You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Goal Ireland have ever conceded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Goal Ireland have ever conceded?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:29pm
With Roberts Uldrikis screamer for Latvia the other night, and other long range efforts by the likes of Gerson Rodrigues for Luxembourg, and Emin Mahmudov for Azerbaijan in recent times, it poses the question - what is the best goal that has ever been scored against Ireland?

Enzo Scifo perhaps scored the best header against us for Belgium (Brussels, 1986). An effort from 18 yards into the top corner.

Pasi Tauriainen scored an amazing volley against us for Finland (Dublin, 1990). But was it a fluke?

Christian Eriksen scored a hattrick against us for Denmark (Dublin, 2017). The first of which he smashed in off the under-side of the crossbar.

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a brilliant chip for Serbia (Belgrade, 2021).

Christian Martinez scored an exquisite volley for Andorra (Dublin, 2010).

Georgi Hristov scored a well placed shot in off the crossbar for Macedonia (Skopje, 1997) in the infamous 3-2 defeat.

Davor Suker scored for Croatia (Zagreb, 1999) with a piece of sublime control and finishing.

But is this the Top 3 best goals against us?

3rd. Giovanni van Bronckhorst for Holland (Amsterdam, 2000) with a brilliant long range drive that he would repeat years later in the World Cup Semi-Final in South Africa.

2nd. Tornike Okriashvili for Georgia (Tbilisi, 2014) with a shot from distance that flew into the net.

1st. Rui Costa for Portugal (Lisbon, 1995) with an amazing chip from distance that left Alan Kelly with no chance.

Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Giovanni van Bronckhorst for Holland (Amsterdam, 2000) with a brilliant long range drive that he would repeat years later in the World Cup Semi-Final in South Africa.

Interesting thread. My admittedly hazy memory of the above goal was that it was a pretty big deflection though. Definitely one of the more painful goals we’ve ever conceded but wouldn’t have it down as one of the best objectively speaking.

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:00pm
I'd always thought it had gone straight in, but it's still a great goal. 

Maybe replace it with Suker's goal then.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:10pm
That Kazakhstan goal when Noel King was in charge was another long distance banger, I cant find a clip of it but I remember applauding behind the goal when it went in.
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:16pm
Recall Andorra got a belter in a 3-1 win in the Aviva around ten years ago

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed it was mentioned above

Edited by DC96 - 23 Mar 2023 at 11:17pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:21pm
Henry’s for France in Dublin in 05 was a peach.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 8:02am
Eriksen to make it 2-1 to Denmark in the play off.

Kolorov in the same qualifying campaign.

On the original post - don't think Mitrovic's goal was anything special it was purely down to had goal keeping.

Edited by Maccatacca - 24 Mar 2023 at 8:04am
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Henry’s for France in Dublin in 05 was a peach.
Think Given was positioned really poorly for that goal. The Davor Suker goal as mentioned above the best one.
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:13am
Remember David Alaba scoring a worldie for Austria in the 90th min to make it 2-2 in dublin in 2013
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:19am
No mention for Tornike Okriashvili? This was a banger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owhe4G_TZ5c
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:41am
Torres in Gdansk off the underside of the bar
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Remember David Alaba scoring a worldie for Austria in the 90th min to make it 2-2 in dublin in 2013

Took a massive deflection off St. Ledger on the way
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:31am
Denmark in 1993 was a very good finish. I can't remember the player's name.
See it here
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

See it here

Vilfort. I remember this goal being discussed at length afterwards with a focus on the miscommunication between McGrath and Bonner. There is also footage somewhere of McGrath's rather relieved reaction to Quinn's equaliser. I think he really took that one personally.
StephenIreland'sGran View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephenIreland'sGran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:44am
Rui Costa would have been my pick

but the Swiss goal here was beautifully worked...

dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 1:15pm

See it here

Kim Vilvort, Bonner got tangled in the net after it, McGrath at fault I seem to remember letting it bounce.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

See it here

Vilfort. I remember this goal being discussed at length afterwards with a focus on the miscommunication between McGrath and Bonner. There is also footage somewhere of McGrath's rather relieved reaction to Quinn's equaliser. I think he really took that one personally.

The McGrath reaction was in The Road to US '94 video. It's up on YouTube.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:50pm
Not the best goal ever scored against us but Jimmy Quinn in 93 up in Belfast was a lovely strike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic