You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are there any potential expansion teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The incredibly high entrance fees should be used to help any promoted team bed in. Also, no team should be allowed entrance to this new division without an interest in accepting promotion.
A pyramid system is vital for Irish football, it must be implemented.

Hopefully every team that joins the league has ambition for promotion but you'll have some B teams in the league and what if Corks B team wins the league and enters the First Divison but pulls out mid season or at the end of the season because of the costs. If it was me the third tier would be made up of four regional leagues with the four winners playing off for the chance to play for a spot in the first Divison. Can barely keep some of the 20 clubs we have now in business so adding another league of ten teams in a carbon copy league with direct promotion will probably fail.

You're still putting a pyramid system in place just not with direct promotion from the new third tier into the second tier like they do in Scotland with the winners of the highland league and lowland playing off and the winner plays the team that finishes bottom of league 2 in Scotland.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:14pm
Then they shouldn't be allowed to join. City can afford two teams though, there would be more people at City's reserve games than any other first division team. Every time I used to go and watch Ramblers I recognised a lot of the crowd from the Cross. Play the games on a Sunday and they would pay their way.
Personally, I wouldn't like 'B' teams in the league proper. I would prefer the playoffs to be for clubs who want to progress though.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:59pm

Then they shouldn't be allowed to join. City can afford two teams though, there would be more people at City's reserve games than any other first division team. Every time I used to go and watch Ramblers I recognised a lot of the crowd from the Cross. Play the games on a Sunday and they would pay their way.
Personally, I wouldn't like 'B' teams in the league proper. I would prefer the playoffs to be for clubs who want to progress though.

You say that now but if they don't win the league they don't get champions league football and their money for Europe drops quite a bit and if they don't sell on players like they did last season that's less money. There off field costs went up this season and to compete with Dundalk they'll need all funds focused on the senior team. 

What you need is to get the regional senior leagues into the LOI system as a third tier, in time and if the money within LOI improves you can add a new tier and stick it inbetween regional leagues and first Divison.

So you start off with:

Premier Divison  (tier 1)
#direct promotion/relegation and play-off between these tiers
First Divison  (tier 2)
#just a play-off between these tiers
Regional leagues (tier 3) (consists of Munster, Leinster, Ulster, Connaught)

New company is being set up in 2020 to run the league and after its first 3 years of being set up and they increase the money available for league of ireland clubs they can think about adding a fourth tier and set up like this.

First Divison  (tier 2)
Second Divison (tier 3)
Regional leagues (tier 4) (consists of Munster, Leinster, Ulster, Connaught)

The new second Divison (tier 3) can be made of teams who've played in the previous tier 3 (regional leagues) for the first 3 and want to progress up the leagues. Need to walk before you can run and if you tack another ten team league on and it goes bust you're back to square one which will happen if you don't have more money and clubs pull out to go back to their regional senior league.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 10:58am
Regional divisions would make the most sense but I can't see it happening as the likes of the LSL and MSL would never roll over and be replaced that easily. The only thing now is that maybe some of the major schoolboy clubs would be tempted to enter a national league if it gave them access to having teams in the national underage leagues.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

You say that now but if they don't win the league they don't get champions league football and their money for Europe drops quite a bit and if they don't sell on players like they did last season that's less money. There off field costs went up this season and to compete with Dundalk they'll need all funds focused on the senior team. 

What you need is to get the regional senior leagues into the LOI system as a third tier, in time and if the money within LOI improves you can add a new tier and stick it inbetween regional leagues and first Divison.

So you start off with:

First Divison  (tier 2)

New company is being set up in 2020 to run the league and after its first 3 years of being set up and they increase the money available for league of ireland clubs they can think about adding a fourth tier and set up like this.

First Divison  (tier 2)
Second Divison (tier 3)

The new second Divison (tier 3) can be made of teams who've played in the previous tier 3 (regional leagues) for the first 3 and want to progress up the leagues. Need to walk before you can run and if you tack another ten team league on and it goes bust you're back to square one which will happen if you don't have more money and clubs pull out to go back to their regional senior league.

I think you are over-estimating the level of interest that would be received from the Intermediate Leagues, if you populate Tier 3 with these teams you also have the same problem where all the teams are already in overpopulated LOI cachement areas. It also doesn't do much to serve the problem of players falling away after 19s or the desire of the top teams to have a B side. 

I think the best way to manage this to mandate that every side currently in the underage league has to put in a senior side. On top of this any Junior/Inter side which applies to join will gain access to the national underage leagues (a semi-decent geographical spread should be the target here not Tier 3 full of top DDSl clubs). Finally the opt-in B teams for clubs who wish to join. 

If you got 16 viable teams out of that bunch that would be an incredible start. Split then north/south and have a short season to begin with. Like with the A Championship no reserve side should be allowed promotion. Have a decent play off system with the winner playing the bottom side in the first Division. The long-term aim should be that 1.5 teams are relegated from the first annually. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

So you start off with:

First Divison  (tier 2)

First Divison  (tier 2)
Second Divison (tier 3)

I think you are over-estimating the level of interest that would be received from the Intermediate Leagues, if you populate Tier 3 with these teams you also have the same problem where all the teams are already in overpopulated LOI cachement areas. It also doesn't do much to serve the problem of players falling away after 19s or the desire of the top teams to have a B side. 

I think the best way to manage this to mandate that every side currently in the underage league has to put in a senior side. On top of this any Junior/Inter side which applies to join will gain access to the national underage leagues (a semi-decent geographical spread should be the target here not Tier 3 full of top DDSl clubs). Finally the opt-in B teams for clubs who wish to join. 

If you got 16 viable teams out of that bunch that would be an incredible start. Split then north/south and have a short season to begin with. Like with the A Championship no reserve side should be allowed promotion. Have a decent play off system with the winner playing the bottom side in the first Division. The long-term aim should be that 1.5 teams are relegated from the first annually. 

Which is what it's gonna be and imo I doubt there'll be a 3rd tier anyway .
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 11:59am
I don't think so, they already kicked back a few DDSL clubs from trying to join the underage leagues so they seem to at least be aware that we've reached Dublin saturation, arguably surpassed it. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

I don't think so, they already kicked back a few DDSL clubs from trying to join the underage leagues so they seem to at least be aware that we've reached Dublin saturation, arguably surpassed it. 

Because they only wanted in to the underage leagues. They also refused a clubs from Limerick, Tipperary and Cork from joining the underage leagues and told go partner up with your nearest senior team.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 1:00am
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/new-players-eye-role-in-league-of-ireland-38519140.html

"The next big meeting is planned for October 8, with more discussions on the size of the Premier Division planned.

Representatives of underage teams in Kerry, Cavan/Monaghan, Kildare, Carlow/Kilkenny and Mayo will be invited as there are hopes these areas might be interested in fielding senior teams in the future."

savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:05pm
While I like this idea in principal is it just not taking money away from the underage teams?
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 12:57pm
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:24pm
An Irish football, but non LOI fan, jumping onto a LOI thread for the first time.... I'm impressed with the number of quality players coming up through the ranks with LOI clubs, and Brexit might actually be doing us a favour here. Keeping our best kids at home, playing with LOI clubs, making the breakthrough and looks to be making the league better. So all good!

My post is to do with underage academies. Here's map of the location of all 20 LOI clubs in Ireland. 7 in or around Dublin area, but decent covereage for the rest of the country. Gaps maybe in Kerry, Mayo, Tipperary, Kildare, Carlow/Kilkenny.

I've read all the posts here about having another Div in the LOI and its mooted again today. I cant understand it. I dont see how promotion/relegation helps develop football in this country. Go to the US model, essentially 'franchise' your clubs and they play in 2 divisions, with promotion/relegation from one Div to the other. Establish clubs in LOI clubs in Killarney, Tipperary, Castlebar and Kildare.

Two Divisions of 24 teams. Get Govt funding for academy structures in all clubs and really take advantage of brexit and get a super talented crop of irish kids coming through in a few years time.

Can anyone here tell me the cost of running a LOI club this year?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:30pm
 https://twitter.com/chippie1974/status/1444224867755302913?s=21

If you want to know about LOI finances Chippie is your man. If you have time to search his tweets he has breakdowns for pretty much all clubs. 
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:43pm
ok cool, thanks 9fingers!
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:41pm
With Cabinteley gone, there is a place to be filled, and hopefully not a B team.  Would a second Limerick team actually help football in the city, by creating a bit of a rivalry?  There was a talk a few years ago of Carlow IT looking to do something with a team based ay Kilkenny City's ground wasn't there?  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:44pm
We don't need a B team simple really .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:55pm
Austin Stacks FC in Kilarney, Tuam Tigers or the Awful Offalys are my picks.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:43pm
What would peoples thoughts on an Immigrant based football club, Id imagine if a Brazilian side entered the league it may add a new dimension to the league. Theres over 80,000 brazilians living in Ireland so id imagine they could easily dig up a core support of 3000. The only issue is id imagine it would be another Dublin based club. There are plenty of Turkish clubs around Germany playing at amature level like Türkiyemspor Berlin

time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic