Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone in Italy, 1990?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone in Italy, 1990?
    Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 10:44pm
Looking for anyone who was there who might have a few stories to tell etc

Any takers?
Sponsored Links

GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 10:50pm
Wasn't born
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 11:49pm
I was there, it wasn't bad. Lots of stories, but from what I can recall one of the most retold stories is the story of The Cefalu Wall. I wasn't there that day so I cannot substantiate the veracity of the story but it goes like this. A group of irish fans were staying in the campsite in coastal town of Cefalu outside Palermo and one afternoon they were having a few jars when they noticed an altercation across the road where there was building going on. The barman told them the row was between the bricklayers and the boss and it was over the lack of progress being made on the building of a wall. The boss said they wouldn't be paid unless the wall was finished that day and he went off. The bricklayers got the hump and walked off the job. Among the irish lads were a few builders who for the craic decided that they'd finish the wall. This they duly done. Later that day the Italian brickies and their boss returned and to their utter amazement found that the wall was finished. As I said I wasn't there but I'm sure some of the older lads might recall this story.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 10 Jun 2015 at 11:51pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 11:57pm

That's a class story
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I was there, it wasn't bad. Lots of stories, but from what I can recall one of the most retold stories is the story of The Cefalu Wall. I wasn't there that day so I cannot substantiate the veracity of the story but it goes like this. A group of irish fans were staying in the campsite in coastal town of Cefalu outside Palermo and one afternoon they were having a few jars when they noticed an altercation across the road where there was building going on. The barman told them the row was between the bricklayers and the boss and it was over the lack of progress being made on the building of a wall. The boss said they wouldn't be paid unless the wall was finished that day and he went off. The bricklayers got the hump and walked off the job. Among the irish lads were a few builders who for the craic decided that they'd finish the wall. This they duly done. Later that day the Italian brickies and their boss returned and to their utter amazement found that the wall was finished. As I said I wasn't there but I'm sure some of the older lads might recall this story.
this story is one of the many stories contained in the 'Whats the story' book
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 12:57am
About 55 million I would say. Some of them will be dead now though.

Some of Sham's conquests were there for other historic events, like the march on Rome

Edited by pre Madonna - 11 Jun 2015 at 12:58am
gwhite View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:26am
I was there, aged 15 at the time. Went with Funtrek by land and sea, boat from Dun Laoighre to Holyhead, train to Folkestone, boat to Boulogne in France then train to Paestum in southern Italy. Took 48 hours and I was fit for a bodybag by time we arrived. Arduous trips to both islands then followed. Got charged at in Cagliari by 500 English "fans",women and children got hurt. I had my chronic constipation cured that day and didn't enjoy one second of the game. Got sunstroke the day before the Egypt game,worst 48 hours of my life, puking and shivering during the 0-0 draw. Horrendous. Same trip back to Palermo for the Holland game. Train stopped on tracks by striking Fiat workers for 5 hours, looked like we might miss the game when the train started to move. We were told to wave and salute the workers as we passed otherwise they might not let any more fans trains through. We waved and saluted and called them all sorts and they waved back. Got to our seats as Gullit was scoring. The evening picked up after that. Genoa was a blast and made the three previous games worth it. Couldn't stay for the Italy game. All I remember is spending July and August asleep after that trip, I was exhausted beyond belief.
MariborKev View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MariborKev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:46am
My first trip, me da told us we were going to a wedding!

25 years later and I'm still going
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:49am
Some trip i must say , massive really on so many levels .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 9:28am
I was in Cefalu never saw a wall but some craic was had.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 9:30am
My memories of it here, including a brilliant Paul Kimmage piece after the Dutch game

https://irelandfaneuro2012.wordpress.com/2015/06/11/italia-90-my-memories-of-three-crazy-weeks/
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 9:52am
Sausys mate has a brilliant story about it. Himself and his mate only had x amount of money left and they flipped a coin as to who could stay on after we qualified - he won and the story goes from there. Its brilliant get onto him about it and see if his mate will share it!!!
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 9:55am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

My memories of it here, including a brilliant Paul Kimmage piece after the Dutch game

https://irelandfaneuro2012.wordpress.com/2015/06/11/italia-90-my-memories-of-three-crazy-weeks/

Brilliant gaffer, simply brilliant ClapClapClapClap
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 12:16pm

I was in Cefalu as well but can't verify the wall story. 

Cefalu was an amazing spot.  Party atmosphere watching the other games on the big screen in the square. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I was in Cefalu as well but can't verify the wall story. 

Cefalu was an amazing spot.  Party atmosphere watching the other games on the big screen in the square. 

The Cefalu Wall story could well be "one of them stories" that gather legs over the years....remember the queue for tickets on the sunday afternoon the day before the Romania match in Genoa. We were corralled behind crash barriers in snake like queue of maybe 3-4 deep for what seemed like hours upon hours. It was roasting hot, we were all dehydrated and in somewhat of a disheveled state. At the top of the queue were a group of italian police in their prestine uniforms, designer shades and poser haircuts. The queue was moving very slowly and a lot of the lads were getting very agitated and there was the occasional half hearted push forward. I was towards the front of the queue when there was one of these little forward movements. One of the Italian coppers clattered his baton against the crash barrier to encourage us to move back. He held his baton in the air shaping to hit anyone who moved any further forwards. Now one of the irish lads took exception to this. He was a big gregarious fella who you'd give a wide berth too in normal circumstances. He shouts at the copper "Put that thing down or i'll ram it up your hole". The copper says something to his mate and walks away from the queue.

So we start singing "you're going home to your mammy, home to your mammy"....
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 12:52pm
CH
Italia 90 was the only time in my life when I ever was / will be a millionaire. Miss the auld Lira.
That queue was one of the most horrible experiences of Italia 90 after the overnight ferry from Palermo the morning after the Dutch match.
Being told the tickets had run out and only top priced ones available
Having to face returning the next day
One friend lost it with Fran Fields
Said lad didn't travel with us down to Rome for the Italy match. Instead hightailed it to Paris to meet the wan he was seeing. The day of the match he was in an Irish bar to watch the match and got talking to one of the barmen. Turned out both were from Sligo, what part are you from, what's your name etc. The barman twigged he knew the lad's younger brother and loudly proclaimed
"You are meant to be in feckin' Rome..."    Ermm

eireguide View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireguide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:09pm
More memories here from someone who was at each one of Ireland's games

http://www.eire.guide/2015/05/28/memories-of-italia-90-part-1/ - http://www.eire.guide/2015/05/28/memories-of-italia-90-part-1/
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 1:14pm
About 1990 - for those who were there. How many of the lads you would have went with to Italy don't bother going any longer, home or away ?

Most of the lads I went with don't go any more and only really care about their LOI team.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic