You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 9:22am
A few updates on this coming through in the last couple of days.

The tournament is now likely to be kept at 24 teams, as broadcasters weren't showing much interest in bidding for right to show qualifiers for a 32 team tournament where most decent teams would easily qualify. Ireland and the UK still expected to host the tournament.

Stadiums to be used are expected to be:

Wembley
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium 
Villa Park
Old Trafford
New Everton Stadium
St James Park
Hampden Park
Principality Stadium
Aviva Stadium
Croke Park
Casement Park (if it gets done, which it probably won't)

Also qualifying groups to have no more than five teams (and no less than four). Not sure how that will work - 12 groups, second placed teams don't automatically qualify as need to leave a qualification route for the Nations League? Or still 10 groups but a pre-qualifying tournament for teams outside the top 40 or so? Nations League is to be expanded in some way to make up for the loss of games.

Overall, looking more like that we could end up hosting 10 or 12 games but not actually qualifying for it.

Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A few updates on this coming through in the last couple of days.

The tournament is now likely to be kept at 24 teams, as broadcasters weren't showing much interest in bidding for right to show qualifiers for a 32 team tournament where most decent teams would easily qualify. Ireland and the UK still expected to host the tournament.

Stadiums to be used are expected to be:

Wembley
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium 
Villa Park
Old Trafford
New Everton Stadium
St James Park
Hampden Park
Principality Stadium
Aviva Stadium
Croke Park
Casement Park (if it gets done, which it probably won't)

Also qualifying groups to have no more than five teams (and no less than four). Not sure how that will work - 12 groups, second placed teams don't automatically qualify as need to leave a qualification route for the Nations League? Or still 10 groups but a pre-qualifying tournament for teams outside the top 40 or so? Nations League is to be expanded in some way to make up for the loss of games.

Overall, looking more like that we could end up hosting 10 or 12 games but not actually qualifying for it.

There's talk that the South American teams could be introduced to the 24/25 Nations League.
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 10:39am
I still think Turkey will get 2028.
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 8:19am
Article in the Indo this morning saying that the bid is going to push for the two nations out of the five that would be hosting the most games getting automatic qualification for the tournament. That would be England and Ireland based on reports of what the stadiums are likely to be. So having Croke Park to offer for the bid courtesy of the GAA could conceivably get us automatic qualification for Euro 2028.

On one hand I can see that it would be damaging for the tournament to have Ireland hosting 10+ games but not actually being at the tournament ourselves. On the other hand nice things never happen to us so it sounds too good to be true.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:21am
I would feel a little guilty getting automatic qualification for having two stadiums and e.g. 10 games where non-England UK countries have 1 stadium and e.g. 4 games each. 
It would be great, don't get me wrong and definitely 5 countries should not automatically qualify but still, if i was from Scotland, Wales or even other European countries I would be a little cheesed off. 

I wonder if Casement is not ready could we use another ROI stadium? At least then we have 3 stadiums and 14 games or something

Edited by t_rAndy - 11 Oct 2022 at 10:23am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I would feel a little guilty getting automatic qualification for having two stadiums and e.g. 10 games where non-England UK countries have 1 stadium and e.g. 4 games each. 
It would be great, don't get me wrong and definitely 5 countries should not automatically qualify but still, if i was from Scotland, Wales or even other European countries I would be a little cheesed off. 

I wonder if Casement is not ready could we use another ROI stadium? At least then we have 3 stadiums and 14 games or something
We don't have another suitable stadium.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:30am
The cork gaa stadium would be close no? I know part of it is currently standing but maybe they could upgrade to safe standing or something. 

I know the stadium has some other logistical issues though
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:33am

The cork gaa stadium would be close no? I know part of it is currently standing but maybe they could upgrade to safe standing or something. 

Would need huge work to meet UEFA standards. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yeah but I wonder the cost and realistic of it being completed on time versus building casement? 

Would be great to keep more games on the island versus shifting to Briton..it would also add more weight to us getting the automatic place.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:42am
Although the IFA are no doubt not happy with that and looking to push for Windsor
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:47am
The Cork stadium is absolutely miles off what is required unfortunately. Thomond Park in Limerick would probably be closer than the Cork one if you could do something with the two ends, but realistically taking the tournament beyond Dublin is unfortunately not going to be an option. We'll be lucky to get two stadiums in given that they're in the same city.

Although the IFA are no doubt not happy with that and looking to push for Windsor

Windsor's capacity is well short, there's no way they could get it up to 40k - or even 35k at which point an exception might me made for them.

Edited by You Tell Me - 11 Oct 2022 at 10:49am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:51am

Poland auto q'd for 2012 hosting 15 games, which we wouldn't be far off. But at the same time if Scotland or Wales were getting to auto qualify and we weren't I think we'd be justifiably annoyed.

Edited by You Tell Me - 11 Oct 2022 at 10:52am
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:21am
Cork if they could sort out the the terrace problem which shouldn’t be too much of an issue is the obvious choice.
It’s not only the stadium they look at its infrastructure hotels beds etc.
Cork has an airport well served with public transportation and easy to get to from Dublin by car.

We ares going to have to invest if we want to get the return.

The infrastructure and hotel beds was one of the reasons we lost out on hosting the rugby World Cup.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 12:13pm
Would Turkey be favourites to win the bid? They have applied to host the last 6 Euros. They are due one haha. 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Would Turkey be favourites to win the bid? They have applied to host the last 6 Euros. They are due one haha. 

They have bid for 2032 also so hopefully GBI bid get 2028 & the Turks gets 2032.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 12:23pm
UEFA spread Euro 2020+1 around the whole of Europe to avoid giving it to the Turks. That's how little interest they have in them hosting it.

UK and Ireland hosting in 2028 is all but a done deal. We/they pulled out of the World Cup bid basically on the condition they'd get this instead. It's just the breakdown of games, stadiums and qualification arrangements that has to be bottomed out.

Italy will get Euro 2032. The size of the tournament now means that one of England, France, Germany, Italy or Spain will have to be involved each time, either as a solo host or co-host, to make it work. Russia could do it as well obviously but not any time soon.

Edited by You Tell Me - 11 Oct 2022 at 1:16pm
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 1:14pm
Turkey prop up Northern Cyprus, which is an illegal entity, so hopefully UEFA continue to ignore them.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 1:39pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yeah but I wonder the cost and realistic of it being completed on time versus building casement? 

Would be great to keep more games on the island versus shifting to Briton..it would also add more weight to us getting the automatic place.

Borussia is quite correect aboiut the huge expenditure needed for Cork, and with Cork GAA already heavily in debt, would the government really shell out millions to have a 3rd venue in ROI for an additional 4 or 5 games, for a stadium which would then be far more than Cork GAA needed?

(Don't know the answer to that myself).

As for Casement, if it could physically be built in time (completely up-in-the-air at this stage), then I've no doubt that all the interested parties (IFA, GAA, Stormont, Belfast City Council, even Westminster) would push for it to be used.

But in truth, I'd say you'd need to see clear progress on the grounf by 2026; which would mean starting the work by 2024/25; which iwould also mean Stormont finally getting its head from out its arse by next year (latest).

And I wouldn't be at all confident about that last happening.

P.S. With Cork, UEFA would also demand complete control of the stadium for the duration of games being played there (3 weeks in total?). Would the GAA permit that? And even if they were willing (for the money), could they do so in the middle of the GAA season? Is there an alternative stadium in Munster which they could use?

Edited by Territorial - 11 Oct 2022 at 1:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
  Share Topic