You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boxing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 252>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Joke of a fight. It was like fighting a child for canelo.

I'd actually forgotten it was at Super MW. Some amount of sh*t talked in the build up about Fielding's power, he looked like he could barely through a punch. Seems like he froze badly on the night.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Joke of a fight. It was like fighting a child for canelo.

I'd actually forgotten it was at Super MW. Some amount of sh*t talked in the build up about Fielding's power, he looked like he could barely through a punch. Seems like he froze badly on the night.

He didnt freeze, he was just totally out of his depth. Anyone who has see fielding in fights before knows he about as average as they come. And when you put him in with someone like canelo then you see just how out of his depth he was. 

Edited by doherty - 16 Dec 2018 at 1:46pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

One of the easiest fights Canelo will ever have. Complete gulf in class between the two fighters.

Why do they keep referring to the ‘minor’ version of the WBA....
I assume the WBA just has one title and another 2/3 boxing associations have the same?

Alvarez now holds a minor version of the WBA world super-middleweight title.

In order to be able to put higher sanctioning fees for title bouts, the WBA (one of the 4 main sanctioning bodies, and the oldest in existence) have "Regular" and "Super" title belts, even within the same weight class. 

This might sound complicated so bear with me. The WBA proclaim someone to be "super" champion if they hold other titles (WBC, etc) along with theirs. Callum Smith is their "Super" champion after he won the Super MW World Boxing Super Series tournament, beating George Groves. Neither of them held that belt before the bout, but the WBA belt was on the line any way.

When the WBA have a "Super" champion, their secondary title (the WBA "Regular" title) becomes available for other WBA-ranked fighters to fight for, which is how Fielding won the belt in the first place. 

So basically, Canelo's title is meaningless, but don't tell Eddie Hearn that.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 10:41pm
Can't believe Chisora v Whyte is PPV. Ridiculous!

I assume AJ will be ringside and a big deal made about the winner of this fighting him in April!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 5:14am
Hearn will put any fight as a PPV. He has British boxing in a healthy place at the moment but stuff like that is ridiculous. 

I'd be interested to see the comparison of PPV figures for that fight and the Frampton fight. I'd say the Frampton fight is flying under the radar a bit which is a shame because it should be a great fight.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 7:24am
I think Eddie has backed himself into a corner here - Is contracted to do a number of PPVs for Sky each year so has no choice but to do one this weekend. The main fight v Chisora is a decent one (if it's as good as the first) but isn't  a PPV worthy event and the card certainly isn't.

Am slightly biased here as am going to Manchester but the Frampton v Warrington fight is a far more PPV worthy fight and the card is pretty stacked : a couple of real 50-50 fights on there. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 7:40am
In fairness the fight is a #1 contenders fight for one of the Boxing organisations which AJ holds the belt for between 2 British Heavyweights. I think that alone makes it PPV worthy albeit not a very good one but it has a selling point.

I think people would rather see Whyte win and become #1 contender than Chisora.

1 thing I find cringy is David Haye being in Chisora’s corner after all the handbags they went through. It’s not exactly Apollo Creed going into Rocky’s corner
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I think Eddie has backed himself into a corner here - Is contracted to do a number of PPVs for Sky each year so has no choice but to do one this weekend. The main fight v Chisora is a decent one (if it's as good as the first) but isn't  a PPV worthy event and the card certainly isn't.

Am slightly biased here as am going to Manchester but the Frampton v Warrington fight is a far more PPV worthy fight and the card is pretty stacked : a couple of real 50-50 fights on there. 

He probably does have a deal to do a certain amount of PPV. The only thing is you can over do it. I remember there was a period, granted during The recession, but there were hardly any PPV, only really the big mega Vegas fights. Can't remember who said it but this he said about David Haye that he had 'killed PPV in this country' as the fights they were putting on were sh*t. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 1:00pm

Hearn will put any fight as a PPV. He has British boxing in a healthy place at the moment but stuff like that is ridiculous. 

I'd be interested to see the comparison of PPV figures for that fight and the Frampton fight. I'd say the Frampton fight is flying under the radar a bit which is a shame because it should be a great fight.
I am really looking forward to the Frampton fight. Two very likeable lads and I think it will be a lot closer than the odds suggest.

The Chisora fight will be a hyped-up snooze fest.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am really looking forward to the Frampton fight. Two very likeable lads and I think it will be a lot closer than the odds suggest.

If it's half as good as last time it will be a better spectacle than Frampton/Warrington.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 4:40pm
Chisora v whyte does not warrant to be pay per view. Last fight was good but id expect whyte to win more easily this time. Frampton v warrington is very 50-50. Ive seen most of their fight individually. Warrington is fairly solid, be a tough one for frampton. Too close to call for me this one.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm

To be fair, their first fight was decent enough but putting it as a PPV is laughable.

Frampton is lucky that he has the advantage of seeing what happened to Lee Selby when he underestimated Warrington, so he's unlikely to make the same mistake. If he gets caught up in a similar, brawling style of fight, I feel he may end up gassing towards the end. Not convinced about his power at this heavier weight. Hope he wins though, would be great for him to get another shot at Santa Cruz.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 5:49pm

To be fair, their first fight was decent enough but putting it as a PPV is laughable.

Frampton is lucky that he has the advantage of seeing what happened to Lee Selby when he underestimated Warrington, so he's unlikely to make the same mistake. If he gets caught up in a similar, brawling style of fight, I feel he may end up gassing towards the end. Not convinced about his power at this heavier weight. Hope he wins though, would be great for him to get another shot at Santa Cruz.

True, it was. It was a poor standard though, hardly the 'Rumble in the Jungle'!

I am no fan of Leeds United, nor the Kaiser Chiefs, but Warrington's walk-on is class.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:18pm
Whyte/Chisora may not be the most spectacular of fights.

But the feud has probably developed the 'best' worst diss of all time. Even worse than David Haye's "Your mum" insult

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Whyte/Chisora may not be the most spectacular of fights.

But the feud has probably developed the 'best' worst diss of all time. Even worse than David Haye's "Your mum" insult

LOL
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 2:36pm
Will certainly be a sh*t fight so

Edited by lassassinblanc - 21 Dec 2018 at 2:37pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 11:45pm
Anyone able to check on poor Byrner?
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 1:56am
Frampton well beaten i thought. Great performance by JW
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 252>
  Share Topic