Topic ClosedB team game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Topic: B team game
    Posted: 20 Nov 2007 at 5:44pm
Just seen the highlights on sky sports news. holy jaysus - what a fook up by our keeper for their goal; the ball somehow managed to hit the post, come back out a yard and then spin in - mental lookin goal!
Goodwin's sending off looked pretty harsh as well
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 1:16am
what was the score , is there a report ?
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 3:45am

RTE

Scotland B 1-1 Ireland B

Tuesday, 20 November 2007 22:48

Derby forward Steve Howard scored on his international debut to salvage a draw for Scotland B against a superior visiting side.

The 3,133 diehards who braved a cold night in Airdrie looking for an antidote to Scotland's Euro 2008 disappointment had to wait 83 minutes for some relief when Howard headed in off the post.

Aberdeen defender Richie Byrne had put the Irish ahead midway through the second half after Graeme Smith pulled off a string of fine saves.

Scotland boss Alex McLeish included Rangers midfielders Kevin Thomson and Steven Whittaker but, tellingly, the player who did most to further his credentials was Motherwell goalkeeper Smith.

Republic of Ireland included Dundee United pair Sean Dillon and Noel Hunt with former Livingston winger Wes Hoolahan and ex-Celtic reserve Jim Goodwin, who was sent off in the dying minutes.

Scotland had a good chance in the second minute when Michael Stewart rolled the ball just beyond the onrushing Chris Iwelumo and the far post.

But the game soon developed the air of a bounce match and only a late tackle by Ross Wallace on Goodwin livened up proceedings.

The Irish full-back angrily pushed Wallace and was lucky not to join his fellow ex-Celt in the book.

The visitors were enjoying some decent possession and Hunt forced Smith to work with a low drive from 20 yards.

Moments later Hoolahan flicked a cross just beyond unmarked Sunderland forward Roy O'Donovan.

The Irish were forced to reshuffle when Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Glenn Whelan limped off following a hefty tackle by Sheffield United full-back Chris Armstrong. Byrne came on and Goodwin moved into midfield.

The Republic came closest to ending the first-half deadlock after Stewart made a mess of a short free-kick inside the Irish half.

O'Donovan broke quickly and squared for Hunt but Smith got down brilliantly to save his powerful low drive.

Scotland's front pair were struggling to make an impact but Durham-born Howard, 31, who qualifies through his grandmother, managed to release Iwelumo with a first-time pass, only for Colin Doyle to easily save his ambitious 25-yard drive.

The Birmingham goalkeeper was forced into a more impressive stop moments later when he tipped over Wallace's powerful effort.

The Scots finished the half strongly and Goodwin was booked for bringing down Wallace as the Sunderland winger broke at pace.

McLeish introduced Charlie Adam and Wolves defender Neill Collins at half-time but the Irish took a grip of the game.

Smith was again the Scotland hero when he pulled off a brilliant double save, first pushing away Byrne's diving header and then turning wide O'Donovan's follow-up.

Goodwin got away with another push - this time as Adam held on to the ball after Scotland conceded a free-kick - but the Sc**thorpe player was more productive seconds later as his 18-yard strike was caught by Smith.

Tempers almost boiled over when Whittaker reacted angrily to a two-footed challenge by Michael Doyle and the Rangers man was booked.

Smith pushed a 25-yard strike by Ireland sub Mark Yeates onto the bar but there was only so much he could do to save his side and Byrne stroked into the empty net to give the Republic a 65th-minute lead.

Yeates almost made the hosts suffer even more but Adam escaped punishment when he appeared to clip him inside the box, and the Colchester forward soon dragged a shot wide from 20 yards.

Yeates then beat Berra in the centre circle and released Michael Doyle, but the Coventry midfielder shot just wide from a tight angle outside the box.

But Scotland salvaged a draw when Howard's header from a floated Armstrong cross hit off the post and spun over the line.

The Scots finished the better side but a winner would have been unjust on the Irish.

However, the visitors suffered another late blow when Goodwin fell off his disciplinary tightrope as he brought down Armstrong 30 yards out.

Maltese referee Joseph Attard initially forgot to show him a red card after his second yellow, but his error was quickly pointed out by Wallace.

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 3:51am

YBIG

Scotland B 1-1 Ireland B

http://www.ybig.ie/news_detail.asp?id=324&SectionId=3

The Republic of Ireland’s B team could only draw with Scotland's B team in their friendly game in Airdrie last night. Ireland were the better team and duly took the lead after 65 minutes, when Aberdeen player Richie Byrne struck in a rebound from Mark Yeats excellent shot, which was saved by Scotland’s man of the match, goalkeeper Graeme Smith.

Scotland equalised thorough a goalkeeping mistake in the 85 minute by Dan Connor, who had just arrived onto the pitch after replacing Birmingham’s Colin Doyle. Steve Howard’s weak header came back off the post and managed to bounce back into the net.

Despite the late equaliser it was a great chance for many of the players to get a run out for Ireland and show the next Irish manager what other options are available to him when they take over…presuming of course someone gets a video tape of the game.

Ireland’s Under 21s finally scored a goal, and finally got some points in their UEFA qualifying campaign. John Joe O’Toole, a late substitute headed home a fine cross in the 92 minute, to give Ireland their first win after three previous defeats. This one nil victory over Bulgaria was well deserved after Ireland created the most opportunities throughout the game

Manager Don Givens (main pic) will be a relieved man as it took over 6 hours of football to get that elusive goal. But once again another young Irish player threw his bottle out of the pram before a ball had even been kicked. Chris McCann decided to pull out of the squad just before kick off as he wasn’t in the first team.

Givens had this to say: “The background was that Chris McCann came to me at 5.15pm and said he didn't want to be in the squad tonight as It was a waste of time him being here."

"He travelled to Montenegro and did not take part. He wasn't in the starting line-up tonight and he didn't want to be in the squad. I said to him have a think about it because it is obviously going to affect your future. He said that he didn't want to be in so I said to pack his things and go.

"I regret now that he hadn't told me earlier because I'd have got somebody else on the bench. I'd have got a local boy in.
I could have got somebody in because half this town would give their right arm to play for their country. Here's a kid who doesn't want to be there. I can never understand anybody that doesn't want to pull on the green shirt."

"I don't know the boy very well. He trained fine. There was no problem with his training in Dublin or here. As soon as the team was announced I wish he'd come to me then."

YBIG would like to know, what is wrong with these young players coming through?

erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 3:57am

Ye can see y the kid fcuked off.playing every game there is for burnley and they love him there

This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 3:57am

Yeah well lets hope Chris McCann whoever he is never gets to pull on the shirt again.See when they go to Britain young they develop themselves ego's. Example Robbie Keane -  Kevin Doyle  Chris McCann - Shane Long

erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 3:59am
thats just stupid

ROLL ON 2016
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 4:03am
Not sure what you're meaning there gouldinho......what has McCann done to merit throwing the toys outa the pram?  Doyle and Long an ego?  I strongly disagree.......Robbie has his tantrums but he's no Chris McCann. McCann can fck off with himself.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 4:06am
sure so can steve ireland then aswell???

f**kin stupid lads.

ROLL ON 2016
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 4:08am
erimus you are like a bear with a sore head today but i agree , we should not be alienating these young fellas , i hope approaches are made to mccann and ireland to get them back into the fold.....
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 4:19am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Not sure what you're meaning there gouldinho......what has McCann done to merit throwing the toys outa the pram?  Doyle and Long an ego?  I strongly disagree.......Robbie has his tantrums but he's no Chris McCann. McCann can fck off with himself.
Sorry i think that came out wrong i meant long and doyle have great attiitudes while McCann? and keane dont
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 5:07am
Originally posted by gouldinho gouldinho wrote:

Sorry i think that came out wrong i meant long and doyle have great attiitudes while McCann? and keane dont

Rob keanes been with the set up nigh on 10 years don't recall him walking out, despite his moany arsed attitude on the pitch when does Keane not turn up for games??

This McCann lad only in the door and he wants out..harsh comparing the two. Givens told Stokes he was dropped for missing the game and Stokes is back maybe the same treatment of little lord fauntleroy McCann will work
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 5:20am
Stokes had an excuse that he was injured though, McCann took a strop 2 hours before the game, bit of a difference!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 5:54am
Stokes has made mistakes but he has taken his medicine and worked hard, big difference and Givens has recognised that as well.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

amen.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007 at 3:22pm

Hopefully the young lads learn from their mistakes as we should be nourturing the talent, not telling them to feck off!!

Maybe Givens dealt with it wrong behind closed doors? Maybe the young lad got stick?
Who's to know but with Givens track record regarding falling out with players i'll give the young lad the benefit of the doubt

Givens is a muppet anyway and would question his team selection frequently. U21 sides should nearly pick themselves from who's playing/performing etc and its only a stepping stione to the Senior side.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic