You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 133>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:06pm
Yes, or if the car is a UK model - you can get that check for as little as £8. Just shows you the markup cartell.ie and motorcheck.ie make.

I'd never buy any car without getting a mechanic to look at it first.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:26am
2015 Octavia VRS - drove about 10 miles and the engine management light came on telling me to stop the car as it was over heating. The temperature gauge was at 130 degrees. Stopped the car, opened the engine, no heat and everything looked ok.

Turned the engine back on, temperature gauge dropped to 90 degrees and stayed at that until I got to work.

Water pump issue? if so what is the cost.

Edited by horsebox - 16 May 2019 at 9:33am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 12:36am
Buying a 2nd hand car privately this weekend.
Did the Cartell check today and it said the car tax hasn’t been paid since end May 2019.
Is it up to the seller to sell it with up to date tax?

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:42am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Did the Cartell check today and it said the car tax hasn’t been paid since end May 2019.

When you purchase the vehicle you’ll be liable for tax from the date of sale only
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

When you purchase the vehicle you’ll be liable for tax from the date of sale only

Thanks👍
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:15am
Just back from a failed NCT with an 08 A3. Failed on a frayed/cut CV boot an a shock absorber (presume just the one) showing signs of leakage or malfunction. 

Anyone any idea what they'd cost to repair / is it even worth doing?
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:49am
Not sure on cost, might be cheaper if you source your own parts, but you have to do both sides, I'm afraid.
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 11:15am
Set of shock absorbers & new CV boot should cost ya around 400 all in.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:37pm
Any ballpark figure about how much it costs to replace a broken water pump, incl labour etc?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 5:17pm
Depends on the car.

I got mine done recently on Octavia VRS at a cost of 390e including the timing belt.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:24pm
Volvo. When ye turn off the car,it still sounds like the engine is still on. Sounds like a fan is cooling it down. What’s the craic with this? Can happen when just after doing a short spin as well
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Volvo. When ye turn off the car,it still sounds like the engine is still on. Sounds like a fan is cooling it down. What’s the craic with this? Can happen when just after doing a short spin as well

Same with my Audi. Some short spins it would happen then next few it wouldn’t and same applies for longer hauls.

Was told it’s perfectly normal Geek
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:31pm
Its the fan..normal as fook

Edited by Sham157 - 08 Oct 2019 at 10:31pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:41pm
that’s a roger 10-4Thumbs UpThumbs Up
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:54pm

DPF regeneration if its a diesel. Diesel Particulate Filter is a yoke that basically traps excess soot from exhaust gases, so modern cars are programmed to heat the exhaust temperature very high every so often to burn off the trapped particles. 

They are programmed to start this process automatically, but as clever as all that is, the car doesn't know you are only going on a short journey, so the process continues after you stop the car, while the fan runs on to cool the engine from the high temperatures. If yer on a longer journey, the process can take place & be finished with before you finish the journey, so ya won't even know it happened. 

*Associated problem of ''burning smell'' sometimes accompanies the fan running on- this is the smell of the particles being burnt off, and yer car isn't on fire. Usually. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:36am

DPF regeneration I'd say.

The instructions in your car manual will say to drive the car at a constant speed in a low gear with high rev count, this will heat the DFP to burn off the excess soot.

*Deise beat me to it.

Edited by horsebox - 09 Oct 2019 at 8:38am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:31am
sound lads
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:31am
Last UK car I got had Spedo in KMs & Miles on the Dash, got another on Friday, this one only has Miles, is it possible to get it converted? And if so what kind of money does it cost?
Getting old and intolerant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 133>
  Share Topic