You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Snooker player of all time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Snooker player of all time
    Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:42am

Got into an argument the other day in a bar with a fella who loves O'Sullivan, i said theres no way he is the best ever, then another man joined the O'Sullivan camp saying he is easily.

Hendry for me - although i didnt like him he has been te best in my lifetime. Couldn't get it through to these 2 that just cos he wasnt that likeable he was still amazing, and that just cos O'Sullivan can provide great moments of magic and 147's in record time - his all round game doesnt compare. i actually think Ronnie has underachieved for the talent he has

Rostrevor Fan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:55am

Good oul Bill - 12 pints before a game due to a medical condition - what a legend
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:08am
Most gifted- Ronnie O'Sullivan

The Best- Stephen Hendry
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:11am
Sure all the snooker players combined would tell you that the greatest player of all time is Ronnie.  He's streets ahead of anyone, could probably beat all of them with his left hand if and when he wanted.

The problem is, he doesn't have the discipline to consistently win trophies like Davis, Hendry and then Higgins did.  But without a doubt he is the greatest player ever - certainly the most gifted!
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

The Best- Stephen Hendry

+ 1.

I think, if his ego allows him, Ronnie will look back on his career and realise that he wasted a lot of his amazing talent. He should be rivaling, if not surpassing Hendry in world titles if he really put his mind to it.
@AntrimMan85
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:13am
how many world titles have they won? is it 7-2 to hendry?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Sure all the snooker players combined would tell you that the greatest player of all time is Ronnie.  He's streets ahead of anyone, could probably beat all of them with his left hand if and when he wanted.

The problem is, he doesn't have the discipline to consistently win trophies like Davis, Hendry and then Higgins did.  But without a doubt he is the greatest player ever - certainly the most gifted!

+1 - couldn't have put it any better myself.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:18am
disciplines a massive part of the game is it not?

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

how many world titles have they won? is it 7-2 to hendry?

7-2 , 7-3, something like that anyway.

I'd love to punch him in the face every time he goes on one his wee ' i've fallen out of love with snooker, snooker doesn't interest me anymore' speeches.
@AntrimMan85
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

disciplines a massive part of the game is it not?

Yes of course - maybe 'discipline' was the wrong word then. O'Sullivan is just....well, he's pretty bonkers in fairness. I don't think it's really a lack of discipline so much as it is a lack of being in any way sane. If O'Sullivan put his mind to it he could probably win 10 titles in a row - such is his dominance over any other player in the sport in terms of natural ability - but he's just too crazy for snooker I reckon. Or at least, too crazy to dominate as he should.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:25am

The Best- Stephen Hendry

+1 Shams

Exaclty what I was thinking.

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 12:17pm
What about Steve Davis?

He has won more professional titles than any other player, including six World Championships during the 1980s, when he was the world number one for seven years and reached eight world finals.

Edited by Stoked Up - 21 Dec 2010 at 12:18pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 12:28pm
My fave would be Ronnie, although he's a cock. That 147 was one of the greatest sporting moments of all time. I think he has underachieved huge;y
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:05pm

The Best- Stephen Hendry
well put
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:06pm
Fred DaviesClap
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:34pm
It is Hendry, whether fans of Ronnie like it or not.  Youngest world Champion, most consecutive championships, most career wins, most century breaks, the statistics go on and on, but dont do him full justice.

I think Hendrys genius is lost to the wider public, and even some snooker fans, mainly  because of 2 things, his persona (unemotional, dour, robot like etc) but mainly I think because his style of play. He was almost boring to watch at times, and the reason for that was that his positional play was of such a ridiculous high standard he never seemed to be making any particularly difficult pots, it just looked kind of like the balls broke in the right way for him every single time. The fact they did this for about 10 years or so proves it wasn't luck.

Ronnie has undoubtedly got greater talent, but talent alone does not make you the best.  Jimmy White probably had more natural talent than Hendry as well, but he has zero world titles. Ronnie on full flow is far better to watch, dont think many would argue there.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:49pm
Agree with the general consensus.  Jimmy White could be thrown into the argument but sadly Jimmy never won a World Championship.  For achievements and consistency my best 3 ever would be Hendry followed by The Nugget followed by Ronnie.

Ronnie certainly the most naturally gifted, that is without question and his 4 minute (I think) 147 one of THE greatest sporting actions you will ever see. Clap
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:52pm
Lads ronnie suffers badly from depression and has had a far from stable family life. Ive crossed paths with him a number of times and he has never been anything other than very polite, friendly, and a really good laugh. I disagree with the idea that when he stops playing snooker for periods of time that somehow it is an ego thing.

That all said, I agree 100% with most of the lads here that while ronnie is the most natural, talent the game has produced, hendry has to be the best player of all time.
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic