You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armenia (h) nations league

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sipod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:07pm
Is there a plan to watch the Under 21 Play Off before hand somewhere ?
Block 114
First Game : v Greece April 2000
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think it will be the same team that started with Hendrick in for Cullen. .

Id have no major issue with that although i feel Ogbene has to accomodated. Hes a real handful and looks like scoring if given the chance. Hes in form also. I think were wasting an opportunity leaving him on the bench right now.
Could see Ogbene struggling in a game like this tbh. Not likely to get much space in behind and his decision making is questionable at best, not ideal in a game where we’ll need to make smart decisions in the final third to break them down.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Id have no major issue with that although i feel Ogbene has to accomodated. Hes a real handful and looks like scoring if given the chance. Hes in form also. I think were wasting an opportunity leaving him on the bench right now.
Could see Ogbene struggling in a game like this tbh. Not likely to get much space in behind and his decision making is questionable at best, not ideal in a game where we’ll need to make smart decisions in the final third to break them down.

I dont agree with any of that. How is his decision making questionable?
I love beer gardens
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:43pm

I’ve noticed it in a few games but it was mostly in the first one against Armenia. Gave the ball away a heap of times in the final third by passing it when he shouldn’t have passed it or picking the wrong pass altogether. My memory isn’t strong enough to recall exact scenarios but it happened a good few times. Robinson was also bad for it in that game.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:56pm

I’ve noticed it in a few games but it was mostly in the first one against Armenia. Gave the ball away a heap of times in the final third by passing it when he shouldn’t have passed it or picking the wrong pass altogether. My memory isn’t strong enough to recall exact scenarios but it happened a good few times. Robinson was also bad for it in that game.

Hes brutal for it and even worse for drifting out of central positions to wide. When he came on last night we were practically playing 3-6-1 with himself and McClean/Brady getting in one anothers way far too often on the left and Ogbene being the only options ready to receive a ball into the area.

Bar his flash in the pan run of 3/4 games this time last year for us hes seriously gone missing and should be nowhere near the team. Id sooner give Hogan a run off the bench.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Anyway enough of the post mortems and quibbling over Kenny. Thoughts on the XI to face Armenia? Don't see too many changes myself, fitness issues notwithstanding, Hendrick for the suspended Cullen and surely Ogbene has to start for one of the front pair.

I'd get fresh legs in as much as possible. We have enough examples now where we put in a big shift in for one game and followed it up 3 days later with a fatigue-hit flat performances that we should take the hint.

Serbia away -> Lux home
Portugal away -> Azerbaijan home
Belgium -> Lithuania
Armenia away ->Ukraine home.

I'd go:

Robinson    Ogbene
                 Browne
Brady Molumby Hendrick Doherty
         O'Shea Egan Collins
                 Bazunu

Parrott & Obafemi to get 20-30mins. That's clearly a great partnership in the making even though they've only played together twice ever. Getting them on the pitch together as often as possible should be a priority to help develop that.

Edited by Greenie50 - 25 Sep 2022 at 7:07pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 7:52pm
I wouldn't change much here. Hendrick for Cullen and go again. That team is good enough to stick a few past Armenia at home. Bringing in the likes of Browne and Robinson here is asking for trouble when we don't need to do it.
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 7:56pm
Hasn’t Kenny alluded to previously that one of his lessons learnt is that players who aren’t playing much club football struggle with 2 games in 72 hrs for the national team? (I mean yes it makes sense). 

Taking that into account I could see Doherty dropping out at least..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:03pm
Id bring in Ogbene for Parrott. Not cause of the miss but Ogbene offers such a threat and id back him to score if he gets a chance. Obafemi has done enough in the last few games to keep his place for now. Any of Hendrick Browne or Brady could replace Cullen. 
I love beer gardens
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:16pm

Obafemi------------Ogbene
Parrott

Brady------Cullen----Hendrick-----Doherty

Egan-----Duffy----Collins

Bazunu

I'd freshen it up a little bit for this one. Duffy's aerial threat might be useful. Brady would add extra creativity, as would Hendrick over Molumby (different type of game). We need to dominate possession.

I'd stick with Parrott. He needs a goal to build confidence. Obafemi and Ogbene's pace down the sides with him acting as the link man, is something I would like to see.

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:17pm
Cullen is suspended
I love beer gardens
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:18pm

Cullen is suspended

In that case, Molumby in for him.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 7:31am
Spare ticket in 114 for tomorrow night.  Drop me a PM if interested.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Parrott

Bazunu

I'd freshen it up a little bit for this one. Duffy's aerial threat might be useful. Brady would add extra creativity, as would Hendrick over Molumby (different type of game). We need to dominate possession.

I'd stick with Parrott. He needs a goal to build confidence. Obafemi and Ogbene's pace down the sides with him acting as the link man, is something I would like to see.

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

Cullen is suspended. 3-4-3 for me (I know, I know)

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

I'd have no problem with Brady in for Mc Clean, but Mc Clean did enough to keep his spot assuming he's fully fit. Brady might be worth the spot for his set piece delivery however. Fitness permitting, Matt should start again, he will be sharper for the 80 minutes on Saturday and I think Coleman's days as a starter are gone, particularly at RWB where he's never really looked comfortable. No reason to change the CB's (we might need Duffy on for the last 10 though Smile, hopefully not)

Jeff in for the suspended Cullen, Molumby to do the dirty work (Knight can come off the bench 2nd half to keep energy levels up)

I'd personally rest Troy for reasons outlined in other threads, but he can come in for Robinson off the bench. Obafemi and Hogan to share the minutes up top 60/30 depending on fitness.

Thats my preference, but it's a big call for Kenny. He can obviously go with 3 in midfield with Browne or Knight as the 3rd midfielder - I just dont think either offer enough in terms of their passing/output in a game where we need goals. If we had a Smallbone or the like, I'd be more inclined to do that and I'd see that as Smallbone's potential position in the team when he steps up in November.

Idah Dream!
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 9:59am

Parrott

Bazunu

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

I'd have no problem with Brady in for Mc Clean, but Mc Clean did enough to keep his spot assuming he's fully fit. Brady might be worth the spot for his set piece delivery however. Fitness permitting, Matt should start again, he will be sharper for the 80 minutes on Saturday and I think Coleman's days as a starter are gone, particularly at RWB where he's never really looked comfortable. No reason to change the CB's (we might need Duffy on for the last 10 though Smile, hopefully not)

Jeff in for the suspended Cullen, Molumby to do the dirty work (Knight can come off the bench 2nd half to keep energy levels up)

I'd personally rest Troy for reasons outlined in other threads, but he can come in for Robinson off the bench. Obafemi and Hogan to share the minutes up top 60/30 depending on fitness.

Thats my preference, but it's a big call for Kenny. He can obviously go with 3 in midfield with Browne or Knight as the 3rd midfielder - I just dont think either offer enough in terms of their passing/output in a game where we need goals. If we had a Smallbone or the like, I'd be more inclined to do that and I'd see that as Smallbone's potential position in the team when he steps up in November.

We can't play with a forward 3, how many times have we seen it fail under Kenny. It has to be 3-5-2. We don't have the players to not play 2 up top
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:23am
I can't believe people are calling just 2 central midfielders, very short memories.
Especially since Cullen is injured.

....................Bazuzu...................
.......Collins.....Egan....O'Shea.......
Coleman.......Molumby......McClean
........Hendrick.........Knight..........
......Ogbene............Obafemi........

Bazuza picks himself.
Keep the back three defenders the same, all comfortable on the ball, Collins and O'Shea can make runs forward to over load areas.
I thought Doherty let himself down with poor defending for the first Scottish goal and  missing a good chance as well as poor decision making in the final third. That is the only reason I'm going with Coleman, 6 of 1 and half a dozen in th other both are not match sharp.
I thought McClean did nothing wrong that last night, I think his energy and combative nature is what will be needed, he can be replaced with Brady if he is not preforming.
Try Molumby in Cullens role, Hendrick and Knight should have enough ability to get forward, create and battle in midfield.
I know people have said Ogbene and Obafemi won't work together but they havent actually played together to find that out. Parrott worked hard and played the full match so I don't think he will have the energy levels and take him out of the firing line with all the attention he is getting about missing that one on one in the Scots match. 
A few ify calls there I know. But I don't think Doherty, Brown or Brady did enough to start.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Parrott

Bazunu

Hoping for a 2-0 win. 

BAZUNU

COLLINS EGAN O'SHEA

DOHERTY MC CLEAN
MOLUMBY HENDRICK

OGBENE ROBINSON
OBAFEMI/HOGAN

We can't play with a forward 3, how many times have we seen it fail under Kenny. It has to be 3-5-2. We don't have the players to not play 2 up top

It's a concern for sure, but we played 5-2-3 over there with weaker personnel (Coleman and Stevens were the wing backs - No Obafemi) and while we lost, we were much the better team (I watched it back), so I dont think the formation was necessarily the issue -we had 65% possession, 6 corners to 2, 13 attempts to 9. At home, we are going to have a lot of possession again - I just dont see that the like of Knight or Browne as the 3rd midfielder are the kind of lads to help us break them down (Smallbone then maybe), so I'd go again with what should really have worked over there (we didnt actually play that badly despite the result imo). We will create chances, we have to take them.
Idah Dream!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:15am
Kenny confirms 1 or 2 changes only. 
Individual errors let us down on Saturday, some borne out of lack of game time or lack of confidence from club level.

Tomorrow is must win 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic