7 [12.28%]
5 [8.77%]
4 [7.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:47am
I'm actually gonna pick 2014. Had low expectations after the 2010 borefest but the group stages were the best I have ever witnessesed and although the knockouts weren't as good there were a few gems in there. Loved 98 as well
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:53am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I'm actually gonna pick 2014. Had low expectations after the 2010 borefest but the group stages were the best I have ever witnessesed and although the knockouts weren't as good there were a few gems in there. Loved 98 as well

Spot on. Was unemployed that summer and got to see most of the group games. Every game even the less glamorous ones seemed to be really good. Most teams tended to be attack minded and just went for it. Cracking world cup. 

Bill O'Herlihy's reaction to Dunphy cursing on air was the icing on the cake LOL Cracking world cup. Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Bill O'Herlihy's reaction to Dunphy cursing on air was the icing on the cake LOL Cracking world cup. Clap

Plus wan!

Thanks for reminding me of that moment of pure comedy gold. LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Plus wan!

Thanks for reminding me of that moment of pure comedy gold. LOL

Forgot about this LOL

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:12pm
Dunphy turning up pissed in 2002 was funny.

Rene Higuita getting robbed by Roger Milla 40 yards from goal in Italia 90 LOL

Has anybody mentioned Saipan? LOL

NI beating hosts Spain in 1982 was simply incredible.  I remember looking at Norman Whiteside who played in that WC as a 17 year old, he looked about 27, he was some player.

McGrath in Giants Stadium in 1994. Clap

Maradona's second v England in 1986. Clap

Italian club sacking a South Korean player who scored the winner against Italy in 2002. LOL

Love the World Cup.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Germany 7-1 Brazil is by some distance the craziest moment I've ever witnessed at a World Cup. I'd be surprised if even those who've watched far more tournaments than me ('90 my earliest memory) could recall anything more insane.
Wasn't crazy to me as I had €100 on Die Mannschaft at 7/1 to the WC.

Aah loads of crazy things happened over the years ;

70 - Gordon Banks getting Montezuma's Revenge
74 - Zaire-Brasil your man breaking the wall and kicking the ball away before Brasil could take a free kick
78 - The Argies beating Peru 6-0
82 - Kuwaiti sheikh walking on to the pitch and the Ref then disallowing the goal
82 - Schumacher
82 - Paulo Rossi v Brasil
82 - Gentile murdering Maradona and then Zico. Ramos would hide under his bed if Gentile came looking for him
86 - La Mano de Dios

There's a good podcast on this - We came to win (episode 3). Gives some good background to it. Basically that it was not just a case of a lad who didn't understand the rules. Well worth a listen

Edited by Shedite - 31 May 2018 at 12:13pm
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:12pm
His subsequent apology after the ad break, and then Aprés Match's piss take of said apology, was also very amusing!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:13pm
That was amazing! I actually think it might have replaced that "referendum issue" guy as my favourite moment on TV.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Love the World Cup.

Really is the best thing about sports. I might be wrong here, but tournaments as an independent observer can be some of the best.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’m sure the earlier ones were even better as this was the stage to see the best players in the world and see new stars for the first time. Nowadays you know the majority of the players through the champions league etc.

I must find some highlights of the 82 World Cup.

There's a vid around of the best 11 goals scored by Brasil at 82.

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

[QUOTE=Devrozex] [QUOTE=TonyNotJack]1982 all the way.

The best team never to win the world cup who played amazing football.

Better than the Dutch team in '74?

'74 is too far back for me to have seen then live, though having watched extensive highlights the Dutch were technically great then.Maybe slightly more than Brazil of 82? ,but Brazil were also technically amazing and were definitely more exciting.The goals they scored as seen in the video above were sensational.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:32pm
1994 for me as i was a little too young to really take in italia 90. Argentina v greece i remember waiting to see maradonna and he didnt disappoint with that goal even if he did go home after. It was worth it watching him. Some great games, for me nothing has touched it since. Loved the late games at night too. Aah it was brilliant.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:40pm
I was in secondary school for 1994 World Cup and watched every game on TV and the highlights for good measure.
It’s the only World Cup I’ve done this so it will always be my fav.

It’s not the same when work gets in the way of the World Cup! 

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:48pm
Match times are a pain in the hole this year. With a Western Hemisphere tournament you'd more than likely get to see all 3 daily games of the first 2 rounds of the group stages live. With a Western Europe /African WC you'd probably get to see 2 of the 3. This year probably only 1 of the 3 Thumbs Down

Edited by Denis Irwin - 31 May 2018 at 12:49pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:49pm
I was only a kid but when Eder scored v USSR in 82 I think I jizzed my pants.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Match times are a pain in the hole this year. With a Western Hemisphere tournament you'd more than likely get to see all 3 daily games of the first 2 rounds of the group stages live. With a Western Europe /African WC you'd probably get to see 2 of the 3. This year probably only 1 of the 3 Thumbs Down

Pasted the fixtures onto a word doc in work to see what ones I will miss (marked red) and as most on here probably work 9-5 Mon-Friday you'll get to see all the England games no matter how far they go, 6/8 last 16 games and 3/4 quarter final games. It's not too bad and you'll generally get to see the best group game matches. (Portugal-Spain, Argentina-Croatia etc etc)

Edited by irishmufc - 31 May 2018 at 12:57pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:02pm
98 World Cup was the best.

Favourite game Spain v Nigeria.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Yeah, it was a very good world cup. It was such a vast improvement on the last one and the 7-1 semi final was one of the most incredible games in World Cup history. It was truly spectacular.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 6:29pm
we need a World Cup in the states or Canada so when you come home from work you can still watch 3 matches.  

Russia is going to be tough with 1pm 4pm. and 7pm.  Although no decent games at 1pm on weekdays.  
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic