You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Goal Ireland have ever conceded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 3:04pm
I thought the last minute equaliser in Israel 2005 was a lovely finish but a horrible goal to concede in the circumstances
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 3:30pm
Hagi in Landsowne Road in 1997.
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 3:37pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 4:15pm
Had forgotten about that Hagi one.

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

That Kazakhstan goal when Noel King was in charge was another long distance banger, I cant find a clip of it but I remember applauding behind the goal when it went in.

Dmitriy Shomko with a cracker.

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Not the best goal ever scored against us but Jimmy Quinn in 93 up in Belfast was a lovely strike

Not as good as Jimmy Quinn's strike, but back in 1999 Danny Griffin scored an unusual goal from distance for the North.

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by williemc83 williemc83 wrote:

Hagi in Landsowne Road in 1997.

Remember being right behind this. He was much closer to halfway line than he was to our box. An incredible strike
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Not the best goal ever scored against us but Jimmy Quinn in 93 up in Belfast was a lovely strike

Not as good as Jimmy Quinn's strike, but back in 1999 Danny Griffin scored an unusual goal from distance for the North.

Probably the worst game of any sport that I've been to, and it isn't like there's no competition.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Probably the worst game of any sport that I've been to, and it isn't like there's no competition.

That was the peace game or something wasn't it. Defo the worst game I had ever been in up to that point!
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:51pm
A few other nice goals against us

Kazimierz Deyna - Poland (Lodz, 1978) - a long range effort

Kevin Keegan - England (London, 1980) - a chip from the edge of the box

Antonio Maceda - Spain (Dublin, 1982) - a volley from a cross

Hans Dorfner - West Germany (Dublin, 1989) - a powerful shot from distance

Tomas Ziukas - Lithuania (Vilnius, 1997) - a volley from a clearance

Brian Said - Malta (Valetta, 1999)  - a nice chip

Konstantinos Charalambidis - Cyprus (Nicosia, 2006) - a well worked goal from the infamous 5-2 defeat

And in 1984 Ireland played in the Kirin Cup (aka Japan Cup) and reached the final. There they played against the Brazilian club side Internacional, but ended up losing the match 2-1.

Ruben Paz scored the winner with a powerful shot from the edge of the box.

Edited by Terzino - 27 Mar 2023 at 3:55pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:00pm

A few other nice goals against us

Kazimierz Deyna - Poland (Lodz, 1978) - a long range effort

Kevin Keegan - England (London, 1980) - a chip from the edge of the box

Antonio Maceda - Spain (Dublin, 1982) - a volley from a cross

Hans Dorfner - West Germany (Dublin, 1989) - a powerful shot from distance

Tomas Ziukas - Lithuania (Vilnius, 1997) - a volley from a clearance

Brian Said - Malta (Valetta, 1999)  - a nice chip

Konstantinos Charalambidis - Cyprus (Nicosia, 2006) - a well worked goal from the infamous 5-2 defeat

And in 1984 Ireland played in the Kirin Cup (aka Japan Cup) and reached the final. There they played against the Brazilian club side Internacional, but ended up losing the match 2-1.

Ruben Paz scored the winner with a powerful shot from the edge of the box.

Keegan goal......Ron Healy in goal for Ireland 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:08pm

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

That was the peace game or something wasn't it. Defo the worst game I had ever been in up to that point!

Yeah it was billed as the peace international. It's the standard bearer for sh*te matches.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:16pm
Benjamin Pavard now joins the list after rifling that one in off the the under-side of the crossbar.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:30pm

Benjamin Pavard now joins the list after rifling that one in off the the under-side of the crossbar.

Hagi's goal in the 1-1 was pretty decent as well, saw it live but looks amazing on tv: https://youtu.be/JGU2td_dmuI

Decent mentions to Luc Nilis, Luis Garcia, Ruud Gullit and Toni Polster LOL Henry 2005 for me probably overall in terms of importance in the group, we were laughing if that goal didn't go in. 

Edited by dangere_here - 28 Mar 2023 at 5:31pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:28pm
Was trying to think of free-kicks scored against us, but I don't think there are that many.Ukraine recently scored one, but that was more a cross that went in. 

Polster is a decent shout with his effort against the Harry Ramsden Challenge XI.

And there are goals where the footage either doesn't exist or is rare and hard to find, and all we have are match reports. Like in 1973 when Wlodzimierz Lubanski scored a free-kick from 35 yards against us for Poland.

Or in 1974 where Rivelino scored against us in the Maracana with "a tremendous long-range strike."
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 8:37pm

Was trying to think of free-kicks scored against us, but I don't think there are that many.Ukraine recently scored one, but that was more a cross that went in. 

Polster is a decent shout with his effort against the Harry Ramsden Challenge XI.

And there are goals where the footage either doesn't exist or is rare and hard to find, and all we have are match reports. Like in 1973 when Wlodzimierz Lubanski scored a free-kick from 35 yards against us for Poland.

Or in 1974 where Rivelino scored against us in the Maracana with "a tremendous long-range strike."

Not the same Polish match, but a couple I found here that might be interesting: 

1970 [229] Polska v Irlandia [2-1] Poland v Ireland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsFJB1Qzmoo

Irlandia: Alan Kelly – Joseph Kinnear, Thomas Carroll (46' Seamus Brennan), Patrick Mulligan, Eoin Hand, Anthony Byrne, Eamon Dunphy, James Conway (46' Raymond Traecy), John Giles, Donald Givens, Gerard Conroy

3 nil defeat to Poland in 1978 (full match): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZZIIwRbcOM
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

I thought the last minute equaliser in Israel 2005 was a lovely finish but a horrible goal to concede in the circumstances

Suwon I think the guys name was. He was Arab Israeli if I recall correctly and his own fans were giving him dogs abuse Confused
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 3:50pm
Long time ago I started a thread about the worst goal ever scored against Ireland, and that three nil defeat from 1978 was included.

The first Polish goal trickles through Alan Kelly's hands, from a tame shot, hits the post, and Boniek finishes it off.

The second goal is a nice one though, and Kazimierz Deyna is already mentioned in this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic