You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland Confirmed to Host Euro 2028 w/UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 28>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Is there a chance we get in automatically as host if we are successful

Talk was they were gonna try and ask for two spots which one would go to England and talk the other to us because we've provided the second most stadiums if both were used.

Thought I heard mentioned that they would do Qualifying as Normal and anyone who didn't qualify automatically would have spots saved for them as a sort of back up, obviously if all teams didn't qualify they would go to the highest ranked or whatever

In the end I can see them giving just the one spot for England. It's basically their tournament and only included the rest because the plan was to bid for a WC.

UEFA are keeping it at 24 teams so giving more than one qualifying spot would mean taking play off spots away from the Nations League.
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 10:16am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

So the legacy for hosting games in the Euros would be the GAA getting a free facelift for their main ground. Lovely

Yes and no I would say. Work done to Croke Park would not necessarily be work that the GAA would need done, it's to meet UEFA requirements. But it's true there would be no football legacy on the back of that. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 11:20am
To be honest this is sounding worse the more i read into it . 

Hate to say this but would be happy if this was played elsewhere . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 11:25am
By 2028 the assimilation will be complete. 
Classic Apres Match: The GAA Assimilation Committee - YouTube

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 11:42am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

So the legacy for hosting games in the Euros would be the GAA getting a free facelift for their main ground. Lovely
Football fans get very little from it....
- potential for easier qualification
- potential for home games in tournament (probably even a negative for some fans)

Country gets....
- spend €128m and home to get it back through increased vat receipts from 3/4 spike nights in Dublin (although I'd argue that most of that would be peak holiday time anyway)
- some facelift for Croker although I'd suspect a lot of that is temporary seating that would be removed post tournament.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 11:48am
Why are there always so many negative nancy's?

135m is not much of an outlay on the grand scheme of things for an event of this magnitude where we would have our named stamped on the official branding Euro 2028 UK and Ireland. 
It will be the biggest event that year alongside the Olympics. 

It's all well and good saying "it would be better if we invested that money into underage or spend it in areas like homelessness or other social issues" but that is not the way the world works when it comes to business and politics and those other areas are black holes that will always require money. 
This is something tangible that the whole country can get behind when it's here. 

AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

135m is not much of an outlay on the grand scheme of things for an event of this magnitude where we would have our named stamped on the official branding Euro 2028 UK and Ireland. 

It's all well and good saying "it would be better if we invested that money into underage or spend it in areas like homelessness or other social issues" but that is not the way the world works when it comes to business and politics and those other areas are black holes that will always require money. 
This is something tangible that the whole country can get behind when it's here. 

I think the reasons for why people aren't delighted have been laid out pretty well whether you agree with them or not. The willingness to invest so much in a major tournament when funding football is so sparse nationwide makes no sense and the fact that the investment won't even go to football facilities only exasperates that. 

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 12:40pm
I’d be fairly confident that the majority of people on here have very little knowledge of the levels of funding available to football clubs across the country.

This 128 million figure isn’t huge in the grand scheme of things and and to host a euros with two Venus would be fantastic for football in the country.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

I think the reasons for why people aren't delighted have been laid out pretty well whether you agree with them or not. The willingness to invest so much in a major tournament when funding football is so sparse nationwide makes no sense and the fact that the investment won't even go to football facilities only exasperates that. 

I can see the logic behind their arguments and views but sometimes you just have to roll with it. It's a special event with about 6 years of planning and we only the minor stakeholder, heavy lifting being done by the UK.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 2:17pm
Would prefer it to be in Italy if we qualified. Three games in Dublin vs travelling around Italy for a few weeks only has one winner. Germany will be quality in 2024 as well if we make it.

* I'm aware Italy was never in the running, I just would have loved to have been at Italia 90.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 2:21pm
I think there was talk of Italy hosting 2032.

Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 2:44pm
Italy and Turkey are both bidding for it, think they're announced the winners the same time as Euro 2028.
They've chosen Milan, Turin, Verona, Genoa, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Naples, Bari, Cagliari and Palermo as possible host cities
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 2:44pm
Yes they are expected to get 2032, so you can travel to Italy to watch the major tournament swansongs of 31 year old Nathan Collins, 32 year old Michael Obafemi and 33 year old Dara O'Shea over there. Josh Cullen will be in the RTE studio doing half time analysis by that point.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I’d be fairly confident that the majority of people on here have very little knowledge of the levels of funding available to football clubs across the country.

This 128 million figure isn’t huge in the grand scheme of things and and to host a euros with two Venus would be fantastic for football in the country.
Well a season of League of Ireland fixtures is about €6m for FAI to fund, so we're paying 20 times more to host 3 games of the likes of Poland V Slovakia.

Put half the amount to LOI and you'd have generational change.
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 9:28am

Ive seen the posts about the homeless on the book. You cant spend money on anything without someone asking why its not being spent on the homeless. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 10:01am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes they are expected to get 2032, so you can travel to Italy to watch the major tournament swansongs of 31 year old Nathan Collins, 32 year old Michael Obafemi and 33 year old Dara O'Shea over there. Josh Cullen will be in the RTE studio doing half time analysis by that point.

We'll still have Young Doherty who will be puahing 28 by then
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 1:08pm
https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/ireland-uk-submit-final-bid-to-host-uefa-euro-2028

Officially submitted, Casement Park in the North is an interesting one 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 1:25pm
One venue is a joke.

Don't see the point in participating if we can't host a group?
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 28>
  Share Topic