You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Are We a Country?'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 1:46am
It wasn't a famine either. It was a crop failure. A crop that the impoverished native people were reduced to depending on growing on poor land as their overlords grazed fat cattle on the better land. Exports continued throughout the "famine years" to other lands in the empire.

Terrible, terrible deeds perpetrated on the people. It's only an idiot who would think the Irish people owed the British people of the early twentieth century anything other than utter contempt.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What was the point of WW1 anyway? Pointless war.

"I joined the British Army because she stood between Ireland and an enemy common to our own civilisation and I would not have her say that she defended us while we did nothing at home but pass resolutions" - Francis Ledwidge, Poet, Irish Nationalist and Royal Inniskilling Fusileer, killed at Passchendaele, 1917.

P.S. I'm not going to get into an interminable argument over WWI, so this will be my last comment on the matter.

That's a nonsense point of view though (Ledwidge's, that us). It's typical of the romantic notion of war that was peddled at the time. There's certainly an argument for that sort of rhetoric in relation to WW2 but WW1 was little more than a family spat to protect the interests of the ruling classes amidst the dying breath of empire building. There aren't even major ideological reasons involved, it was an appalling and pointless waste of human life.

Re the flag, I don't see the problem with it, each to their own. It does show how difficult it is for NI to ever be a true cross community team though. The comparison to the Walters flag is crazy though, as someone said, the Walters one is more akin to Rooney's face being superimposed onto a Churchill picture or the like.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Re the flag, I don't see the problem with it, each to their own. It does show how difficult it is for NI to ever be a true cross community team though. The comparison to the Walters flag is crazy though, as someone said, the Walters one is more akin to Rooney's face being superimposed onto a Churchill picture or the like

The NI flag's in poor taste, maybe a bit more so than the Walters and Rooney examples. Best comparison mentioned above is with your Easter games and people linking them with the Rising.

That said, I doubt it makes any difference to efforts towards a cross-community team. There are much more serious blocks to that, with plenty of support, in both main communities.

More cheerfully, I came out of the effective lottery successfully, got both of our first two games which I applied for (I have 19 points of a possible 29 in our priority system). Alas I won't be able to join ye for a creme de menthe in La Rochelle or wherever ;) )

Had we been drawn to play in Lille or Lens I would have visited family memorials in the Somme Valley- but I haven't been previously, so it's not as important to me as many.

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 2:33pm

Hopefully the North East of Ireland fans have many more of these flags in France. These flags will convince more and more nationalists to play for Ireland.

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 10:40am
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 11:14am
Not good. The Council should remove the mural and until then the IFA should use somewhere else.
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 11:22am
Remove it? NEVER. it's our wee kulture! 

f***king typical shameful display however unsurprising in that neanderthal knuckle dragging society. 

darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 10:32am
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/anger-at-republic-of-ireland-teams-easter-rising-tribute-shirt-for-euros-34506231.html

Jesus Christ
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 11:25am
Why is it ok for England to wear a poppy to celebrate their freedom and not ok for the Republic to celebrate an uprising that was ultimately the catalyst for our freedom?

He should look more closely at flags with Northern Ireland crests being flown beside UVF flags in Belfast Sandy Row before he mouths off.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:18pm
Offended by everything ashamed of nothing.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 10:22am

Why is it ok for England to wear a poppy to celebrate their freedom and not ok for the Republic to celebrate an uprising that was ultimately the catalyst for our freedom?
It isn't, both are inappropriate because they politicise sporting events unnecessarily.

Quote He should look more closely at flags with Northern Ireland crests being flown beside UVF flags in Belfast Sandy Row before he mouths off

Whataboutery alert, and in any case inaccurate. The Irish FA doesn't condone paramilitarism.

As you probably know, Nelson Mancausla isn't really interested in football. It's crude electioneering.

I understand the dilemma for Government and other institutions in the Republic. They can hardly not commemorate the Rising, given that as you say it helped SF's electoral success in 1918 that then led to the War of Independence. Trouble is that many/ most will see the commemoration as a celebration of eventual independence, and it'll kick off a five-year long party. Inevitably Unionist and British commentators will see that as inappropriate.

To be fair to the FAI, at least the new shirt doesn't have a photo of a bomb site like the GAA's :(
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

It isn't, both are inappropriate because they politicise sporting events unnecessarily.

Quote He should look more closely at flags with Northern Ireland crests being flown beside UVF flags in Belfast Sandy Row before he mouths off

Whataboutery alert, and in any case inaccurate. The Irish FA doesn't condone paramilitarism.

As you probably know, Nelson Mancausla isn't really interested in football. It's crude electioneering.

I understand the dilemma for Government and other institutions in the Republic. They can hardly not commemorate the Rising, given that as you say it helped SF's electoral success in 1918 that then led to the War of Independence. Trouble is that many/ most will see the commemoration as a celebration of eventual independence, and it'll kick off a five-year long party. Inevitably Unionist and British commentators will see that as inappropriate.

To be fair to the FAI, at least the new shirt doesn't have a photo of a bomb site like the GAA's :(

Which jersey would that be?
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 12:24pm
Dublin County team jersey, isn't it?
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 12:26pm
That's not an official GAA jersey.

You won't see the Dublin team wearing that.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 12:27pm

You know your history.  Personally speaking poppies shouldn't be allowed nor should any political symbol. If that means a 1916 rising embroidery being not allowed so be it but have it fair across the board.

Secondly commemorating the 1916 rising is not going to kick off a 5 year party or host of celebrations. We became the Irish Free State in late 1922. That will probably be the next marked date.  Then becoming a Republic in 1949.

I hardly think that's over the top do you?  When you consider that the British celebrate/commemorate the ''Great War'' every year - not only on a single day but the whole month leading up to it every year with poppies and ceremonies etc...

The British were at least 50% to blame for ''The Great War'' as they got caught up in an arms race with the kaiser. They were as much to blame as the Germans in escalating tensions.

The Irish merely wanted independence for just causes. Years of discrimination, oppression, famine...

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 12:30pm

Dublin County team jersey, isn't it?

Bomb site?  Are you referring to the GPO in O'Connell Street?  The only ones who bombed that were the British with their artillery.Confused

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm

You know your history.  Personally speaking poppies shouldn't be allowed nor should any political symbol. If that means a 1916 rising embroidery being not allowed so be it but have it fair across the board

Thank you. I see the problem with the poppy as compulsion, not commemoration. This is increasingly recognised over here, as I mentioned, I mean you can hardly not notice it. I hope that as a result football clubs etc. will be more sensitive in future.

Quote Secondly commemorating the 1916 rising is not going to kick off a 5 year party or host of celebrations. We became the Irish Free State in late 1922. That will probably be the next marked date.  Then becoming a Republic in 1949

I was exaggerating for effect (and have no problem with a series of knees-ups), but other events- 1918 election, say, death of prominent figures will be marked surely? If that's a SF initiative, the other parties can hardly ignore them.

I mention this mainly to point out that Unionist hacks and right-wing English media will jump on anything the tiniest bit crass and exaggerate it. You'd be better off discouraging these than simply crying 'whataboutery?'.

Quote When you consider that the British celebrate/commemorate the ''Great War'' every year - not only on a single day but the whole month leading up to it every year with poppies and ceremonies etc...

Poppy Month commemorates/ fetishises the Brit military generally, not just WW1. It 's become much more obvious in recent years because of the Middle East Wars.

Quote The British were at least 50% to blame for ''The Great War'' as they got caught up in an arms race with the kaiser. They were as much to blame as the Germans in escalating tensions

Agreed.

Quote The Irish merely wanted independence for just causes. Years of discrimination, oppression, famine...

Nice use of 'merely'. You don't have to be a flat-Earth dickhead like Mancausla to challenge that. All-Ireland independence was quite a big thing for Unionists ;)

PS Apologies for that dig at the GAA- I knew or at least guessed that the shirt with the photo of the bombed GPO wasn't official.

I think it's widely known- even in the creationist schools Mancausla champions- that most deaths in the Rising were civilians caught in crossfire, in which obviously the Brits had more and bigger weapons.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 11:10am
https://youtu.be/unGYG-jqXm8 not a bad tune as far as football songs go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic