You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

why would we pull out of the 2030 World Cup bid? I would have liked to see that and have qualified for a World Cup automatically. 
Spain/Portugal have 2030 sewn up......

You'd have thought that but a Moroccan / North African bid is now favorites according to sources on Twitter and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they 'won' it.
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:17pm
There's no way I can see Casement Park being a goer here, even if its built in time. With the tournament likely increasing to 32 teams, NI will probably qualify and thus have to play all their games in West Belfast, in a GAA stadium! With all the baggage and the symbolism that goes with that, including the playing of GSTQ, I cant imagine many in the Ulster GAA who would be too keen to see that happen.

It is a delish irony that The Orange Football Team need to go cap in hand to The GAA though 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

To be fair, if the tournament can be a profitable venture that allows the FAI to invest in facilities around the country then I'm all for it.

The games would only be played in Lansdowne, or maybe at a push Croker, so there's next to no capital investment needed here to host this. No doubt there will be shouts about trying to get games down to Cork, but that's a non-starter, the stadium there is nowhere near the standard needed, so it will just be Dublin. We'd probably get one group of 6 games and a second round game, maybe a quarter final as well.

If it generates income for the game here, what's the problem really?

Not sure which stadium you're referencing here. Turners Cross would be a non starter for obvious reasons. Pairc Uí Chaoimh could potentially be a goer but it would require two things that won't get off the ground: A) GAA permission. B) UEFA signing off on the use of temporary 'bucket' seats.

Yeah, I meant Pairc UI Chaiomh. It only has around 20,000 permanent seats in the two stands running down the sides of the pitch. The rest is huge terraced areas so it wouldn't be suitable for international football qualifiers, never mind a major tournament finals.

Interesting to see reports of a few games in the north. 30,000 is usually the minimum capacity for tournament finals so would be interesting to see how they're going to work that one.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:22pm
The Times article says there's 3 options. An upgraded Windsor, casement or a brand new stadium. Unlikely to be casement or a new stadium. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

The Times article says there's 3 options. An upgraded Windsor, casement or a brand new stadium. Unlikely to be casement or a new stadium. 

Would a 30k Windsor be viable long term (with all due respect )though unless it's tempoary addition like some stadiums did previously. Think Charleroi reduced after the Euros

Edited by Denis Irwin - 07 Feb 2022 at 3:25pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:23pm
And Windsor has only recently been upgraded. I'd guess they'll end up not hosting any games.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:24pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

why would we pull out of the 2030 World Cup bid? I would have liked to see that and have qualified for a World Cup automatically. 
Spain/Portugal have 2030 sewn up......

You'd have thought that but a Moroccan / North African bid is now favorites according to sources on Twitter and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they 'won' it.

They'll throw Morocco in with Spain and Portugal as a 3 country bid.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:28pm
Still think the South American bid will get it on account of it being the centenary WC
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:37pm

And Windsor has only recently been upgraded. I'd guess they'll end up not hosting any games.

This is the most likely outcome I think. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

This is the most likely outcome I think. 

Yep. One of the articles last week suggested it would be more likely they'd host a number of training bases instead

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:57pm

Surprised Elland Road is on the list, has it even changed since Euro 96?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Pure guess work from The Times nothing official. Southampton's ground or Brighton's I'd have thought would be ahead of it unless it's geographical reasons

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Still think the South American bid will get it on account of it being the centenary WC

Apparently they can’t get the government money to upgrade their stadiums 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:05pm
don’t love the stadiums that they’re using for the UK part, would have been nice to see them spread it across England a bit more than 2 London, 2 Manchester, 2 Merseyside, etc. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:05pm
Sure we'll have an United Ireland by then

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:40pm
I think it's exciting enough. Would be good to have eyes from around the world on the country for the opening ceremony and likely if we qualify we would be in the opening match (if that report is true).

However, it would be good to see how much money the FAI / government need to bring to the table and what the return would there be and most important, what is the plan on creating a legacy out of any profit, for example, investing in the upgrading of LOI grounds around the country.

Edited by t_rAndy - 07 Feb 2022 at 4:42pm
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

I believe they've a redevelopment plan for the ground. Although it's a long time in the making!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
  Share Topic