17 [29.82%]
7 [12.28%]
5 [8.77%]
4 [7.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

3 - The marquee players in the world didn't really perform. 

Eh? Like who?

It's debatable whether Messi deserves to be listed as he's never scored in a knockout round of a World Cup. And Salah had a mare regarding how he was used politically and how crap Egypt were. Everyone else pretty much shone. 
Sponsored Links

eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Eh? Like who?

It's debatable whether Messi deserves to be listed as he's never scored in a knockout round of a World Cup. And Salah had a mare regarding how he was used politically and how crap Egypt were. Everyone else pretty much shone. 

The top scorer was dogsh*t. Spain didnt attack. The Argies were a mess. Neymar was a massive scrotum. Ronaldo had one good game. James was injured. Lukaku scored against minnows and was poor from play. Frances striker never had a shot. The Poles were sent packing without any fight. Who was shining?

Certainly not everyone

Edited by eboue16 - 19 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

Eh? Like who?

Spain didnt attack. The Argies were a mess. Neynar was a massive scrotum. 

In other news, water is wet.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:58pm

Eh? Like who?

It's debatable whether Messi deserves to be listed as he's never scored in a knockout round of a World Cup. 

It isn’t debatable at all
He’s one of the best players of all time
Of course he’s a marquee player 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:16pm

Eh? Like who?

It's debatable whether Messi deserves to be listed as he's never scored in a knockout round of a World Cup. 

It isn’t debatable at all
He’s one of the best players of all time
Of course he’s a marquee player 

There's a difference between wanting him to perform and expecting. 

Everyone wants to see it, but to expect it with a record like that? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:36pm
Where have I mentioned wanting or expectation 

Simply saying the best players in the world, Modric, and Ronaldo for a few games  aside, didn’t really perform to their usual level in this tournament 

Messi was high up on the top goal scorer betting list if I remember right, so must have been some expecting him to play well 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 19 Jul 2018 at 1:37pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:37pm
https://www.football365.com/news/the-world-cup-in-review-16-conclusions-russia-france-mbappe-england-spain-germany

Good article this ...

Some incredible stats for France
In the knockout they only had between 34-40% possession.

Overall 17% of goals game after the 86th minute.
43% came from set pieces.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:45pm

Messi was high up on the top goal scorer betting list if I remember right, so must have been some expecting him to play well 

So were Argentina, but you were a right mug to expect either to come through.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:02pm
Why would you be a mug to expect Messi to be top goal scorer.

You'd expect Messi to be higher on the list than Kane and many others.

He was won the Golden ball in 2014 too.

You'd be a right mug to be so dismissive of him.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:21pm

Eh? Like who?

Either has Ronaldo by the way 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:26pm
When I wrote marquee players I was thinking Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo
Don't think any of them were anywhere near their best, apart from Ronaldo in the first match.

I suppose the likes of Hazard, Modric, Mbappe and De Bruyne who would be on the next level down from Messi and Ronaldo all had good tournaments, so it may have been a wrong statement by me.

newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:40pm

It was a great world cup. Some great games and moments, you could count the dull matches on one hand.
Especially given all the negativity in the build up to it, it surpassed all expectations. I actually wasn't that looking forward to it in the weeks before.

Not sure if it was the best world cup ever though. Hard to compare really given how recent and distant they are in the memory, and what stage of your life they were at.

If i was to be pernickety I'd say the negatives of this this World Cup were:

1 - Ireland not being there, obviously
2 - No outstanding team(s). Yes Croatia, France and Belgium were very good, and what made it so enjoyable was that it was a very open tournament, but not sure that any of these sides will go down as greats of the game. Actually, I'm pretty sure they wont.

1.  So by that, you're implying there have only ever been 3 good World Cups? Yes, Ireland being there helps, but their presence at Italia 90 shouldn't cloud the fact that the football was terrible. 

2.  Odd though it may seem, outstanding teams doesn't necessarily make a great World Cup. Prime example, Spain.  No one disputes that Spanish side was one of the all time greatest.  But the 2010 World Cup was easily the poorest I can recall.  And I'm old enough to remember the last 10 tournaments.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:52pm
"a) Antoine Griezmann dived for the free-kick that led to France’s opening goal in the final, but VAR cannot intervene when an event occurs outside the penalty area. Yet this was clearly a game-changing event – perhaps even THE game-changing event – of the final, and nothing could be done. So where does this end?"
Mmmmm

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

It was a great world cup. Some great games and moments, you could count the dull matches on one hand.
Especially given all the negativity in the build up to it, it surpassed all expectations. I actually wasn't that looking forward to it in the weeks before.

Not sure if it was the best world cup ever though. Hard to compare really given how recent and distant they are in the memory, and what stage of your life they were at.

If i was to be pernickety I'd say the negatives of this this World Cup were:

1 - Ireland not being there, obviously
2 - No outstanding team(s). Yes Croatia, France and Belgium were very good, and what made it so enjoyable was that it was a very open tournament, but not sure that any of these sides will go down as greats of the game. Actually, I'm pretty sure they wont.

1.  So by that, you're implying there have only ever been 3 good World Cups? Yes, Ireland being there helps, but their presence at Italia 90 shouldn't cloud the fact that the football was terrible. 

Its a personal opinion which world cup is your favourite or the best. Obviously you are going to choose one that your country are in as opposed to one they are not.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

And you're a bigger mug for thinking he deserved it.

He did absolutely nothing from the first knockout round all the way to the finals.

For comparisons sake, Muller scored 1 more goal, was part of the team who destroyed Brazil and won the entire thing that's how ludicrous it was. 

Edited by coyne - 19 Jul 2018 at 3:29pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:56am

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

And you're a bigger mug for thinking he deserved it.

He did absolutely nothing from the first knockout round all the way to the finals.

For comparisons sake, Muller scored 1 more goal, was part of the team who destroyed Brazil and won the entire thing that's how ludicrous it was. 

I never said he deserved it. I said he won it. .

The fact that you are completely dismissing arguably the best player in the world the last 10 years is laughable.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:43am
Why would anyone think Messi could possiblyhave been top scorer, I mean all those club and international goals are utterly irrelevant and don't even bother telling me that he is possibly the greatets footballer to have ever played. He had no chance end off 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:53am
My initial comments weren't about him being top scorer. I said he didn't really perform, which he didn't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic