You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best fans in the world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Our crowds are always big because we're a nation of event junkies. Going to home games is probably most fans only experience of live football throughout a season. LoI attendances, while growing, are very low compared to other national leagues around Europe, so most fans probably don't have an attachment to a club and are more likely to through all their support behind Ireland as opposed to having a greater affinity for a club.
People going to games doesn't make them "event junkies". Do football fans in England, Germany, Argentina qualify as "event junkies" too because they like going to games?

Event junkies maybe a poor choice of phrase for it but I’d imagine that in terms of attending live football on a regular basis is way down in comparison to the rest of Europe.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

Piskin View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 4:50am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

We are the most embarrassing nation in Europe when it comes to supporting our sports teams.

You have fellas down the back arse of Connaught who live and breathe GAA, and who wouldn't play for a club the next parish over.

These same lads will tell you they hate the brits, but then support Man United, Liverpool (or Celtic).

When it comes to the Irish national team or the LOI they'll tell you they don't like that 'foreign sport' - or will tell you there's no LOI team in their area! They'll then spend the weekend down the pub shouting for United and calling people 'scouse' ****s. 

I'd say a good example of this would be fellas in Mayo who would have no interest in supporting Sligo Rovers or Galway United because they're from a different county - that's ok though we'll watch Yanited or the Pool instead. What makes it funnier to me is that the Irish counties were developed by the Brits, and mean absolutely f**king nothing.

I'd add that in general we have a really insular mindset when it comes to sport in general.

As a young fella growing up I never had any interest in beating the next parish over in any sport - because it's f**king irrelevant - some brownie points are not worth claiming. Personally I only ever had an interest in watching Ireland play in international sports and achieving big results on a global stage. Beating Bogball Emmetts in a GAA match on a Sunday isn't impressive to anyone outside of your small local community.

Look at that KI Klasvik from the Faroe Island's. The town they are based in has a population of 5,000 people and they managed to get a team into the Europa Conference League - now that's something for a small rural community to be proud of. Now they'll get to represent 'the parish' on a European level, taking on teams from big cities, with massive football history. 

Our rural communities would rather have a big day out in Croker in the GAA, and then go back to supporting British teams in their free time. 

Our football culture is absolutely appalling, but for me it all comes back to our mindset - which is that we're an irrelevant little rock off the west coast of Europe - the rednecks of Europe if you will.

Harmless, half-drunken, half-wits trying to be like like English Premiership supporters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic