7 [12.28%]
5 [8.77%]
4 [7.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:14am
ffs I remember 78 

82 was probably the best 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:29am
Some of the older posters really showing their age here LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Some of the older posters really showing their age here LOL
I was gonna mention 1970 but Baggio wont let me.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

1990 and 2002 were utter gick World Cups.

My Top 5, in order ;

I thought 2002 was decent enough with plenty of goals and some pretty good games, some golden goal winners and of course, the extra excitement with Ireland's games.  Plenty of shocks as well with Argentina, Portugal and France going home after the group stages with their tails between their legs though the tournament as a spectacle paid a price for that later on with quite a few underwhelming knockout games like Senegal-Turkey and USA-Germany - at the stage of the tournament when you would normally expect those big names to be going head-to-head.  The only real traditional head-to-head knockout games were England-Brazil and the final between Brazil and Germany.

The main downer about that tournament though for me was the time difference - early morning and lunchtime is such an un-natural time to be watching live football and then there was the issue of trying to get time off work to watch certain games. Thumbs Down

Edited by ConorMac77 - 31 May 2018 at 9:37am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:47am

My first WC that I remember was 1974, was heartbroken when Scotland went out unbeaten.

As for "best" in terms of football, I loved 1978 and 1982 and 1982 probably shades it due to that wonderful but ultimately flawed Brazilian team, that remarkable semi between France and WG and the emergence of the Italians in the 2nd phase with Rossi coming alive and their fantastic defence and the superb wing play of Bruno Conti, he was different class.

1990 and our first WC has to be a standout in terms of excitement and pride but it was a sh*t tournament in terms of quality and Argentina's antics in the final were shameful.

1994 was brilliant to be there cos England hadn't qualified so you didn't have those bastards to worry about when you into any bar.

So 1982 gets my vote as the "best".
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:06am
I’m sure the earlier ones were even better as this was the stage to see the best players in the world and see new stars for the first time. Nowadays you know the majority of the players through the champions league etc.

I must find some highlights of the 82 World Cup.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’m sure the earlier ones were even better as this was the stage to see the best players in the world and see new stars for the first time. Nowadays you know the majority of the players through the champions league etc.

I must find some highlights of the 82 World Cup.

There's a vid around of the best 11 goals scored by Brasil at 82.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:18am
From a non-Irish perspective I loved France 98

Italia 90 will always be hard to beat. Was just getting into football, Ireland broke through and the nation was on a buzz like never before.
2002 was very enjoyable too, going to the bar at 7am to watch football was great craic, and we had a fine team then too.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

1982 all the way.

The best team never to win the world cup who played amazing football.

Better than the Dutch team in '74?

I think of the ones I watched '98 was probably the best. Honourable mentions to '94 and '06. The group games at the last World Cup were fantastic but unfortunately the knock-out rounds (Brazil - Germany aside) didn't quite match the earlier stage.

Germany 7-1 Brazil is by some distance the craziest moment I've ever witnessed at a World Cup. I'd be surprised if even those who've watched far more tournaments than me ('90 my earliest memory) could recall anything more insane.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

1982 all the way.

I think of the ones I watched '98 was probably the best. Honourable mentions to '94 and '06. The group games at the last World Cup were fantastic but unfortunately the knock-out rounds (Brazil - Germany aside) didn't quite match the earlier stage.

Germany 7-1 Brazil is by some distance the craziest moment I've ever witnessed at a World Cup. I'd be surprised if even those who've watched far more tournaments than me ('90 my earliest memory) could recall anything more insane.
I certainly couldn't believe what was happening - things like that aren't supposed to happen in semi-finals.  Most other world cup semi-finals have usually been fairly cautious cagey affairs with the France-West Germany in '82 being the exception that proved that rule.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:42am
1998 World Cup by a mile.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:44am

1982 all the way.

The Kuwaiti Sheikh coming down from the stands at the 82 WC and calling the Kuwait team off the pitch has to be up there too LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:55am
LOL
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

1998 World Cup by a mile.

LOL
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:10am

Wasn't crazy to me as I had €100 on Die Mannschaft at 7/1 to the WC.

Aah loads of crazy things happened over the years ;

70 - Gordon Banks getting Montezuma's Revenge
74 - Zaire-Brasil your man breaking the wall and kicking the ball away before Brasil could take a free kick
78 - The Argies beating Peru 6-0
82 - Kuwaiti sheikh walking on to the pitch and the Ref then disallowing the goal
82 - Schumacher
82 - Paulo Rossi v Brasil
82 - Gentile murdering Maradona and then Zico. Ramos would hide under his bed if Gentile came looking for him
86 - La Mano de Dios

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:11am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s247cS3-iKQ
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Wasn't crazy to me as I had €100 on Die Mannschaft at 7/1 to the WC.

Aah loads of crazy things happened over the years ;

70 - Gordon Banks getting Montezuma's Revenge
74 - Zaire-Brasil your man breaking the wall and kicking the ball away before Brasil could take a free kick
78 - The Argies beating Peru 6-0
82 - Kuwaiti sheikh walking on to the pitch and the Ref then disallowing the goal
82 - Schumacher
82 - Paulo Rossi v Brasil
82 - Gentile murdering Maradona and then Zico. Ramos would hide under his bed if Gentile came looking for him
86 - La Mano de Dios

Not quite crazy but honourable mentions for:

94 - One of the goals being damaged (one of the players made a clearance off his goal-line but held on too tightly to the netting to stop himself falling in the process that he broke the stanchion) during the Mexico-Bulgaria match - and a brand new goal being brought on to replace it. 

98 - Blanco of Mexico holding the ball between his ankles and jumping past 2 Korean players.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

94 - One of the goals being damaged (one of the players made a clearance off his goal-line but held on too tightly to the netting to stop himself falling in the process that he broke the stanchion) during the Mexico-Bulgaria match - and a brand new goal being brought on to replace it.

The second time a goalpost broke that tournament. Remember Diana Ross making it known to the world that she is hopeless at football?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

The second time a goalpost broke that tournament. Remember Diana Ross making it known to the world that she is hopeless at football?
Forgot about that - comedy gold. LOL.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic