You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
    Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:17am
Have changed this up a bit folks.
Going to package this as A to Z of moments that made you proud to be an Irish soccer fans

IE..A is for Aldo v Mexico...Great to see the passion blah blaf
B..is for Bosnia. The magic moment we qualified for Euro 2016

As part of our new content section, which will be live next week, we will be collating content from the forum and packaging it up into engaging stories that will be shared through social channels etc.

So I am asking you to post moments in Irish foot ball that made you proud to bed Irish.
This can be anything, from Ray Houghton's goal in Stuttgart to Stephen Rice's goal for Shamrock Rovers in White Hart Lane.
Or more obscure like when Tony Cascarino put it up to the Turks, or when the YBIG community joined together to raise 80k for Dave Langan.

Fire away folks

Edited by The GerK - 29 Apr 2016 at 10:59am
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:32am
Shane Long vs zee Germans. A special special night that put the doubters and begrudgers firmly back in their box.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:33am
Jeez so many!  Monies raised by YBIG for so many charities down the years, to YBIG's gesture when the Austrian fans got mugged.  

The start of the jolly Green Army from 1988 remains a massive memory however for how we utterly charmed the Germans during Euro 88, I'll scan and post the letter that appeared in the Indo from the German owners of The Dubliner Pub in Cologne from after the tournament.  That paved the way in my opinion for how Irish fans have been welcomed for away trips ever since (apart from a couple of away venue exceptions such as Moscow and Bratislava and one or two more).  Euro 88 lit the touchpaper and Irish fans have been setting cities alight ever since in my opinion.  Long may that continue as I know it will.

Other examples of how proud a Paddy I've been were the Fields of Athenry in Gdansk, a show of real defiance when the country and the team were in utter sh*te, the atmosphere at half time in Hanover in 1988 when we were a goal up and playing the USSR off the pitch having beaten England three days earlier, this was real hair on the back of the neck stuff, I'll never forget it.

Sheedy's goal in Cagliari, fook that was special as we were all drowned rats from the thunderstorm and being bated by the English fans that was 'aving a disco up to that point.  Up yours yiz shower of bastds. Tongue

More will come to mind later. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:36am
Aldo and Big Jack sticking it to that prick of a FIFA official in Orlando during the WC game against the Mexicans

Edited by Denis Irwin - 18 Apr 2016 at 10:37am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:10am
Houghton's goal v England will always be my stand out moment it's what made me fall in love with the beautiful game. Dave Barry's goal v Bayern Munich is very close to my heart also.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:28am
I think the accolades that followed euro 2012, best fans at the tournament and we were out in the first round.
Is great knowing I was part of it.
There'll be so many others and I'm looking forward to reading them.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:34am
Glen Whelan's strike and celebration vs Italy 09. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:38am
Rob Kiernan's handling of Leigh Griffiths in the Scottish cup semi final to seal his place in the Ireland squad for the next campaign
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Rob Kiernan's handling of Leigh Griffiths in the Scottish cup semi final to seal his place in the Ireland squad for the next campaign

Heart was bursting with pride as the tears streamed down my face. It was majestic
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:21pm
My Granda passed away during the week and at the funeral my Dad told a tale of him supporting Ireland as a 23 year old. My Granda told me the same story recently enough and he was able to recite the whole Ireland team with the club teams they played for and talked me through the goals we scored. The match was England away in Goodison in 1949. We were complete underdogs with a hiding expected. England had never lost at home as far as I know. Goals from Con Martin and Peter Farrell gave us a 2-0 win.

On the way back to the boat my Granda was asked 'Oi Paddy, what score was the game'. '2-0' he replied. 'We only beat you 2-0?? Bloody hell'. 'No, we beat you'. A very proud memory for him.

Agree with FW about the FOA in Gdansk,incredible to be there for that. 

Many lads on on here have a lot to be proud of for their work through YBIG for various charities.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Terry Mancicni View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Mancicni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:24pm
Fields of Athenry in Gdansk, was magical. And not for the bollixology that was spun in the media after about the fans being there for a piss-up or how could we be singing like that at 4-0. It was a incredible moment of solidarity and defiance. The country was in the sh*te, the team had performed poorly and had failed to get the fans to a major tournament in 10 years. Yet that 10mins of continuous singing encapsulated the spirit, fight and never say die attitude of the country. That moment and the reaction it got worldwide was a very proud moment for us.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:36pm
Well said Terry Thumbs Up
Theres only one sport that matters..
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Terry Mancicni Terry Mancicni wrote:

Fields of Athenry in Gdansk, was magical. And not for the bollixology that was spun in the media after about the fans being there for a piss-up or how could we be singing like that at 4-0. It was a incredible moment of solidarity and defiance. The country was in the sh*te, the team had performed poorly and had failed to get the fans to a major tournament in 10 years. Yet that 10mins of continuous singing encapsulated the spirit, fight and never say die attitude of the country. That moment and the reaction it got worldwide was a very proud moment for us.

thought that was an embarrassing moment myself. As fans we are self indulgent, love a pat on the head.

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:45pm
One moment to distinguish how us Irish fans are a bit different. Paris, September 2004. French national anthem. 40,000 Irish singing along. No boos. No jeers. The footage of Raymond Domenech and the entire French bench turning and looking down to our end. Magic. Roy Keane and Kilbane absolutely bossed the midfield that night as well. If only O'Shea had finished that chance at the back stick. 12 years later, I still don't know how he missed it. There's a youtube video somewhere of the anthems etc. Can't link it at the moment, will find it later.

The fans match in Torun 2012 was special as well...serious crowd, surprisingly decent game of ball, considering some of the donkeys togging out for us, followed by one of the great nights on an Irish away trip with FW leading an entire beerhall in a repertoire of Irish ballads, songs, and of course,  One Night in November. It was the perfect tonic which went some way to softening the blow after the Spanish game in Gdansk Clap
Touts Out!
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:47pm
Seeing Rob Kiernan doing the bouncy and celebrating after beating Celtic it demonstrates how far we've come as a society. Open and accepting to all, recently passed gay marriage and now our ex u21 captain playing and flourishing for the Teddy Bears
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:48pm
Loads of memories for me :

- Outside Hennesseys in Kingsbury before the friendly at Wembley. The sing songs there and outside the tube stop were brilliant. 
- Paris 2004 : Just for the sheer number of fans that travelled.
- The first friendly in Fulham against Colombia. Nobody really knew there was a game on (Local people etc) but they certainly did after !
- Was mentioned by Gerk but the Rovers - Spurs game is one of my favourite ever games over here in the 15 years I've been here. The number of fans, the non-stop chanting, the madness when Ricer's goal went in. Worked at the time with a Spurs season ticket holder and he reckoned that was a loudest away fans that had been to white hart lane in years. Went with lads from Limerick and Galway and they were joining in the songs by the end !
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:50pm
it has to be Shane long v germany. 

Beating the world champions in a crunch game after 13 years of not beating a team ranked higher than us at home. Also considering the fact that they humiliated us 6-1 at home only 3 years before that, and how we embarrassed ourselves at the euros. 

After that it would be

France away, superb performance, just not enough on the night but i was really proud of the display.

Spain in the world cup, another great performance, should have beaten them.

Holland at home, beating an arrogant dutch team with 10 men, inspiring performance. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Portal View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Mr. Paranoid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Portal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

So I am asking you to post moments in Irish foot ball that made you proud to bed Irish.

Is this the home game equivalent of the Polish sweethearts thread?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic