? It would be pure bloody madness to decline this, once in a generation, opportunity for them to get their hands on a world class facility!

Edited by Terzino - 08 Mar 2021 at 4:07pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

There's always the possibility of some form of qualifying system being proposed solely for the hosts.

For example, they could say "England get to host plus one more host nation via a host-nation playoff competition". Then, say none of the other four qualify through the normal route (pre-playoffs), a playoff path is preserved just for those four, and it functions as something of a warm-up event for the tournament proper too. Now there is a question as to what happens if the some of the others qualify automatically and whether there is a retained additional spot or not but that could all be worked out.

That balances the issues of the need for host-nation representation without taking up spaces unnecessarily or for sides who are not deserving of a place on a sporting level.

Now there are options and trade offs and balances and discussions to be had to gain support for a position like that but there are definitely things that can be done to win support from UEFA for the bid even including some sort of qualifying system that guarantees a minimum of two places for the hosts while giving the others a chance to qualify.

Which would be the best is another matter entirely, but I'd prefer a negotiating position where the opening gambit was "England plus whoever else qualifies automatically plus a guaranteed playoff path for the others who don't make it", which would likely be resolved as "England plus whoever else qualifies automatically and only if none of them do then a guaranteed playoff path for the other four for a second spot".

Maybe some sort of compromise like this might work.

Anyhow, when people wonder at the IFA joining the bid but not hosting any games, they might like to consider this. Any of ROI, Scotland or Wales could host games but fail to qualify, so end up watching other countries playing in AVIVA, Hampden, Millennium etc.

Whereas if NI did qualify, I could take our having to play our games in any of those stadia (or in England)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:48pm

For a 48 team finals, this is likely to rise to 5 or 6[ Note, I've just checked, it's 6]. The other Members are not going to object to the 3 host Associations qualifying automatically, if they (i.e. the others) have now a better chance of qualifying with Mexico and USA out of the way.

So in a 48-team World Cup, CONCACAF would get an increase in places, but UEFA wouldn't?  Of course they would. And that will cover the extended hosts automatic qualification spots.

Different numbers entirely.  CONCACAF has 43 Members, but the VAST majority are no-hopers (US Virgin Isles, Monserrat, St. Kitts & Nevis etc):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF

For a 32-team Finals, Mexico are virtually guaranteed to qualify, with USA v.likely, with the rest scrambling for one other place.

When the Finals are expanded to 48, CONCACAF will get uplifted to 6 places. So that even with 3 held off for USA/Can/Mex, the rest now have a much better chance than before with 3 extra places up for grabs.

And that's before you consider the overwhelming power, both footballing and economic, which USA/Can/Mex hold in getting their way.

While FIFA would appreciate the chance to give football a boost in Canada, in a way that eg ROI or NI don't need.

Compare that with UEFA. We've already seen that when the Finals were bumped up from 24 teams to 32, UEFA got shafted by FIFA in only getting one more of the extra 8 teams.

Worse still, when the Finals are expanded by another 16 places to 48, UEFA will only get an extra 3 of them (13 to 16).

Which means that if three, four or five are held off for host Associations, the rest will have even FEWER qualifying places open to them than they do now, when the Finals are 50% bigger!

And when you consider that those others include giants like Germany, Spain and Italy, it makes it even more certain that UEFA will not permit all the countries in a multiple bid to be permitted automatic qualification.

The numbers are all here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

4 host countries still too many?  The South American bid is Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile.
CONMEBOL has 10 Members. Yes, 10.

With 32 team Finals, they get 5 entries. When the Finals are expanded to 48 teams, they will get 6. Meaning that with the four hosts qualifying automatically, there will still be just 6 teams competing for 2 places: Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela and Bolivia.

The first two of those are overwhelmingly likely to get there, the other four hardly ever do (if at all), they won't complain.

You DO know that Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, right?  That's what I'm saying, It should be a GB and Ireland (i.e. not involving Northern Ireland, of The IFA if you insist it's associations not coountries) bid. 

How do I get it across to you?

Countries, governments, cities etc do NOT bid to host a World Cup Finals.

Member Associations do.

Now for some reason, it seems to matter to that it be called a "GB and Ireland bid".

It's incorrect, even petty, but if you want to, then run with it.

I just hope your head doesn't explode if anyone ever refers to it as the "British Isles bid" LOL

Edited by Territorial - 08 Mar 2021 at 8:51pm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:17pm

For a 48 team finals, this is likely to rise to 5 or 6[ Note, I've just checked, it's 6]. The other Members are not going to object to the 3 host Associations qualifying automatically, if they (i.e. the others) have now a better chance of qualifying with Mexico and USA out of the way.

Different numbers entirely.  CONCACAF has 43 Members, but the VAST majority are no-hopers (US Virgin Isles, Monserrat, St. Kitts & Nevis etc):

For a 32-team Finals, Mexico are virtually guaranteed to qualify, with USA v.likely, with the rest scrambling for one other place.

When the Finals are expanded to 48, CONCACAF will get uplifted to 6 places. So that even with 3 held off for USA/Can/Mex, the rest now have a much better chance than before with 3 extra places up for grabs.

And that's before you consider the overwhelming power, both footballing and economic, which USA/Can/Mex hold in getting their way.

While FIFA would appreciate the chance to give football a boost in Canada, in a way that eg ROI or NI don't need.

Compare that with UEFA. We've already seen that when the Finals were bumped up from 24 teams to 32, UEFA got shafted by FIFA in only getting one more of the extra 8 teams.

Worse still, when the Finals are expanded by another 16 places to 48, UEFA will only get an extra 3 of them (13 to 16).

Which means that if three, four or five are held off for host Associations, the rest will have even FEWER qualifying places open to them than they do now, when the Finals are 50% bigger!

And when you consider that those others include giants like Germany, Spain and Italy, it makes it even more certain that UEFA will not permit all the countries in a multiple bid to be permitted automatic qualification.

The numbers are all here:

4 host countries still too many?  The South American bid is Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile.
CONMEBOL has 10 Members. Yes, 10.

With 32 team Finals, they get 5 entries. When the Finals are expanded to 48 teams, they will get 6. Meaning that with the four hosts qualifying automatically, there will still be just 6 teams competing for 2 places: Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela and Bolivia.

The first two of those are overwhelmingly likely to get there, the other four hardly ever do (if at all), they won't complain.

You DO know that Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, right?  That's what I'm saying, It should be a GB and Ireland (i.e. not involving Northern Ireland, of The IFA if you insist it's associations not coountries) bid. 

How do I get it across to you?

Countries, governments, cities etc do NOT bid to host a World Cup Finals.

Member Associations do.

Now for some reason, it seems to matter to that it be called a "GB and Ireland bid".

It's incorrect, even petty, but if you want to, then run with it.

I just hope your head doesn't explode if anyone ever refers to it as the "British Isles bid" LOL

LOL

Let’s just agree that this bid hasn’t a hope of hosting the 2030 World Cup. The IFA are gonna have to fund their new training centre another way.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

The 2006 World Cup was meant to go to South Africa, but in the end, the Germans paid the right people and the vote went their way.

Number of days any German has spent in prison for that: 0.

Except which Germans paid for it?

It wasn't their politicians, that's for sure, since Merkel & Co were far too cute to allow themselves to get caught up in that.

Rather it was big business - kit manufacturers, media giants etc - see eg the late Robert Louis-Dreyfus (father of Sunderland's new owner, btw):

"In October 2015 the German news magazine Der Spigel reported that the bidding committee for the FIFA World Cup 2006 had set-up a slush fund that [Robert] Louis-Dreyfus, at the time CEO of Adidas, filled with 10.3 million Swiss francs in 2000. Allegedly these funds were used to bribe numerous FIFA officials and secure Germany's bid to host the 2006 World Cup, whilst a FIFA report had strongly criticised England's supposedly 'unprofessional' rival bid presentation. According to internal FIFA documents, Louis-Dreyfus had demanded a repayment of the funds in 2004, which were transferred as €6.7 million via a FIFA account in Geneva to an account held by Louis-Dreyfus."

For Boris there will be zero consequences too. Just pay the £5 or £6 million needed for every vote.

You're way behind, Terzino.

The 2006 Finals were awarded by a vote of FIFA's 20 EXCO members - easy enough to bribe, easy enough to keep quiet.

They've changed it now so that it is voted for by all 209 FIFA Member Associations. To give all of them £5m would cost the guts of a billion quid. Try keeping that one quiet!

And why aren't the IFA asking for a new stadium? It would be pure bloody madness to decline this, once in a generation, opportunity for them to get their hands on a world class facility!

A new 40k stadium would cost something north of £100m.

In return we might get half a dozen matches in 2030. Thereafter we would have difficulty selling out enough matches even to pay for the upkeep. And it would also make Windsor virtually redundant.

Whereas with £100m, we could spend, say, £40m on a National Football Centre, £40m on IL grounds and £20m on grassroots facilities.

That would proivide a far greater legacy than the chance to say we got to watch Egypt play Chile in the new Superdome down the road.

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:39pm
Well there you have it. 

The backing of the British Commonwealth will give the English bid a substantial advantage over rivals. How can they lose?

All that's really left up for discussion at this stage is the mascot. Will it be a Bulldog or a Dragon, or even a Unicorn (to keep the Scots happy)?

Edited by Terzino - 09 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:25am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Why on earth would a non-host get a new training centre as part of a World Cup hosting by other countries?

As far as I know this bid has two countries bidding for it.  There are 5 football associations as part of the bid but that does not separate the fact it’s two counties.   If one of the countries which is made up of 4 associations wants to offer a training base to some of the competing team where is the harm in that.  

Its 4 countries.  UK is a kingdom not a country 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Why on earth would a non-host get a new training centre as part of a World Cup hosting by other countries?

As far as I know this bid has two countries bidding for it.  There are 5 football associations as part of the bid but that does not separate the fact it’s two counties.   If one of the countries which is made up of 4 associations wants to offer a training base to some of the competing team where is the harm in that.  

Its 4 countries.  UK is a kingdom not a country 

Head along to the UN and look for the name plate where it says England Scotland or Wales or N Ireland and you will be looking.  

By your logic Spain is not a country either and Denmark as they are both kingdoms.  
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 10:23am
And neither is Kerry!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 12:03pm
Spain Portgual bid confirmed

Edited by Denis Irwin - 05 Jun 2021 at 12:04pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

That'd be a class one to qualify for. Easy to get to, cheap places for accomodation/food/drink, good transport, nice stadiums, good weather.

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

That'd be a class one to qualify for. Easy to get to, cheap places for accomodation/food/drink, good transport, nice stadiums, good weather.

Would make for a great holiday alright - but - I'm just wondering, will the Spanish clubs' persistence with that Super League work against the bid, seeing as UEFA only want 1 European bid to be submitted?

It wouldn't be fair on the Portuguese though as their clubs had nothing to do with it. 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 05 Jun 2021 at 1:12pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I'm just wondering, will the Spanish clubs' persistence with that Super League work against the bid, seeing as UEFA only want 1 European bid to be submitted?

It wouldn't be fair on the Portuguese though as their clubs had nothing to do with it. 

The bid will be by the two National Associations, who are dead-set against the ESL, not by the clubs.

Though as it happens, the President of La Liga has also been one of the most outspoken opponents in Europe of the whole ESL proposal, since a breakaway by the Big Three would destroy his own league.

And the Portugese FA and league will be the same, for fear of possibly losing Benfica, Porto or Sporting.

Edited by Territorial - 05 Jun 2021 at 7:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
  Share Topic