Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barcelona

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 88>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I think Dunphy said Messi was in 'decline' not 'finished'.

And he is in decline to where he was 2/3 years ago, age waits for no man.

But as said above he is still better than everyone else which shows you the heights he reached.

Nonsense - there is nothing in the stats to suggest that and anybody who watched the Real Madrid game would say he is still top of his game.

There was that crazy season he scored 70 goals but that was a one off. Also Barca are now playing with probably 3 of the top 6 strikers in the world so his position in the team has also changed.

The stats in the last 4 seasons - Apps, Assists, Goals for club
16/17  46  14  47
15/16  49  23  41
14/15  57  27  58
13/14  46  14  41

Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Messi and Ronaldo are still head and shoulders better than everyone else.

2 exceptional players.

Messi I would agree with but I don't think Ronaldo is head and shoulders above the rest I feel Neymar and Griezmann are currently better players, Ronaldo is not close to the same player he once was but is still a phenomenal goalscorer.

Ronaldo has changed his game strategy to be just that - a phenomenal goalscorer.
He makes way less dribbles and doesn't drift into midfield anymore looking for the ball.

In the past 6 seasons he has scored 50+ goals for his club. 
This season he only has 31 goals (sigh!) but he was struggling after the Euro win.

Neymar and Griezman are closing the gap on the 2 players. Neymar certainly looks the best bet to win the FIFA world player of the year. 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

But as said above he is still better than everyone else which shows you the heights he reached.

Nonsense - there is nothing in the stats to suggest that and anybody who watched the Real Madrid game would say he is still top of his game.

There was that crazy season he scored 70 goals but that was a one off. Also Barca are now playing with probably 3 of the top 6 strikers in the world so his position in the team has also changed.

16/17  46  14  47
15/16  49  23  41
14/15  57  27  58
13/14  46  14  41
So going by YOUR stats, he is in decline !!!

As I said he is still the best player in the World at the moment but he just not at that phenomenal peak he achieved 2/3 years.

Stop looking for an arguement.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:13pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

16/17  46  14  47
15/16  49  23  41
14/15  57  27  58
13/14  46  14  41
So going by YOUR stats, he is in decline !!!

As I said he is still the best player in the World at the moment but he just not at that phenomenal peak he achieved 2/3 years.

Stop looking for an arguement.

His stats are better than they were 3 years ago so how is he in decline?

You are obviously talking about the year he scored 73 goals which was 5 years ago. That was a one off but as I said above, the bara team is different now with 3 top strikers.

But stick to your guns that at 29 he is in decline!

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:51pm
He is 30 in 2 months and like Rooney he has a lot of miles in the clock.

He will not be playing for Barca or any top side when he is 32.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:26am

What? You mean he's coming to Anfield??!!!!
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:38am

That's a big shout Gaz. I've set a reminder in my calendar and I'm clearing all meetings for 26/4/19 to log back in here and scream "in your face!" when Messi is tearing up the Qatari league with the mighty Al Jazerra FC
El Puto Amo
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:50am
He's a slightly different type of player now, playing in a different position but still as effective.

Similar to Ronaldo.

With Rooney it's different, he hasn't been able to adapt his game to be as effective, partly down to desire in my opinion.

With messi and ronaldo you wouldn't be surprised to see them play on into their mid-to-late 30's

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

He's a slightly different type of player now, playing in a different position but still as effective.

Similar to Ronaldo.

With Rooney it's different,
he hasn't been able to adapt his game to be as effective, partly down to desire in my opinion.

With messi and ronaldo you wouldn't be surprised to see them play on into their mid-to-late 30's

Yeah, because he was never, ever in the same class as the other two. That isn't an insult, nobody else has been either. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Similar to Ronaldo.

With Rooney it's different,
he hasn't been able to adapt his game to be as effective, partly down to desire in my opinion.

Yeah, because he was never, ever in the same class as the other two. That isn't an insult, nobody else has been either. 

True. There was a few seasons when he was just a bit below but don't think anyone has reached the level that Ronaldo and Messi took their game too.
The stats alone are just ridiculous
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:13am

Similar to Ronaldo.

With Rooney it's different, he hasn't been able to adapt his game to be as effective, partly down to desire in my opinion.

Agree here. When Messi wants to, his range of passing allows him to play in a deeper role, he could be the most advanced player in a central midfield trio. When his pace starts to go, he'll still have lots to offer. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:14am
He was never anywhere near them, the English press spunked their pants over him because he had a good run of form for a bit. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:12am
I was only using Rooney as an example of a player who started at the top level at 16.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:17am

I was only using Rooney as an example of a player who started at the top level at 16.

You could have used Franny Jeffers too.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He was never anywhere near them, the English press spunked their pants over him because he had a good run of form for a bit. 

Rooney has only scored more than 20 league goals TWICE in his career.....  and he played for Man U.

Was a great talent as a teenager but never lived up to his hype.
Still a good premiership player but never made it to world class IMO.

As for players in their 30s being past it, you can change your game to still be at the very top. For example see :

Robben
Lahm
Zlatan
Iniesta
Alonso
Pirlo

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:22pm

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

words fail me
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
words fail me
You should be used to failing LOL
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:40pm
Hi Eamonn.

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 88>
  Share Topic