You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:02pm
I'd forgotten that they still hadn't managed to get a sponsor on board LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Still think the South American bid will get it on account of it being the centenary WC
Originally, yes.

But things have since changed. For FIFA only came up with the "2030 Centenary" idea as a ploy to keep it out of the hands of UEFA, whose turn it is, but who they absolutely hate.

However, when they came up with the idea of a biennial WC, they immediately drove CONMEBOL into the arms of UEFA, since that would screw their own Copa America.

Further, if FIFA proceed with their bonkers idea of expanding to 48 finalists, even when combinig with Argentina, Paraguay AND Chile, there is no way even all four would have the number of modern, high-capacity stadia needed without spending extra billions (literally), which they don't have. And that's before you get to the supporting infrastructure (raods, transport, airports etc).

Which lesson was reinforced by Brazil spunking billions on the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics, back when times appeared good, economically speaking.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Who said the FAI are spending "millions" on this? It's a UK bid really, we're just piggybacking along. The English will be the predominant funders as they'll be hosting the majority of games, including the semis and the final. 

It's almost a free hit for the FAI really. Host a few games, bring in a few quid, the venues are already built so no expense there. I really don't see much of a problem with this.
At last!

Someone talking sense/ Thumbs Up
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Who said the FAI are spending "millions" on this? It's a UK bid really, we're just piggybacking along. The English will be the predominant funders as they'll be hosting the majority of games, including the semis and the final. 

It's almost a free hit for the FAI really. Host a few games, bring in a few quid, the venues are already built so no expense there. I really don't see much of a problem with this.
At last!

Someone talking sense/ Thumbs Up

Agree. It also keeps our governmnet happy and engaged with the FAI on money matters
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:43pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

They are not going to give Wembley the final again so soon.  Stupid bid.
Really?

UEFA have already just awarded this June's inaugural  "Finalissima" between Italy (Euro champions) and Argentina (Copa America champions) to London, which is also where a new shared UEFA/CONMEBOL office will be based:

While the 2024 Champions League Final has also been given to Wembey.

Don't get so defensive Terrence.  I'm not having a go at your precious UK.

I'd say you're the one who's beiing "defensive".

You know, what with having been shown to be plumb wrong.

Oh and I was speaking about the FA, not my "precious" UK.

How can I be ''plumb wrong'' when they haven't announced where 2028 will be yet?Confused

The fact that they are already awarding finals in the meantime to Wembley actually decreases the chances of Wembley hosting yet another final in 2028.  They had 2 semis and a final last year.  I doubt they will take it back so soon.  Wembley has been given more than its fair share of finals in the last 10 years.   Do we just let Wembley host the final of the CL and Euros every time now because its the biggest and most lucrative stadium??

As for your defensiveness you are always ridiculously touchy about any criticism of the Premier League not being as good as say some other league.  I get the impression any sort of criticism of anything British seems to bring out your inner Jim Allister.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:54pm

Really?

UEFA have already just awarded this June's inaugural  "Finalissima" between Italy (Euro champions) and Argentina (Copa America champions) to London, which is also where a new shared UEFA/CONMEBOL office will be based:

How can I be ''plumb wrong'' when they haven't announced where 2028 will be yet?Confused

The fact that they are already awarding finals in the meantime to Wembley actually decreases the chances of Wembley hosting yet another final in 2028.  They had 2 semis and a final last year.  I doubt they will take it back so soon.  Wembley has been given more than its fair share of finals in the last 10 years.   Do we just let Wembley host the final of the CL and Euros every time now because its the biggest and most lucrative stadium??

As for your defensiveness you are always ridiculously touchy about any criticism of the Premier League not being as good as say some other league.  I get the impression any sort of criticism of anything British seems to bring out your inner Jim Allister.

One of the biggest stadia in Europe capable of holding it - of course they'll use it again.
Like when it host back to back Champions League finals
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:28pm

Really?

UEFA may not award 2028 to England, but if they don't that will not be because of the trouble at Wembley etc.  Nor will it be because 2028 is especially "soon", since England hasn't actually hosted the Euro's since 1996 i.e. 32 years previously (2021 was an anomaly).

While England being one of the few remaining countries in UEFA which could still easily host a 24 team, never mind a 32 team Finals, has helped its case by incorporating another four UEFA members, at the same time as stepping aside to allow UEFA to promote Spain/Portugal for WC2030.

Meaning that imo England must have a very good chance of being awarded Euro2028. But we'll see.

I wasn't talkng about the PL, just as I wasn't talking about England, never mind the UK [sic]

I was discussing the FA and their bid for 2028, which you described as "stupid", without anything to back it up.

Of course, I could equally accuse you of being "anti-Brit" or some such nonsense, except I prefer to try to keep to the point - in this case the FA, an organisation for which I have no great regard generally.

Oh and while you raise the subject, I personally think that Jim Allister is a complete dick - not that he has anything to do with this debate either.

Edited by Territorial - 08 Feb 2022 at 5:30pm
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:08pm
Torn on what to make of this, on one hand I feel like it is a gimmick to distract from the lack of investment, planning etc that is going on outside of the senior national team and that the money would be much better spent elsewhere. On the other hand it would be fantastic craic to host such a big tournament, ideally get to go to a few games and possibly a chance for us to actually do very well in a tournament. 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Torn on what to make of this, on one hand I feel like it is a gimmick to distract from the lack of investment, planning etc that is going on outside of the senior national team and that the money would be much better spent elsewhere. On the other hand it would be fantastic craic to host such a big tournament, ideally get to go to a few games and possibly a chance for us to actually do very well in a tournament. 

I doubt very much the FAI have an option to 'spend the money elsewhere'. This seems to be a common line for those against this.
Hill must have mentioned the word 'Government' 15 times the other day. Potentially, this will be worth circa 150m to the exchequer. There is a tangible return on investment. 
We have debt mounting close to 80million and can only survive on Government support. A Euros here in 2028 would be good for the economy and who knows, maybe there will be a chunk of money going towards the game's development here. 
The UK World Cup 2030 bid had included a 500m windfall for grassroots over there.   
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 2:01pm
Italians dropped out to concentrate on Hosting 2032 tournament .

Looks like bidders for this will be Turkey and Romania/Greece/Bulgaria/Serbia 

You'd have to think the biggest competition will come from that Balkan bid as UEFA seem fairly reluctant to give it to Turkey.

Looking at infrastructure stadium wise in those four based on the criteria

• 1 stadium with 60,000 seats - Greece- Olympic Stadium (Athens 69,000)
  • 1 stadium (preferably 2) with 50,000 seats- Romania-  Arena Naționala (Bucharest 55,000),  Red Star Stadium (Belgrade 53,000)
  • 4 stadiums with 40,000 seats - Vasil Levski National Stadium (Sofia 44,000)
  • 3 stadiums with 30,000 seats- Karaiskakis Stadium (Piraues 34,000), Cluj Arena (Cluj 31,000), Stadionul Ion Oblemenco (Craiova 31,000)

There is a few more which seem to be under construction which will meet the 40k and 30K criteria too,

PAOK and AEK though both would be in Athens so perhaps only one could be used.
There is also plans for a 30-50k stadium Chernomorets were looking to build though that's been in the talks for for a couple of years.

There is also talk of a new national stadium in Belgrade so that could be a possibility too.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 2:15pm

You'd imagine issues in the stands in Serbia and Bulgaria in recent times would rule out any serious prospects for that bid. Some of their issues make what happened at the Euro 2020 final look like a non-event.

Reading between the lines I'd say UK/IE has been informally told it's in the bag in order for them to drop out of the 2030 bid. Spain/Portugal (possibly+Morocco) will be UEFA's bidder for 2030 and Italy will get 2032. 

Limited enough options available to UEFA for a 24/32 team Euros, which is what led to the Europe wide mess of a tournament we saw last year. So it makes sense for them to sort it out up to 2032 with the UK/IE and Italy bids while the opportunity is there.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 2:21pm

You'd imagine issues in the stands in Serbia and Bulgaria in recent times would rule out any serious prospects for that bid. Some of their issues make what happened at the Euro 2020 final look like a non-event.

Reading between the lines I'd say UK/IE has been informally told it's in the bag in order for them to drop out of the 2030 bid. Spain/Portugal (possibly+Morocco) will be UEFA's bidder for 2030 and Italy will get 2032. 

Limited enough options available to UEFA for a 24/32 team Euros, which is what led to the Europe wide mess of a tournament we saw last year. So it makes sense for them to sort it out up to 2032 with the UK/IE and Italy bids while the opportunity is there.

To be fair to them Turkey would have stadium capacity to host too based on the criteria, UEFA just doesn't seem to want them to have it.

But I agree, there must have been some conversations in corridors in regards to the hosting, sure The Germans pulled out of wanting to host the Euro 2020 finals as they came to an agreement with England that they'd back their bid for 2024.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 09 Feb 2022 at 2:23pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

To be fair to them Turkey would have stadium capacity to host too based on the criteria, UEFA just doesn't seem to want them to have it.

The Turkans want to do a  Euro 2028 on it.

It would make Limerick looks safe
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 2:34pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The Turkans want to do a  Euro 2028 on it.

It would make Limerick looks safe

Limerick?   2009 said hello. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 12:24am
Daily Mail are reporting that the UK and Ireland may well have landed the tournament. Bids have to be in by March 23rd and the only other bids were from Russia and Turkey. Russia are gone for obvious reasons and the Mail believes Turkey are about to withdraw their application.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:25am
Default, the two sweetest words in the English language 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 5:00pm
The Times now also reporting that this will be confirmed in the next two weeks as there are no other bidders. 32 team tournament, but no automatic qualification for any of the host nations.

Even with 32 teams there has got to be a reasonable chance that at least one of the five hosting nations misses out on qualifying for the tournament.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 9:20pm

The Times now also reporting that this will be confirmed in the next two weeks as there are no other bidders. 32 team tournament, but no automatic qualification for any of the host nations.

Even with 32 teams there has got to be a reasonable chance that at least one of the five hosting nations misses out on qualifying for the tournament.

Hard to get excited by a tournament in England tbh and the prices of hotel rooms in Dublin when our home games will be through the roof 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
  Share Topic