You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armstrong Okoflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He hasn't really done anything to warrant a call up at U21 level.

Has done nothing and we have good options at our underage levels.
A player should need way more than 30 mins for a depleted Scottish Prem team to warrant a slot in our U21 squad.
Not completely blaming the lad as Coffey and Connell haven't even gotten those 30 minutes...get out on loan, lads!
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:54am
Was doing well until he went to Celtic. Unfortunately, like a few other young Irish players, he has wasted a few years of development by going there. Did nothing of note during his 30 minutes on the pitch the last night, and wouldn't have been close to the team only for the Dubai Covid thing.

Hopefully he can get out of there this summer and try to make progress somewhere in England. I doubt he'll make our under 21s in the short term, there are too many others ahead of him. But he's eligible for the under 19s this year so he should play with them and then might progress to the 21s later in the campaign, will probably have a better chance if he gets out of Glasgow.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Was doing well until he went to Celtic. Unfortunately, like a few other young Irish players, he has wasted a few years of development by going there. Did nothing of note during his 30 minutes on the pitch the last night, and wouldn't have been close to the team only for the Dubai Covid thing.

Hopefully he can get out of there this summer and try to make progress somewhere in England. I doubt he'll make our under 21s in the short term, there are too many others ahead of him. But he's eligible for the under 19s this year so he should play with them and then might progress to the 21s later in the campaign, will probably have a better chance if he gets out of Glasgow.

If there was a progressive managerial change at Celtic, you never know. I though oxoflex looked alot brighter and sharper than Cameron Harper, young american lad playing. He is out of contract in the summer, and i thinknthats been mentioned in the forum. Linked with Palace. 
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

what did we expect him to do he came on and did fine certainly did not look like he was out of place . some posters are incredible hard on young players for any perceived thing to not be world class
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:22pm
I didn't feel that he created much during his time on the pitch, which is ultimately what he was sent on to do. Looked comfortable on the ball and everything, but that's to be expected.

Even allowing for the missing players Celtic had a much stronger team than Hibs on paper in defence and midfield, and certainly a much more expensive one. With that advantage behind him I would have hoped he would have added some creativity and made a statement that he's ready for more first team minutes, but he didn't really.

Hopefully he gets another chance against Livingston.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:18pm
I thought he was peng when he came on.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:31pm
He might be Peng when he's older...
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 4:54pm
A good move getting out of Celtic and heading to West Ham but I read there's talk he would be looked at as a 1st-team squad-member with a view to getting 1st-team action.

I find it hard to believe a lad who couldn't get a look in in the SPL would get anything close to a look-in for a top half PL team, but here's hoping he can progress this season with the Hammers and then hopefully get into our U21s.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

A good move getting out of Celtic and heading to West Ham but I read there's talk he would be looked at as a 1st-team squad-member with a view to getting 1st-team action.

I find it hard to believe a lad who couldn't get a look in in the SPL would get anything close to a look-in for a top half PL team, but here's hoping he can progress this season with the Hammers and then hopefully get into our U21s.

I was wondering. I would have thought that a loan or under 23 football would be most likely. Would be surprised if he got first team games but far from disappointed!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:26pm

He played for Celtic and he was absolutely dirt. Good move by Celtic.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

This lad may end up playing LOI football in 6 years time for all I know havent watched him play but you say “he played for Celtic and he was dirt” 

He’s a just turned 19yo kid who made two appearances off the bench for Celtic playing 39 minutes in total. 

Would you boot a new employee out of a job 39 minutes in for being dirt if you were a boss?? 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 8:09pm
Was there a fee for him?
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was there a fee for him?

Fexible
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 9:31pm

It’s wine o clock somewhere 😂😂
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 10:38pm
What's the story with this lad, can someone fill me in on the details?
Born in Dublin, played for England and then us?
I see that he transferred from Arsenal to Celtic, played 39 mins and seems to have pissed off fans with some social media posts?

He's packed a lot into a career already for a 19 year old!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 12:07am

Played two times for them, can hardly call him dirt based on that? 
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 6:13am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

He played for Celtic 2 times. They were both when Celtic were missing most of their squad because of the Dubai fiasco and most of first team were self isolating. Half of the team were kids and whole team were very poor. He wouldn’t have got a chance otherwise and he was poor, very poor. However Celtic was a poisonous place at the time . Fans calling for lennons head on a weekly basis and results going against them. I doubt he would have been given a chance on his own merits . Which says more about lennon than it does about the youth at Celtic . The amount of youth that were left to rot at the club with him in charge wa shocking 

Played two times for them, can hardly call him dirt based on that? 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 7:56am
Young players have to take their chance when they get it. Okoflex was indeed fortunate to get a couple of cameo appearances in the Celtic first team but did not do much. Teenagers at any club have to be exceptional to break through and though Okoflex was one of Celtic's better youngsters, he and others were not adjudged good enough for early promotion to the first team, unlike say Tierney, Forrest and others who broke through early. Huddersfield almost signed him last season, transfer broke down at the last minute, Crystal Palace made an offer but were turned down. Now he's got a chance at West Ham and I hope he takes it. He did look like an exceptional prospect at Arsenal and maybe should have stayed there longer. The good news is that he's Irish rather than English or Nigerian at the moment so if he does come good, we may have a player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic