Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone in Italy, 1990?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

About 1990 - for those who were there. How many of the lads you would have went with to Italy don't bother going any longer, home or away ?

Most of the lads I went with don't go any more and only really care about their LOI team.

10 of us went, I see all but four regularly enough. So of the 6, three still go to Ireland games and two only go Rovers now with one just being an occasional rovers fan.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:24pm
This is very good
http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/italia-90-ireland-england-remembered/27591?utm_content=bufferf05c4&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

About 1990 - for those who were there. How many of the lads you would have went with to Italy don't bother going any longer, home or away ?

Most of the lads I went with don't go any more and only really care about their LOI team.

Two of us there for the month.  6 more there for various times.  I'm the only one still going regularly.

1 moved abroad and I've lost touch.  1 moved abroad married with kids and doesn't go.  1 got married and brings the kids to the odd home game.  The other 4 don't go anymore although a couple would go and watch Munster rugby regularly.  Rugby would have been their first sport anyway.

Loads of rows over tickets although the Dutch game was the only one with loads of Irish fans locked out.  Loads went home though because they thought they wouldn't get into the Italy game. 

We went to Brazil v Argentina rather than queue for Genoa tickets although were promised them.  I ended up getting Louis Kilcoyne arrested for selling me tickets below face value when there were dozens of touts charging several multiples of face value. 
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 2:51pm
Of our group (6 or so) that went to 88 and 90, the ones that didn't marry have kids went to the USA.
The last few home matches I have been back for nearly all of the group meet up as they are all based at home. They don't travel so regularly (since Basle, Paris, Stuttgart).

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

CH
Italia 90 was the only time in my life when I ever was / will be a millionaire. Miss the auld Lira.
That queue was one of the most horrible experiences of Italia 90 after the overnight ferry from Palermo the morning after the Dutch match.
Being told the tickets had run out and only top priced ones available
Having to face returning the next day
One friend lost it with Fran Fields
Said lad didn't travel with us down to Rome for the Italy match. Instead hightailed it to Paris to meet the wan he was seeing. The day of the match he was in an Irish bar to watch the match and got talking to one of the barmen. Turned out both were from Sligo, what part are you from, what's your name etc. The barman twigged he knew the lad's younger brother and loudly proclaimed
"You are meant to be in feckin' Rome..."    Ermm

Funny i was on the same ferry , now the group i was hanging with in the campsite decided that the train was the way to go as it would get you there quicker , here they were right i knew i would get a better nights kip to be honest and less hassle . Anyway roll off the boat in the morning head to the ground and saw the long line now didn't look good so had a walk and found the boys at the top of the line big smiles and they said look we have saved your spot for you just jump in , so that was how i ened up behind the goals where the pens were taken Big smileBig smileBig smile Got to love the Dubs sound bunch .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 3:26pm
Kevin Sheedy tweeting mad today as it is the anniversary of his goal against England.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 4:28pm
How many Irish traveled to Italy for that tournament? 

Some great stories, lads driving over and sleeping in cars for the 2 weeks, rounds of bottles of wine, money been sent over, people calling work (or not) for an extra week off.... I was only a young wan and cant even remember the matches but I would give my left nut to have been old enough to go. Back when Ireland was innocent and the world cups were for the fans.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 11 Jun 2015 at 7:43pm

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 4:34pm
How were tickets for that sorted? Arranged in advance for group stage? Bought through FAI? Was there a scramble for tickets or fairly easy to get?
Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 4:36pm
was there as a 17 year old. some of the best nights were when Italy were playing. in the hotel we were in the night would end with the italians singing their anthem followed by a much louder version of ours by us.

moving between the islands involved mad travel especially as we were based on Malta for the first week to cover the England game. was a great trip but bettered by wc 2002 which was pure class until the spain pen shootout
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 4:37pm
I only went to the opening group games (much to my lasting regret, shoulda stayed on).  If I remember rightly, we went through the FAI a few months before we travelled, we booked our own flights/accomodation and didn't go through a travel company package deal.  Dunno what the knockout games ticket scramble was like. 

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 11 Jun 2015 at 4:37pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 5:08pm

Tickets were a nightmare.  The mafia ran the ticketing. 

For Germany we had whatever tickets we wanted well in advance eventhough we had allowed block bookings to lapse for the qualifiers. 

For Italy I had tickets for the England game and the Final with a promise of both games in Palermo to be picked up out there.  BBers did get priority from what I recall. 

Loads of tickets for England.  (many skipped that game due to logistics and fears of trouble)
Small issue for Egypt some missed out
Loads missed Holland
No problem in Genoa.
Anyone who got to Rome got a ticket.  However loads gave up and went home. The FAI didn't think they'd have close to enough.  BBers were cut initially. 

We struggled at some other games.  Got into Argentina v USSR 30 mins after kickoff but otherwise got in to all games.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Same as here then ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Same as here then ?
LOL
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Same as here then ?
LOL

Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 6:24pm
😂😂😂
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:36pm
Tickets sorted in advance for Group games through connections. For Romania, got to Genoa on Saturday and queued for tickets. When the cheap match tickets ran out, I got a ticket/voucher for the next days queue and got a ticket for £30. After our game the Italians played Uruguay which we watched on the big screen in the main piazza.Most of us privately hoped for a Uruguayan win so we'd have a chance of getting a ticket for the QF. When Italy won a bit of panic set in. Still it was a great night dancing in the fountain with the Italian fans even if the price of drink on sale in the kiosks around the piazza went up by the hour. From 4,000 lira to 8,000 in no time for a bottle of wine. I woke up in a park by a bee buzzing around me,my head stuck to the ground and drooling like a baby. All around me irish lads dead to the world, sleeping in the park like the aftermath of a fight scene from Braveheart. When I can round and realised the score I legged to train station to get my knapsack which had everything in it - passport, money, interrail ticket and was retrieved by a tiny little ticket. Then headed to Rome and straight to a campsite where loads of our lads were. One enterprising lad who I think was from Galway went to the World Cup HQ in Rome and enquired about tickets for the match. Somehow they promised him tickets and gave him a desk to make a list the names and passport numbers of irish fans. Word of this got back to the campsite and we all headed down. I remember being one of early ones on the list. On the Friday morning we had to go to Stadio Flaminio for the tickets. There were different priced tickets. I was in the first 100 names on the list and so managed to get one of the £10 tickets. The ticket has a Swedish FA stamp on it and is safely in my attic. The joy on getting the ticket was unfounded and a decent session ensued back in the campsite. The campsites whole summer's stock of drink went in a few days and had to be replenished. The supermarket closed about 8, so we all stocked up with 2 litre bottles of wine. The bar closed about midnight and with last orders and the bottles of wine bought earlier we had enough to keep us going through the night until the supermarket reopened at 7. Crazy days indeed.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 11 Jun 2015 at 10:47pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
rebel 88 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:38pm

3 of us went in a Nissan Datsun Cherry I had at the time.Got ferrys from Genoa to Sardinia,Sardinia to Sicily and back to Genoa.Stayed 1 week in each island.We came off ferry in Genoa,asked a local directions to stadium.Follow my car says he and brought us to the stadium.Sound bloke.9 hours in a line in boiling heat to get tickets for Romania game.No money for Italy game,3 of us broke had to go home.The car kept boiling over and breaking down going up through France,but we made it too the ferry.I scrapped the car when I got home,it was in bits.Best trip of my life.

SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 11:16pm
I went to Italia'90 with my dad who travelled with Postal Celtic. Three great weeks, we stayed in Sardinia, Siciliy, Naples and Rome. We had had the usual hassle for tickets but always got sorted. The Italians were great hosts. We where due to stay for a 3rd week regardless of the Dutch result. With 20 minutes left in that game my dad says to me if we can get a flight home tomorrow will we go and I said ask me that question in 20 minutes. Next thing Quinn scores and needless to say my dad had no intention of going home early after that result.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic