You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best away of the campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: What was yours?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [12.99%]
11 [14.29%]
6 [7.79%]
15 [19.48%]
32 [41.56%]
3 [3.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Why did people think Sweden was so bad, incidentally? Just price? I didn't mind Stockholm, tbh.

sh*t pubs, sh*t people, far too spread out, was freezing, stadium a long walk from middle of nowhere, expensive, fun police an actual thing in sweden, state owned offo's only, public transport and taxis prohibitively expensive, complete let down bar the football and kelly's was good
agree with all this. Don't think I'd return if we got them

+ 1

Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 10:43pm
Kaz - mainly due to a general liking for oddball places

Germany - good trip, although I didn't get too far past the flippin square, so maybe I'm not the best judge of this....

Austria - Vienna a nice city, good craic in general

Sweden -mainly bad, expensive, cold, nanny state laws for drinking, the same type of safety first approach surprisingly doesn't seem to have applied to their building site outside the stadium, rip off pubs, one of our group got wrong changed of € 50 twice by the same barman in one establishment in the same night, rip off taxis, but against that, Wirstroms and Kellys decent pubs

Faroes - Was only there on the day trip, first time doing a day trip, it was what it was, didn't fall above or below any expectations I had

England - Grand country until ya try get beer after 2am, I don't think the atmosphere is ever the same for a friendly, which is why I put it here rather than any bad experiences of the place. 

Cardiff/Belgrade/NY - Wasn't at any of them

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 11:00pm
Kaz
Austria
Cologne
Sweden

London but that was not part of the CampaignWink
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 11:02pm
Pubs weren't that bad, none of the stadiums this time were that close to the city centres, there was beer available from the corner shops, you only needed to take public transport to and from the stadium, the football was great (as was the atmosphere) and the people really weren't that bad.

The prices were wild though, I'll grant that. I might have been slightly influenced by the great time we had in Copenhagen the night after the match, admittedly. It's a city I would definitely go back to, even though it was pricier again.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by ZinedineKibane ZinedineKibane wrote:

Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Why did people think Sweden was so bad, incidentally? Just price? I didn't mind Stockholm, tbh.

sh*t pubs, sh*t people, far too spread out, was freezing, stadium a long walk from middle of nowhere, expensive, fun police an actual thing in sweden, state owned offo's only, public transport and taxis prohibitively expensive, complete let down bar the football and kelly's was good
agree with all this. Don't think I'd return if we got them

+ 1
+1

wouldn't be in a rush to go back to sweden.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 11:19pm
In fairness,I've been to Sweden a few times and the difference between Stockholm and say Gothenburg or malmo is unreal....like most I wouldn't be rushing back to Stockholm but if we did get them again and in a different city in Sweden I'd be gone like a shot
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 11:49pm
Belgrade
Torshavn
Koln
Vienna
Cardiff
Stockholm
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 12:33am
Kazak n Germany were the best

Austria was next

Sweeden was sh*te

Faroes day trip so hard to say.
I know nothing :-)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 12:42am
Worst campaign in a long time, saying that I only did Sweden and Austria. But as we got a result and a performance in Sweden I would vote Sweden.

Edited by Baldrick - 14 Oct 2013 at 12:46am
AKA pedantic kunt
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 1:05am
Germany
England
Wales
Sweden
Oman
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 7:04am
Kazachkstan (Adidas bar was tremendous fun)
Cologne (remember little which is a good sign)
Faroes (day trip, but was superb craic. that fight home had some unbelievable scenes)
Vienna
Stockholm

In friendlies, football wise London then Cardiff but craic wise would be Cardiff then London

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 7:19am
Vienna
Cologne
Stockholm

Only aways I went to. Stockholm not a good drinking city and wasn't left in anywhere. Saying that the Saturu night I got into a Nightclub that was unreal. Spent around a grand therr in three days which is crazy. Colonge was ok but sh*te weather on matchday and the tram to the stadium was f**king ridiculous. Vienna was a great trip and the fact we were in Budapest for two nights before it added to the trip in a big way
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:35am
Kazahkstan - great trip. did Almaty and Astana, the 20 hour sleeper train through the steppe, the craic in the adidas bars and our lovely hosts there, wearer was grand, we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and I ate a horse. Lovely job.

Faroe Islands - As yis say, only a day trip but the craic was unreal. Flights were brilliant, the irish bar with the band was great, local beer nice, we won handy enough and the nicest fish and chips I've ever had. Oh, and the infamous bedsheet!

Vienna - Messy as fook. Charlie P's a great spot. Nice city, great public transport. Far too much BrewDog though.

London - Handy trip, good fun. The moment when Shane Long stuck the ball in the Englands net.

Stockholm - wasn't as bad as everyone is saying. Was expensive yeah but we expected it and I for one kinda budgeted for it. €3 bottles in one of the bars - fierce disspointing locals though.

Cologne - didn't go. I'll assume it was sh*te so Big smile
@AntrimMan85
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:47am
Cologne.
Faroe's.
Stockholm.
Vienna.
London.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:51am
sweden by far the best for me , met loads of people and we got a draw that no one expected at all . lovely walk around the town , a few nice pubs , decent bit of grub was had , defo the best trip except for the weather.

vienna was depressing , lovely town but sickening result ,
loved cologne but fecks sakes we had our holes handed to us , that alway ruins a trip.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:51am
still gutted i never made kazakstan due to a wedding , hopefully we get them again
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:52am
1.Oman
2.England
3.Austria
4.Spain
5.Sweden
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:57am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Kazahkstan - great trip. did Almaty and Astana, the 20 hour sleeper train through the steppe, the craic in the adidas bars and our lovely hosts there, wearer was grand, we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and I ate a horse. Lovely job.

Faroe Islands - As yis say, only a day trip but the craic was unreal. Flights were brilliant, the irish bar with the band was great, local beer nice, we won handy enough and the nicest fish and chips I've ever had. Oh, and the infamous bedsheet!

Vienna - Messy as fook. Charlie P's a great spot. Nice city, great public transport. Far too much BrewDog though.

London - Handy trip, good fun. The moment when Shane Long stuck the ball in the Englands net.

Stockholm - wasn't as bad as everyone is saying. Was expensive yeah but we expected it and I for one kinda budgeted for it. €3 bottles in one of the bars - fierce disspointing locals though.

Cologne - didn't go. I'll assume it was sh*te so Big smile
Your assumption is incorrectThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic