You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armstrong Okoflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'm curious to see what Jim Crawford does should Okoflex show promise.

The forward options are a recovering-from-injury L1 Odubeko, the highly rated PL2 Ferguson and JJ Kayode, recently loaned to MK Dons but yet to really start his season (maybe add in Johnny Kenny also).
So all four are in the same boat in that none have done anything of note this season.

If the Israel match were tomorrow, I'd have Ferguson as the front-runner but it won't take much for any of them to stake a claim.

But the thing is, Okoflex did nothing in the last U21 camp, not even making benches, so you'd wonder what was up there and even if he were to look the best of the lot, I'd be shocked if he were to get near the team.

If he plays regularly for Swansea between now and then he should definitely be in the squad imo. I'm not sure what the issue is with Crawford (or indeed if there is one) and to be fair, Okoflex was only playing reserve team football back in October. 

Ebosele is another lad who should be starting for the U21s. Again I'm not sure whether its the player himself or Crawford who bears responsibility, but from the outside looking in, the omission of Ebosele and the subsequent call up to the senior squad was strange.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

The forward options are a recovering-from-injury L1 Odubeko, the highly rated PL2 Ferguson and JJ Kayode, recently loaned to MK Dons but yet to really start his season (maybe add in Johnny Kenny also).
So all four are in the same boat in that none have done anything of note this season.

If the Israel match were tomorrow, I'd have Ferguson as the front-runner but it won't take much for any of them to stake a claim.

But the thing is, Okoflex did nothing in the last U21 camp, not even making benches, so you'd wonder what was up there and even if he were to look the best of the lot, I'd be shocked if he were to get near the team.

If he plays regularly for Swansea between now and then he should definitely be in the squad imo. I'm not sure what the issue is with Crawford (or indeed if there is one) and to be fair, Okoflex was only playing reserve team football back in October. 

Ebosele is another lad who should be starting for the U21s. Again I'm not sure whether its the player himself or Crawford who bears responsibility, but from the outside looking in, the omission of Ebosele and the subsequent call up to the senior squad was strange.

Also he is a winger rather than a striker, so he would be competing with the likes of Wright and Kerrigan for a spot rather than Kayode, Odubeko, Ferguson. Russell Martin when talking about the Okoflex signing said “He’s a wide player who really likes to get at people". so I'm guessing that's where he will play him.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 3:48pm

Funnily enough, it's exactly the type of loan Crawford seemed to be advising against last time Okoflex was called up to the 21's.

Anyway, he's a young attacker so I wouldn't worry too much if it's a tough year for him. As plenty of others have shown recently, challenging periods aren't exactly the end of the road for young players, in fact they're often the making of them.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 4:03pm
What I find curious about his, and even more so, Ebosele's, omission is that Crawford played a 4-5-1 in the last 2 games of the campaign with Wright and Kerrigan wide, yet didnt seem to have a wide player on the bench (I would see Devoy/Tierney/Noss, even Ollie O'Neill as #10's rather than wide players). Surely he has to at least make the bench for the Israel game if he is getting game time in the Championship. Has Tyreik Wright even got a move this summer, obviously Kerrigan seems to be doing well and is getting minutes off the bench for Como.

I have to confess I remain wholly unconvinced by Crawford despite his success in guiding us to a play off.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 4:09pm

Also he is a winger rather than a striker, so he would be competing with the likes of Wright and Kerrigan for a spot rather than Kayode, Odubeko, Ferguson. Russell Martin when talking about the Okoflex signing said “He’s a wide player who really likes to get at people". so I'm guessing that's where he will play him.

The thing is though, Swansea don't play with wingers, they play 3-5-2. So he'll need to play wing back if he's not going to be up front.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 4:13pm
Swansea play 3-4-2-1 mostly. Last game they played 4-3-3.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 6:36pm
Not sure how it's Crawford's fault if players couldn't be arsed to turn up and/or think they're too good to play under-21 football.

There's absolutely no evidence out there that he has an abrasive personality with players or has done anything to ostracise them. And if they don't like his tactics, that's not an excuse to cry out of squads.

Meanwhile there's ample evidence that several players turned down call-ups for the reasons outlined. In fairness to one of them, he's proven he's good enough for senior International football, but the point still stands that Crawford doesn't deserve to be lumped in with a Don Givens.

As for the aspersions cast around his management ability, I thought his in-game management in several games, most notably Sweden, was superb.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Not sure how it's Crawford's fault if players couldn't be arsed to turn up and/or think they're too good to play under-21 football.

There's absolutely no evidence out there that he has an abrasive personality with players or has done anything to ostracise them. And if they don't like his tactics, that's not an excuse to cry out of squads.

Meanwhile there's ample evidence that several players turned down call-ups for the reasons outlined. In fairness to one of them, he's proven he's good enough for senior International football, but the point still stands that Crawford doesn't deserve to be lumped in with a Don Givens.

As for the aspersions cast around his management ability, I thought his in-game management in several games, most notably Sweden, was superb.

You've spun out this trope before. Okoflex did turn up for Under 21 duty. It amazes me that you think you can continue to just lie with impunity and not get called up on it. Maybe you just can't help it when it comes to a player like Okoflex.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

You've spun out this trope before. Okoflex did turn up for Under 21 duty. It amazes me that you think you can continue to just lie with impunity and not get called up on it. Maybe you just can't help it when it comes to a player like Okoflex.
The same Okoflex who has played for England. Anyways, I was referring primarily to Connolly, Ebosele, Obafemi and Odubeko. And my post was in reference to several posts on this thread implying some wrongdoing on Crawford's part in interacting with players. I just wanted to dispel that.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 7:40pm

The same Okoflex who has played for England. Anyways, I was referring primarily to Connolly, Ebosele, Obafemi and Odubeko. And my post was in reference to several posts on this thread implying some wrongdoing on Crawford's part in interacting with players. I just wanted to dispel that.

Connolly has never withdrawn from an Under 21 squad under Crawford either. You know that of course, but you had your reasons for wanting to add him to that list of names.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 7:50pm

Connolly has never withdrawn from an Under 21 squad under Crawford either. You know that of course, but you had your reasons for wanting to add him to that list of names.

You've spent the last thirty minutes looking that up I suppose. Pretty sure I read he didn't want to drop into the under-21s. You wrongly assumed I was talking about Okoflex in your latest bout of paranoia and now you're on to another victim. Suppose you'll be accusing me of being racist against people from Galway now. 

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 30 Aug 2022 at 7:52pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 11:56pm
From the BBC - didn't quite realise that - they're some figures Hug:

"Oko-Flex scored 18 goals in 29 appearances for West Ham's under-23 side in 2021-22, and was involved in David Moyes' senior squad on 13 occasions last season without making an appearance."
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 2:58pm
Swansea sounds like too much too soon for Okoflex. I watched him a couple of times for West Ham in pre-season and he was miles off. One game he came on for 30 mins and gave the ball away every time he touched it (Coventry in the same game looked very comfortable & at home).

Could be an intentional "character building loan" that isn't supposed to work out.

Interesting that Okoflex gets a first loan to the Championship, whereas Odubeko has suffered his first loan in L1 and goes back there again.You'd expect Odubeko to be more prepared for men's football but WH don't agree and they would know more.

I can't see Okoflex getting much joy from this loan, if I'm honest.  Not helped by the fact that Swansea are struggling.

TBF, Odubeko was sent to Huddersfield the first half of last season and they were pushing for Play-Off spots. He wasn't ready for it and then was sent to Doncaster in L1 for the second half of the season. Very much mirrored Parrotts first season, sent to Play-Off pushing Millwall, recalled & sent to Ipswich instead.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 3:11pm
I'd completely forgotten that Odubeko went to Huddersfield before Doncaster actually, I'd say maybe Fozz was the same.

The recent record of Irish players going on first loans to the Championship isn't great - Parrott, Odubeko, Adaramola if today's rumour is true. Even Conor Coventry last season at Peterborough - and that was actually his second loan after he had a short stint at Lincoln before the Covid outbreak. Similar with the Irish based lads moving to that level recently - James Brown and Danny Grant for instance. It's becoming a tougher league to break through into.

The only recent successful first loan there I can think of is Jayson Molumby to Millwall, that was actually a really impressive year from him looking back at it now.

So yes, Oko-flex is going to have to be good to survive beyond January at that level.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 9:19pm
Was subbed on at half time tonight. Currently 2-2, and Manning still missing with injury.

Edited by J89 - 18 Oct 2022 at 9:22pm
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Was subbed on at half time tonight. Currently 2-2, and Manning still missing with injury.
subbed on only to be subbed off Confused
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 9:58pm
They were 2 - 1 down when he came on and 3-2 up when he came off, more than likely tactical and supposedly played well.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 10:03pm
Was worried that he'd had an absolute shocker when I saw that, but apparently he was fine, they just threw an extra defender on late to defend their lead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic