Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:36pm
Yep forget about this , put the money into grassroots like a few have said 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Though Jonathan Hill said in an interview today that there's absolutely no reason the two should be mutually exclusive. You can put money into the grassroots and develop the structures 'and' hold a major tournament in a few years time. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:47pm
They are not going to give Wembley the final again so soon.  Stupid bid.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Really?

UEFA have already just awarded this June's inaugural  "Finalissima" between Italy (Euro champions) and Argentina (Copa America champions) to London, which is also where a new shared UEFA/CONMEBOL office will be based:
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0270-13f6f29ca74e-264305ef4e74-1000--uefa-and-conmebol-renew-and-extend-memorandum-of-understanding/

While the 2024 Champions League Final has also been given to Wembey.

Edited by Territorial - 08 Feb 2022 at 12:19am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Really?

UEFA have already just awarded this June's inaugural  "Finalissima" between Italy (Euro champions) and Argentina (Copa America champions) to London, which is also where a new shared UEFA/CONMEBOL office will be based:

Don't get so defensive Terrence.  I'm not having a go at your precious UK.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:29am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Though Jonathan Hill said in an interview today that there's absolutely no reason the two should be mutually exclusive. You can put money into the grassroots and develop the structures 'and' hold a major tournament in a few years time. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

You’d have to be some fool, and that’s being kind, not to see what this vanity project is about. A crowd of washed up board members and an Executive looking for a leg back up to a decent position in the FA.

Johnny Hill today in his infobyte sounded like Infantino a couple of weeks ago and how the biennial World Cup would save African refugees from death. 

Two absolute clowns. The FAI Board were mugged. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:00pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Really?

Don't get so defensive Terrence.  I'm not having a go at your precious UK.

I'd say you're the one who's beiing "defensive".

You know, what with having been shown to be plumb wrong.

Oh and I was speaking about the FA, not my "precious" UK.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:42pm

Which makes no sense unless money is unlimited. With a fixed budget, any money going to the bid is not going to grassroots football.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Still think the South American bid will get it on account of it being the centenary WC

You are familiar with the way FIFA operate?
Nostalgia doesn't come into it, it's all about the $$$$$
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:59pm
I reckon theres no harm in this for a few reasons....

Firstly they need the government for money for day to day costs atm and its somehting they can offer to the government as a benefit in terms of what it does for tourism etc....

Secondly, I presume all targets including this one are part of a plan of growing the game domestically here. So they intend on selling out say the FAI cup final, by building and investing in the league

This is what I hope anyway
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:19pm

it's time to get rid of this clown. How can we talk about spending millions on a tournament when grassroots football is in a complete mess? 

This vanity project is something along the lines that John Delany would have thought up. The whole idea is to deflect from the real issue that Irish clubs are in dire need of funding.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Which makes no sense unless money is unlimited. With a fixed budget, any money going to the bid is not going to grassroots football.

It's additional Government money. They see return on investment with this. Tourism etc. 

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:11pm
I'd imagine there will be fcuk all costs incurred by the FAI on this project, host a few games at the Aviva and that's it.
I think I'd prefer if it was a proper bid where we would have to serious upgrade our footballing infrastructure. A bid where there was a game say in each province and leaving each province a regional central of excellence that was used as a training base by competing teams and that some type of legacy was left behind once euro 2028 is long gone.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

it's time to get rid of this clown. How can we talk about spending millions on a tournament when grassroots football is in a complete mess? 

This vanity project is something along the lines that John Delany would have thought up. The whole idea is to deflect from the real issue that Irish clubs are in dire need of funding.

Jonathan Hill has no intention of being still in the FAI by 2025, the goals they have set tell you that. I can't see a CEO agreeing to go with them unless he knew wouldnt be hanging around.

Spell in the FAI is just a stepping stone back in to a higher role in English FA I'd say for him
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Would a 30k Windsor be viable long term (with all due respect )though unless it's tempoary addition like some stadiums did previously. Think Charleroi reduced after the Euros

As a long time fan, I have absolutely no doubt that a 30k WP could be viable in terms of filling it regularly.

But the congested footprint of the ground makes it impossible from a practical pov to expand the capacity, even temporarily. At a minimum you'd have to knock down and rebuild a couple of existing stands and buy up one side of Olympia Drive (60-80 houses?), to allow for reinforced foundations, plus improved emergency access and egress etc. (The railway line very close to the east stand certainly doesn't help, either). Planning permission and local opposition would be a nightmare.

And even if we had the many millions needed to do so, which we don't, you'd never get the cost back through increased revenues over the usable life of the stadium.

The big mistake was in not squeezing in every possible extra seat at the time it was rebuilt. My guess is that we might have achieved 22-24k?

Edited by Territorial - 08 Feb 2022 at 3:38pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Who said the FAI are spending "millions" on this? It's a UK bid really, we're just piggybacking along. The English will be the predominant funders as they'll be hosting the majority of games, including the semis and the final. 

It's almost a free hit for the FAI really. Host a few games, bring in a few quid, the venues are already built so no expense there. I really don't see much of a problem with this.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

There's no way I can see Casement Park being a goer here, even if its built in time. With the tournament likely increasing to 32 teams, NI will probably qualify and thus have to play all their games in West Belfast, in a GAA stadium! With all the baggage and the symbolism that goes with that, including the playing of GSTQ, I cant imagine many in the Ulster GAA who would be too keen to see that happen.

It is a delish irony that The Orange Football Team need to go cap in hand to The GAA though 

I feel like you should get some sort of award for squeezing so much crap into so few words.

Well done!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

The Times article says there's 3 options. An upgraded Windsor, casement or a brand new stadium. Unlikely to be casement or a new stadium. 
Windsor cannot/will not be upgraded (see earlier post).

There will not be a brand new stadium.

It's Casement or nothing, and I actually think it could be made to work, since it would suit all parties:
1. The bid; 2. The IFA (keeps them well in with UEFA); 3. The GAA (could help them to squeeze a few more millions out of Stormont); 4. Belfast City Council (tourism etc).

Unfortunately the biggest threat could be one of time, since a firm commitment would probably have to be made by 2025(?). And if Ulster GAA and the Fools on the Hill cannot get the finger out and get back to work, we could see another 3 year delay before the GAA money, promised a decade ago(!) is finally released, meaning we could miss the deadline.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>
  Share Topic