You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit - Possible uplift for Irish PL players?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brexit - Possible uplift for Irish PL players?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:43am
Interesting article here from FiveThirtyEight.com stats nerds. 

Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 12:32pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:46pm
It will be very positive for Ireland. 

If we manage to get our own house in order i.e Get rid of gap year in Underage leagues and improve the LOI we could potentially keep players longer and get a premium when they eventually move. We should be doing this now even if there is no Brexit but with Brexit it gives our players a big advantage.
It's not me it's you:-)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

But how are our players going to improve?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

practice
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 3:56pm

The assumption being that more resources will be put into our players because the english clubs cannot but a journey man seasoned pro for next to nothing from some other country. Our lads (and UK lads) will have a bigger opportunity to play first team football. Currently it seems only the very top players get a chance out of the youth teams.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

The assumption being that more resources will be put into our players because the english clubs cannot but a journey man seasoned pro for next to nothing from some other country. Our lads (and UK lads) will have a bigger opportunity to play first team football. Currently it seems only the very top players get a chance out of the youth teams.
It was meant as rhetorical. I get the assumption, I just don't think Irish players will improve much because of that.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:26pm
Well it's common knowledge that the number of scouts from the UK attending underage matches around the country are far lower than they were 10 or so years ago.

If Brexit has a massive impact on the number of non UK/Irish players in terms of quotas in academies it could in turn see the increased presence of the number of scouts from UK clubs taking interest in Irish talent.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Well it's common knowledge that the number of scouts from the UK attending underage matches around the country are far lower than they were 10 or so years ago.

If Brexit has a massive impact on the number of non UK/Irish players in terms of quotas in academies it could in turn see the increased presence of the number of scouts from UK clubs taking interest in Irish talent.

Is that not because the quality of player isn't there? And when I say the quality of player, I mean the technical ability required is greater. Even the Irish lads that make it in England are lacking in technique.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:38pm

Is that not because the quality of player isn't there? And when I say the quality of player, I mean the technical ability required is greater. Even the Irish lads that make it in England are lacking in technique.

The DDSL would be up there with the best underage leagues in Europe standard wise.

Without factoring in other really strong teams/leagues around the rest of the country.

I suppose it was always handy/easy for English clubs to come over here and cherry pick players because lets face it cost was minimal for scouts, access was straight forward.

I think nowadays because the world has gotten so much smaller with modern technology, easy get work permits for talented players etc aswell as the obvious (our major problems from the very top down to grassroots) our players simply aren't as in demand as they once were.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:56pm

The DDSL would be up there with the best underage leagues in Europe standard wise.

Without factoring in other really strong teams/leagues around the rest of the country.

I suppose it was always handy/easy for English clubs to come over here and cherry pick players because lets face it cost was minimal for scouts, access was straight forward.

I think nowadays because the world has gotten so much smaller with modern technology, easy get work permits for talented players etc aswell as the obvious (our major problems from the very top down to grassroots) our players simply aren't as in demand as they once were.

If this is true, and I am not doubting it, merely asking the question, how come so many of the very best then go to England's biggest academies and fail and end up nowhere? And how come those that do make it, do so not on the basis of technical ability?
Maybe this generation coming through will be different, but if the players leaving or that good, where is the problem. G-Mac on here has said the same about the talent up  to 14s.
I have always thought the solution was obvious; keep them at home for as long as possible. How that is achieved, with the FAI and the culture at home, is another matter.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:58pm
I'd say it will see the return of Home Farm Everton and that crap again.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 5:09pm
Well tbf it's only really in the last 4/5 years or so that a bigger emphasis is being put on coaches from the FAI to get their badges done and there have been significant changes to how underage leagues are ran also.

A prime example would be that the traditional 11 aside from under 12s (down) would now consist of less players thus giving kids more chances of getting touches of the ball. (Spain/Belgium/Holland etc have been doing this for years)

While the culture of "winning at all costs" still remains with some coaches, the fact that underages leagues have non competitive age groups it allows more focus on player development than on simply winning!

So there is more focus on technique now than we'll say lumping the heavy kid in goal or the big tall kid up top (to an extent)

It will probably take another 10-15 years before we're in line with the elite (in terms of how things are ran/done) but there is definitely signs of improvement.

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 9:01pm

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

It was meant as rhetorical. I get the assumption, I just don't think Irish players will improve much because of that.

It's a numbers game really. Irish players are no different to any others if they get the opportunity.  But at each stage of development there is a drop off in numbers. Players are let go because of other alternatives.  The more that stay in the system the more that reach the top.  

But I hear what you're saying about making the leap from our current level. Brexit won't save us on its own but will help if we are ready for it. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 9:03pm
There's too much money in the Premier League for them to lose their star attractions; there'll be some sort of agreement come to that will minimise the negative effects of Brexit on it.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic