You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bloody Sunday; after 38 years....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloody Sunday; after 38 years....
    Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 12:53am

Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Soldiers face prosecution over fatal civilian shootings after 12-year inquiry publishes findings

Derry%20on%20Bloody%20Sunday A Para grabs a youth by the hair as he arrests him in Derry on Bloody Sunday. Photograph: Fred Hoare/Belfast Telegraph

The long-awaited report into the Bloody Sunday massacre will conclude that a number of the fatal shootings of civilians by British soldiers were unlawful killings, the Guardian has learned.

Lord Saville's 12-year inquiry into the deaths, the longest public inquiry in British legal history, will conclude with a report published next Tuesday, putting severe pressure on the Public Prosecution Service in Northern Ireland to prosecute soldiers.

Lord Trimble, the former leader of the Ulster Unionists and one of the architects of the Good Friday agreement, revealed to the Guardian that when Tony Blair agreed to the inquiry in 1998, he warned the then prime minister that any conclusion that departed "one millimetre" from the earlier 1972 Widgery report into the killings would lead to "soldiers in the dock".

One unionist MP who did not wish to be named described the conclusion of unlawful killings as a "hand-grenade with the pin pulled out that is about to be tossed into the lap of the PPS" in Northern Ireland.

Thirteen unarmed civilians, all of them male, were shot dead at a civil rights march in the Bogside area of Derry in January 1972. A 14th man died of his wounds several months later.

The killings electrified nationalist protests against British rule in Northern Ireland and Bloody Sunday became a critical moment in the history of the Troubles, dramatically boosting the popularity of the Provisional IRA in the province and, according to many people, acting as a catalyst for much of the violence that followed.

The results of Saville's hearing will be released to the public at 3.30pm on Tuesday when David Cameron announces its publication to the House of Commons.

Up to 10,000 people are expected to march around lunchtime that day into Guildhall Square in Derry, where they will watch live reports about the inquiry's conclusions on giant television screens. They will trace the same route that the civil rights marchers had attempted to take on Bloody Sunday, which the Stormont government, dominated in 1972 by unionists, had banned.

Families of those killed in the massacre 38 years ago have focused on a number of soldiers who were identified and gave evidence during the 12 year old tribunal. These include "Soldier F" who, according to the relatives of the Bloody Sunday dead, shot four to six of the victims. Told during the inquiry that his evidence amounted to perjury, he did not demur.

Though witnesses were protected from self-incrimination, an exception was made for perjury. And government law officers made it clear that criminal prosecution against an individual was not ruled out in the light of any evidence that emerged from other witnesses or from documents. Sources familiar with the inquiry said yesterday that Saville may not explicitly recommend criminal prosecutions and much will depend on his message, whether direct or indirect, to the PPS.

The PPS, headed by Sir Alasdair Fraser, will make the decision on prosecutions because the killings occurred in its jurisdiction, rather than the Crown Prosecution Service in London. Fraser will have to take into account the public interest in a prosecution, and the likelihood of securing a conviction.

Among survivors who were shot on the day and the families of the dead, there are many demanding that a number of British paratroopers should be prosecuted through the courts.

They could initiate a private prosecution and sue for compensation in a civil court.

Trimble, a Nobel peace prize winner, said that during the all-party talks of late 1997 and early 1998 he told Blair that a new inquiry would end up with soldiers being dragged through the courts.

He described the establishment of the tribunal during the peace talks as a "sideline deal independent from the Belfast agreement".

On his warning to Blair, Trimble said: "I just reminded him that the Widgery report of 1972 concluded that the troops' behaviour, to quote from the report, 'bordered on the reckless'.

"Then I told the prime minister that if you moved from one millimetre from the that conclusion you were into the area of manslaughter, if not murder," he said.

"I pointed out to Blair that we would see soldiers in the dock. I told him that at the time of the talks leading to the Belfast agreement," Trimble said.

Blair and the then Northern Ireland secretary, Mo Mowlam, announced the establishment of the Saville inquiry on 30 January 1998 – the 26th anniversary of the shootings, citing "compelling new evidence".

At the time Blair and Mowlam, who has since died, were locked in the intensive negotiations between unionists and nationalist that ultimately led to the Good Friday agreement of 1998.

However, Trimble said that the inquiry was "not in any way part of the agreement".

He added: "At the time of the talks the parties, it seemed to me, did not want to be obsessing on the past. The problem was that Blair, for reasons that I can't understand, gave in to pressure for a selective inquiry."

The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 1:46am
It's about time... now how about some justice for the victims.

They were fookin murdered and the crime was covered up. (albeit poorly)

UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 1:55am
fcuking unionist ***t politicians making a political football out of it , wrong was done by the sioldiers and they should pay , end of.
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 3:31am
Soldier's they will get, but some body gave the orders that day, somebody sent those soldier's in there that day knowing what there was going to be only one outcome...."lets show those paddys who's in charge"

Sleep gentle our Rose of Mooncoin.......
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 4:11am
38 years it has taken them to finally admit they murdered innocnent people and then covered it up.
whats more pathetic is the unionists who refuse to admit there was a crime at all
put em under pressure!
MintBerryCrunch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MintBerryCrunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 4:32am
its that long most of them are probably in their 60s and 70s by the time it goes to court the f**kers will be dead
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 4:57am
Gregory Campbell of the DUP will no doubt be leading the anti-Inquiry, anti-prosecution, anti-anything bad said about the Brits, anti-Catholic, antni-Nationalist charge over the next fortnight.

I have no confidence whatsoever in prosecutions being brought against the Brits, whether those who pulled the triggers, or those who gave the orders. A tory government, coupled with unionist pressure means the best anyone can hope for is the innonce of those 14 men being declared...and we've known that for 38 years...
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 5:38am
If you look at the age if the victims-
6 x 17 year old's.
I've read before that one of hte soldiers brought his own amo and shot dead either 4 or 6 of the civilians and still claims to this day that he does not remember that 15 minute killing spree.

All those solders that killed these people were also awarded by the Queen.

This would have provided an upsurge in recruitment to alot of up and coming teens to join the PIRA.

Also the PPS in the Norn Ireland are a joke.
They refused the testify against the killers of Thomas Devlin until they brought in independant barristers and they were then forced to go ahead with the prosecution.
Dont see much hope of any soldiers being procescuted.

Edited by horsebox1977 - 11 Jun 2010 at 5:50am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 5:46am
Originally posted by horsebox1977 horsebox1977 wrote:

If you look at the age if the victims-
6 x 17 year old's.

This would have provided a springboard to alot of up and coming teens to join the PIRA

it was. that one event at that time made loads of peole join the Provos. it was the biggest recruiting event ever for them.

that one event hardened people for ever
put em under pressure!
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 5:09pm
Quote Lord Trimble, the former leader of the Ulster Unionists and one of the architects of the Good Friday agreement, revealed to the Guardian that when Tony Blair agreed to the inquiry in 1998, he warned the then prime minister that any conclusion that departed "one millimetre" from the earlier 1972 Widgery report into the killings would lead to "soldiers in the dock".

I hope it does and we finally get some justice for the families of the people that were murdered by soldiers.
However, I can't see it happening. Expect another fudge.
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 5:15pm
Imagine the darkness in someones heart to shoot and kill a defenceless teenager, Why?
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 6:37pm
One of the most disgusting acts of the last 50 years... Justice has not come half quick enough
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 7:25pm
If I was the age I am know (22), and was around when this happened I would have 100% enlisted in the Irish Republican Army the following day..... 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 1:56am
A Uk Government spokesman responded 'blah blah.......long time ago.....blah blah......time to move on.......blah blah ....not in public interest to prosecute........consider compensation for families of victims.....blah blah.
Certain mods are complete wankstains
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 3:11am
state sponsored murder, fudged, covered up and the families humiliated time and again - hopefully justice will come
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 6:10am
The brits commander that day was decorated by the queen the year after. This was one of the worst acts of the brits many state murders and cover ups on this island, somehow i doubt the families will get the justice they deserve, but heres hoping they do. 
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 7:33am
If the Brits were willing to believe that a soldier's finger 'slipped' when Aidan McAnespie was shot dead as he walked across the border, I have no confidence that soldiers shooting innocent civilians in the back as they ran away will be brought to justice.
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 7:40am
Waste of money, nothing will come out of it. Families wont be satisfied unless all the victims are decalred innocent which the British govenrment wont admit, not a chance in hell that soldiers would be prosecuted, Saville inquiry essentially a lawyers pension fund
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic