Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barcelona

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 88>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 3:45pm
Depending on how this resolves itself on the pitch, this could prove to be a very interesting situation. The debt is unbelievable, and they seem to be in between a rock and a hard place with Messi, in a total lose-lose situation. And even if they can sell him, they seem to have debts to service in relation to other players. A couple of seasons in the Europa League, or totally out of Europe and out of the domestic prizes could leverage them even further, and that could be a tipping point.

Perhaps, they are just too big to fail, and they would certainly benefit from moving away from annual qualification, and instead on coefficients where their history will stand to them.
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 3:52pm
European Super League will allow them to flourish once that comes in.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

European Super League will allow them to flourish once that comes in.

A shame if true, as it would have the effect of re-drawing the game in order to sustain the financial choices and debt accrual of the teams that were on the right side of the drawbridge as it was pulled.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Somebody said earlier that their academy is the best in the world. Is that really so? (Genuine question)
Nope.
That is/was and probably always will be De Teokomst (The Future) at Ajax.

They have over 80 players playing in the top flight leagues in Europe.

Following by Sporting Lisbon and I think Sparta Prague (?).
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Somebody said earlier that their academy is the best in the world. Is that really so? (Genuine question)
Nope.
That is/was and probably always will be De Teokomst (The Future) at Ajax.

They have over 80 players playing in the top flight leagues in Europe.

Following by Sporting Lisbon and I think Sparta Prague (?).

Incorrect 

Athletic Bilbao.
It’s easy to attract the best players around Europe with money.

Recruit locally and only have said players in your squad. This is the way.

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I can see them naming their stadium soon so get some cash in.
I'm not so sure they could - the Glazers would have done so for OT years ago, or Fenway for Anfield, except that both names are too distinctive/historic for a new sponsor's name to stick. I can't see the Camp Nou being any less so.

And in any case, no-one is going to sponsor it at least until the stadium is rebuilt, and even then they'll only get top dollar if Barca are back at the top of the tree.

Aye, but is merely qualifying/going out in the last 16 enough for a club of their stature, which is already €1 bn in debt?

Im actually surprised the Glazers haven’t done this yet. It’s the American way and it’s money for old rope.
The fans will hate it but as the clubs know, they will still come through the gates and the more corporates/holiday fans the better.
Old Trafford Budweiser Stadium just rolls of the tongue.

More and more of the lower leagues are doing it in the UK to survive. I think it will catch on soon. 

It's not in the hands of the Glazers, it's what the sponsors demand.

And the latter know that they simply won't get "name recognition" for their millions, since the stadium will be forever "Old Trafford" to everyone. (Can you imagine anyone saying: "Liverpool are off to the Budweiser this weekend, should be a big game"?)

The best example was eg Middlebrough, who built one of the first brand new stadia. Even in the space of a couple of years, the initial user name of "Riverside" stuck, meaning that by the time BT came on board, no-one referred to it as "the Cellnet".

Meanwhile, the likes of Man City and Arsenal only got away with it because they were moving to brand new stadia on a new site, while Spurs are desperate to ditch the "White Hart Lane" name for their new stadium, only ever referring to it as the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" until they can secure a name sponsor.

And even (much) lower down the register, Brentford scrupulously avoid ever referring to their new stadium as "Lionel Road", even though that's how fans generally see it, insisting instead on the bland "Brentford Community Stadium" until they can get fans back in and sell the naming rights.

Which is the problem Barca (and Real Madrid) have: unless like Spurs they can use a complete rebuild of their stadium to pull off a new name, then no big corporation is going to lash put millions to sponsor the  (new) "Camp Nou".

And as things stand, they don't have the money to rebuild the stadium anyway!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 1:50pm

I can see them naming their stadium soon so get some cash in.
I'm not so sure they could - the Glazers would have done so for OT years ago, or Fenway for Anfield, except that both names are too distinctive/historic for a new sponsor's name to stick. I can't see the Camp Nou being any less so.

And in any case, no-one is going to sponsor it at least until the stadium is rebuilt, and even then they'll only get top dollar if Barca are back at the top of the tree.

Aye, but is merely qualifying/going out in the last 16 enough for a club of their stature, which is already €1 bn in debt?

Im actually surprised the Glazers haven’t done this yet. It’s the American way and it’s money for old rope.
The fans will hate it but as the clubs know, they will still come through the gates and the more corporates/holiday fans the better.
Old Trafford Budweiser Stadium just rolls of the tongue.

More and more of the lower leagues are doing it in the UK to survive. I think it will catch on soon. 

It's not in the hands of the Glazers, it's what the sponsors demand.

And the latter know that they simply won't get "name recognition" for their millions, since the stadium will be forever "Old Trafford" to everyone. (Can you imagine anyone saying: "Liverpool are off to the Budweiser this weekend, should be a big game"?)

The best example was eg Middlebrough, who built one of the first brand new stadia. Even in the space of a couple of years, the initial user name of "Riverside" stuck, meaning that by the time BT came on board, no-one referred to it as "the Cellnet".

Meanwhile, the likes of Man City and Arsenal only got away with it because they were moving to brand new stadia on a new site, while Spurs are desperate to ditch the "White Hart Lane" name for their new stadium, only ever referring to it as the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" until they can secure a name sponsor.

And even (much) lower down the register, Brentford scrupulously avoid ever referring to their new stadium as "Lionel Road", even though that's how fans generally see it, insisting instead on the bland "Brentford Community Stadium" until they can get fans back in and sell the naming rights.

Which is the problem Barca (and Real Madrid) have: unless like Spurs they can use a complete rebuild of their stadium to pull off a new name, then no big corporation is going to lash put millions to sponsor the  (new) "Camp Nou".

And as things stand, they don't have the money to rebuild the stadium anyway!
City was only renamed Ethiad in 2011. It was Eastlands or City of Manchester Stadium for the first 8 year.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 1:53pm
A company who gets in and sponsors a soulless newbuild plasticbowl from the start will always have their name attached to it, even when they stop paying for the naming rights

ie. The Reebok Stadium, the Britannia Stadium
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 1:54pm

Terry I’m thinking Aviva are happy enough with their sponsorship of Lansdowne rd even though many, like myself, would never use their corporate name when referring to the ground. 
El Puto Amo
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Terry I’m thinking Aviva are happy enough with their sponsorship of Lansdowne rd even though many, like myself, would never use their corporate name when referring to the ground. 
MC i would say the casual fan calls it Aviva where as fans who go all the time still call it Lansdowne
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

MC i would say the casual fan calls it Aviva where as fans who go all the time still call it Lansdowne

And the wans under 25 as they don’t know any different.

Budweiser would pay big money to have their name all over the roof of Manchester Utd PLC pitch and training facilities.

The locals and the proper Man U fans from Ireland would only ever call it Old Trafford.

But the corporates and holiday fans would be all heading to the Budweiser bowl for the soccer match to watch their favourite kicker. 

Things move on quickly when money is involved.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:23pm
@Terri 

Spurs are expected to announce a stadium sponsor this year - Levy has a few offers but wants 25M a year. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Perhaps, [Barca] are just too big to fail

Right now, even with Covid solved, a full Camp Nou and playing in the latter stages of the CL every season, Barca could probably only service their €1bn debt, not begin to reduce it, never mind clear it.

For even in the good times, their wage bill has regularly accounted for approx 75% of their annual €1 bn revenue. This is simply not sustainable, yet the "solution" (i.e. slash the wage bill) is also unthinkable, since the team clearly needs rebuilding, not dismantling.

Worse still, they can't even hope to attract billionaire owners like eg Man City or PSG to get them out of the hole, since the club is owned by their supporters, who will not relinquish their rights. And for the same reason, neither can they attract someone like the Glazers or Stan Kronke to restructure the club's finances (while leaving the debt with the club), since any new such owner would demand to own the equity.

Oh and on top of all that, they have to rebuild the stadium, since it simply isn't fit for 21st century sport at the highest level. They say they can do that for €400m, but even if they could keep it down to that level (highly debateable), there is no way any bank is going to lend that kind of money to them while they're in their present state.

If the banks are to continue to fund them, I suspect it would only be on the basis of a complete transformation of the club's financial model. But even there they must be reluctant, since that could take 10 years to turn around, by which time the team could have fallen so far back as to be unable to generate even their current revenues.

Nor is any new President likely to stump up the money, even if he had it, when he knows he could be voted out at the next election.

My guess is that their only options are: (a ) European Super League, (b ) another decade in the wilderness like previous ones, in the hope that a new President can turn it around in that time, or (c ) the Sevco model i.e. bankruptcy and start again,

Option (a ) isn't within their power to guarantee and I can't see (b ) being acceptable to anyone any more, meaning... Shocked

Edited by Territorial - 18 Feb 2021 at 2:41pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:36pm

@Terri 

Spurs are expected to announce a stadium sponsor this year - Levy has a few offers but wants 25M a year. 

Levy's Stadium?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

City was only renamed Ethiad in 2011. It was Eastlands or City of Manchester Stadium for the first 8 year.
And who exactly are "Etihad"?

Clue: Mansour bin Zayed bin Sultan bin Zayed bin Khalifa Al Nahyan

In other words, City's owners are "sponsoring" their own stadium, effectively as a means of getting round FFP.

Had naming rights tenders gone to the open market, they wouldn't have attracted a fraction of the money  Sheikh Mansour and his cronies are pumping in from some independent sponsor.

Edited by Territorial - 18 Feb 2021 at 2:49pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Perhaps, [Barca] are just too big to fail
My guess is that their only options are: (a ) European Super League, (b ) another decade in the wilderness like previous ones, in the hope that a new President can turn it around in that time, or (c ) the Sevco model i.e. bankruptcy and start again,

Option (a ) isn't within their power to guarantee and I can't see (b ) being acceptable to anyone any more, meaning... Shocked

I think the solution is the easiest answer. They need to offload the marquee names where possible, slash the wage bill and cut their cloth to measure for the foreseeable future. They won't be winning anything for a while but thems the breaks. They can promote themselves as the club to give young talent a big stage similar to Dortmund. The other plus side is the Camp Nou won't be turned into another soulless corporate dump anytime soon. 

The only other option is to appeal to socios/ benefactors for a bail out. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:58pm

Sometimes it works.

Aviva gor away with it since for the first 100-odd years, Lansdowne was the home of a minority interest (rugby), so it didn't have the national resonance of, say, Croke Park.

This identity was further eroded when it became the joint home of football - did football fans have the same affection or affiliation they might have previously have had for Dalymount, for instance?

And finally, the whole thing was knocked down, meaning that it could be successfully marketed as a new stadium for a new era.

I don't believe you could get away with that for eg Old Trafford, Anfield, Camp Nou or the Bernabeu - otherwise those clubs' owners would likely already have renamed them before now.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I've started to call it the Aviva again....It suits the bland, corporate nature of the stadium!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 88>
  Share Topic