You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Looking forward to 2 years of people suggesting Thurlas as a venue

Could do worse. Has the infrastructure.
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 12:39pm
I hope this bid is unsuccessful tbh. A glamour event to paper over all that is wrong with Irish football. A waste of money which should be invested in other areas of the game more in need.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 12:48pm
Mark Tighe of The Sunday Times, who broke the Delaney scandal and authored Champagne Football, was on the Dunphy podcast last week. He mentioned that this was a big focus of Jonathan Hill. Hill (who still hasn't moved to Ireland almost 18 months into the job) seems to be prioritising this over other initives, and as you can imagine there are many who aren't impressed. Seems a bit of a vanity project to me.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Lol.

I wouldn’t for a second rule put us supplying a single venue which will host 5/6 matches. I fully expect it to be England led.
That would be my guess too. Might get 6 of the games in total if we're lucky.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Could do worse. Has the infrastructure.
UEFA will love the Town end terrace, not to mention two hotels in the entire town
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:13pm
It's a done deal lads. I read in an English paper the other week that if we pulled out of the world cup bid then 2028 would be given to us in return. Landowne will host 1 or 2 groups and a last 16.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:21pm
It’s a quick and easy way to make a profit and get some much needed finances. Let the FA do all the groundwork and then reap the benefits if the bid is successful. 
The government won’t need to invest anything in the redevelopment or infrastructure for Lansdowne or Croke Park. The windfall can then go towards the grassroots and the LoI. 
Much easier way of reducing the debt and guaranteeing the future of the game than trying to selling 10 year corporate boxes for 32k a pop or asking the government for handouts.

Edited by Fatnacho - 07 Feb 2022 at 1:23pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

What is the obsession with hosting tournaments? Everyone's involvement is to sugar coat the fact that it's really just an English bid. Nice to see some things in the FAI don't change Confused

Put money into grassroots and LOI yiz dopes. 

We’d actually qualify for it 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:30pm
why would we pull out of the 2030 World Cup bid? I would have liked to see that and have qualified for a World Cup automatically. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:44pm
Jonathan Hill - “The other 4 UK Fa’s”.

WTF? 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:05pm
To be fair, if the tournament can be a profitable venture that allows the FAI to invest in facilities around the country then I'm all for it.

The games would only be played in Lansdowne, or maybe at a push Croker, so there's next to no capital investment needed here to host this. No doubt there will be shouts about trying to get games down to Cork, but that's a non-starter, the stadium there is nowhere near the standard needed, so it will just be Dublin. We'd probably get one group of 6 games and a second round game, maybe a quarter final as well.

If it generates income for the game here, what's the problem really?
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

It’s a quick and easy way to make a profit and get some much needed finances. Let the FA do all the groundwork and then reap the benefits if the bid is successful. 
The government won’t need to invest anything in the redevelopment or infrastructure for Lansdowne or Croke Park. The windfall can then go towards the grassroots and the LoI. 
Much easier way of reducing the debt and guaranteeing the future of the game than trying to selling 10 year corporate boxes for 32k a pop or asking the government for handouts.
Grassroots & the LOI need investment now...not in six years time.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

why would we pull out of the 2030 World Cup bid? I would have liked to see that and have qualified for a World Cup automatically. 
because Uefa said if we pull out they'll give us the euros. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Spain/Portugal have 2030 sewn up......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:55pm
Dublin to showcase the opening game and to host 6 other matches, NI 4 matches, Scotland 7, Wales 4 and the rest including final in England. 

It follows advice from senior figures in football, including in Uefa, that a World Cup bid would be too risky... 

There has been firm encouragement from Uefa that a British and Irish bid for Euro 2028 would be well-received, especially as the governing body is expected to expand the tournament from 24 to 32 teams. All four home nations plus the Republic of Ireland would host matches with England having the majority including the final.

Italy had been considering a bid for Euro 2028 but is now expected to target Euro 2032 instead to give the country more time to build or redevelop stadiums.

Russia and Turkey have also been mentioned as potential bidders for Euro 2028 but Uefa would prefer to avoid a vote if possible.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what Uefa are saying

Edited by colemanY2K - 07 Feb 2022 at 3:06pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

To be fair, if the tournament can be a profitable venture that allows the FAI to invest in facilities around the country then I'm all for it.

The games would only be played in Lansdowne, or maybe at a push Croker, so there's next to no capital investment needed here to host this. No doubt there will be shouts about trying to get games down to Cork, but that's a non-starter, the stadium there is nowhere near the standard needed, so it will just be Dublin. We'd probably get one group of 6 games and a second round game, maybe a quarter final as well.

If it generates income for the game here, what's the problem really?

Not sure which stadium you're referencing here. Turners Cross would be a non starter for obvious reasons. Pairc Uí Chaoimh could potentially be a goer but it would require two things that won't get off the ground: A) GAA permission. B) UEFA signing off on the use of temporary 'bucket' seats.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Dublin to showcase the opening game and to host 6 other matches, NI 4 matches, Scotland 7, Wales 4 and the rest including final in England. 

7 games. Would presume that means all of a groups games are in Dublin then opposed to being split say between Dublin and (Potentially) Belfast. And then a last 16 game
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 3:09pm
If it’s 7 games you’d imagine it’ll be Lansdowne & Croke park 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic