Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ARTHUR FITZSIMONS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ARTHUR FITZSIMONS
    Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 1:18pm

With the fame and wealth that modern Irish Internationals achieve its easy to forget about the great Irish players that went before that many of us never got to see even on old grainy tv footage.

I had been aware that Arthur Fitzsimons who played for Ireland with distinction from 1949 to 1959 lived around the corner from me and id often seen him walking and meant to stop and have a chat with him but didn't want to disturb him. The other night he was in our local shop in front of me and as he went out I said id say hello. I wasn't trying to get a jersey off him before some smart arse cracks that line!!!

We got talking and he seemed surprised that someone my age had even heard of him or knew who he was or worse could tell him he scored 7 goals in 20 odd games in a ten year Irish career!!.He started talking about the great players he played with and the efforts that Irish players made to even get home to play for their country during that era.The lack of facilities, medical backup, kit and the poor wages on offer but that nothing would stop him getting home to play for his country.30 minutes had passed and I didn't want to delay him so I just asked him-"what was it like to pull on the green jersey and play for your country"?

His eyes started to mist over and his voice trembled as he started to tell me about the "unforgettable noise that you could hear inside the dressing room in Dalymount as we got ready. The hairs standing up on the back of my neck as i put on my jersey knowing that i was going out to play in front of and for my country and how when i stood for the national anthem i felt 10 ft tall and as strong as 10 men.We feared no one.I never played for money or fame but for my country and id do it all again in a heartbeat".

By this stage Arthur wasn't the only one who was misty eyed!!!! He is 85 in December and still looks as fit as he did back in the 50s.It was a real inspiration and privilege listening to him talk and some of the current generation of Irish footballers could do with listening to him speak to fire them up before they wear that green jersey to really appreciate the great honour they receive every time they are even called up to a squad.

Arthur had a great career that took him from Shelbourne,Boro,Lincoln,Mansfield,Crusaders,Drogheda and Ireland.He scored 7 goals in 26 Internationals over a ten year period and was a 1 in 4 goalscorer at all levels.The FAI inducted him in the Hall of Fame in 2009 and he also has an alcove dedicated to his career in Abbottstown.

Arthur Fitzsimons will never be as famous or as wealthy as any of the modern players but like all our ex players they do deserve to be remembered for their efforts in Green. It was a real pleasure to meet him.
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Sponsored Links

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 1:53pm
Good post.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Good post.

+1Clap
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 2:26pm
Good man Eddie, must ask me Da about him, same era, me Da would be 4 years younger. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 2:33pm
Nice story Eddie. Fair play.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 4:35pm
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 5:58pm
Nice post, fair dues.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 6:05pm
Brilliant post dude
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 12:35am
Clap
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 12:36am
Great post
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 8:15am
Lovely to see Arthur Fitzsimons being recognized at the SSE Awards last night.Very well deserved honour for a man who gave everything for his country.

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:28am
Very sad to learn that Arthur Fitzsimmons passed away.A real gentleman and a great servant to Irish football.

Rest in Peace.🍀⚽🇮🇪

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:17pm
Some great posts Eddie.

Have some personal accounts of Arthur Fitzsimons who was a total and utter gentleman.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:19pm

John Giles spoke very warmly about Arthur on Off the Ball during the week. He described thinking of Arthur as a hero when Giles was a young lad. 
El Puto Amo
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:24pm
Missed this thread originally, great post Eddie, well told. 

RIP Arthur. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 4:07pm
Brilliant post Eddie. RIP.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 May 2018 at 4:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic