You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone driving direct from ireland to poland?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone driving direct from ireland to poland?
    Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 11:20am
Hi, 

First time driving from Ireland to one of the major competitions. looking around but cant find info on many people driving direct from Ireland to Poznań. Looking to find out the route in which people are thinking of taking? the est cost and any additional advice that a first timer wouldn't have thought on but would need to know!

Thanks, 

Dec
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 11:36am
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 12:05pm
Petrol in France and Germany very expensive
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 12:17pm
Best route IMO is Dublin Holyhead ferry, drive to hull, overnight ferry to Rotterdam then drive on from there, probably about a 12 hour drive to Poznan.

Ferry return with camper and 4 passengers is €750 give or take in total for both.

Hope that helps
London Jackeen View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Jackeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 1:17pm
Sounds scandalous that price though 9 fingers...! I'm en route via the chunnel to Calais (£82 return) for car, luckily mines a galaxy ( minicab anybody ? ) and can accomodate 6 comfortably.
4 Star hotel in Berling £111.70 for 4 people. Fancamp oitside Poznan €92 for 4 people for two nights...Only booked all that today. Ok Petrol costs ramp it up but €750's a bit much !!

Diego Duffy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diego Duffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 1:54pm
8hr drive from Rotterdam to Poznan, over night stay in Berlin would be no harm though.
Ireland 4 Poland and Ukraine 2012 :D
St.Pauli Reloaded 2 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Pauli Reloaded 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Diego Duffy Diego Duffy wrote:

8hr drive from Rotterdam to Poznan, over night stay in Berlin would be no harm though.
Yeh this is the PITSTOP on the wayClap
In Martin and Roy we Trust !
The Vodka Yeti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Vodka Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:24pm
Trust me, the slowest part of your journey will be when you cross the Polish border and use the Polish roads LOL

The country only has two partly completed motorways (autostrada), the A4 from Krakow west to the German border is often a joke, it's a toll road, but because they're constantly doing roadworks on it, you pay money and then you slow down! Confused

Map key, green route is completed, red section still being built

Half of the A2 opened last week runing west from Lodz to the German border

The Vodka Yeti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Vodka Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:32pm
As for driving from Dublin to Poznan, it's 1,933 km, this is the route recommended by the Della Trucking site

zoom in for closer detail.

manbearpig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manbearpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:08pm
I'm driving from Edinburgh and was planning on going via Hull-Rotterdam as i thought £450 was decent for a return. You can get a return from Dover-Calais for £85 quid though. It depends on how many drivers you have, how comfortable you want the journey to be and how long you can bare to sit in a cramped car for!
The Hull-Rotterdam ferry takes 12 hours and saves a lot of hours for me driving down through england so i think i'll probably go with that. If you have a few people insured on the car and you are all about saving cash then i reckon dover-calais would be a good shout although its probably not that big a deal for you to go to dover instead of Hull, both are a bit of a trek!
Only1RichieDunne View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Only1RichieDunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:22pm
hey.  we are going via liverpool , calais , dortmund, berlin. 17 hour drive from liverpool
Only1RichieDunne View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Only1RichieDunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:23pm
whats the name of the fan camp in poznan mate?
Twice_Daly View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twice_Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Declan1966 Declan1966 wrote:

Hi, 

First time driving from Ireland to one of the major competitions. looking around but cant find info on many people driving direct from Ireland to Poznań. Looking to find out the route in which people are thinking of taking? the est cost and any additional advice that a first timer wouldn't have thought on but would need to know!

im sailing rosslare-cherbourg driving to berlin then poznan.
use google maps Thumbs Up very helpful for directions, route planning and estimating fuel cost.
any advice would depend on what you are driving and how much room you have to bring stuff (bring camping gear, and search google for a festival survival checklist, most things on that list will apply to travelling).

PM me there if you want advice on getting the ferry or anything else you're wondering about, travelled around the continent a few times so might be some help.
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO
London Jackeen View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Jackeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:37am
This is the one...

I wasnt overly convinced in light of recent "scams" etc but I spoke to them direct and its legit. they've had hundreds of bookings from Ireland in the last few days.

Its a few K's outside the City centre but hey ho !

yellow View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 4:11am
Doing the same route mate except we're flying from Dublin to London and then taking le tunnel to Calais. Could have only 4-5 driving in us on the Thursday night so Dortmund is looking like the ideal place to stop.
Meehall1888 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meehall1888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 5:42am
I'm running a bus out of manchester if you get stuck mate, we're taking numbers now :)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:02am
LJackeen is that Dover Calais price for car and 4 passengers? I'll be in a camper so would be a little more expensive.

Also the ferry from hull Rotterdam Was great craic last time and also would prob save you minimum 120€ diesel
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:09am
Surely its far far cheaper to fly??
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic