You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone here a Referee ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone here a Referee ?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 5:20pm
I'm considering going into reffing. Has anyone here done it. 
Putting yer self in the firing line but it's a form of participation, great exercise and a few quid tax free in the pocket. 
I like the way they do it in the Midlands League. The same ref could ref 3 or 4 ga.es in a row in same location. 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

I'm considering going into reffing. Has anyone here done it. 
Putting yer self in the firing line but it's a form of participation, great exercise and a few quid tax free in the pocket. 
I like the way they do it in the Midlands League. The same ref could ref 3 or 4 ga.es in a row in same location. 

You might end up in the boot of a Renault Megane or tied to a tree in Sixmilebridge
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 7:03pm
Make sure you have a thick skin would be my advice. Unbelievable some of the abuse I've seen fired at refs down the years in games that are, ultimately, meaningless. I often think they must be hard up to take that sh*te for the sake of a few quid. Maybe they just don't care and can brush it right off, but it wouldn't be for me.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 7:09pm
Well done and best of luck chief. Tough gig but lots of positives

Best refs I have ever dealt with are straight talking,  non confrontational.  Always explain your decision and that you can only give what you see. Takes the wind out of any arguing! 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:45am
Did schoolboy reffing for a bit while I was in college. Most of the players and managers were grand but you get the odd dope. Senior reffing would be a tough one though.

Be approachable and willing to explain decisions to players. The worst refs you meet as a player are ones who won’t talk to you.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic