You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 133>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 2:59pm
Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, of buying from the UK?

The car I had my eye on up in Belfast was bought by someone else the day I was on my way up to see it Cry so I'm now considering widening the net to mainland UK as well. 

Should be fairly straightforward, right? 

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:15pm
Were you going to save much money buying in the occupied 6?

Any time I've looked at buying there and taking into the consideration the VRT it wasn't worth my while.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:28pm
The newer I went, the more I'd be saving, so it's kind of 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other regarding savings. 

It's really becoming a question of them taking better care of their vehicles up there and generally having less mileage from what I can see. Plus, there seems to be a better selection as well what with angry nordy's buying the odd petrol version of the model I want, not almost entirely diesel like down here.
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:31pm
Mainland UK is cheaper than NI, albeit you will have the ferry cost to bring it back.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:36pm
Check out Arnold Clarke uk car sales . Try find cars closer to Liverpool/Wales as they are easy and quicker to get back . Most Uk cars have a higher spec than our cars here . Also Uk cars seem to have less mileage on them compared to here . My O/H car was 7-8k cheaper in the Uk than here and even if the VRT is paid then you will still save ( my case 5k) . Wider range of cars to choose from
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:48pm
Was mentioned on the radio yesterday that the sales of new cars has slowed down in the first half of this year but that imports from the UK has risen something like 40%. Must be lots of savings to be had due to Brexit.
The dark side.. And the light
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:50pm
Buy from across the water, better selection and much better value.

Buy from South of Manchester, the further the better. The more northerly you go the more the roads are salted so more rust/seized brakes/ bogey wheel bearings to contend with

Don't buy privately. Know what paperwork you'll need when you're home, anything missing will take time to sort, time = penalties

Know what you're looking at or get someone who does to come with you. It'll be an expensive mistake if you bring over a dud

Consider a hybrid, Lexus, Toyota, Honda all offer hybrid models and VRT rates are cheaper on them

http://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/index.aspx
Use this website to calculate approximate VRT

Edited by 9fingers - 04 Jul 2017 at 4:00pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 4:36pm
Mainland UK... Some proper PUL speak there to describe an island...

Anyway, lad in work bought one in England a few months back and is delighted. He did say one day that he was advised to buy down saath as the roads up in the North of England are heavily salted which can affect the underbody of the car.

Oops, justbread 9fs post above and hes already mentioned the salt issue

Edited by Sham157 - 04 Jul 2017 at 4:38pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 12:05pm
My 2011 A3 was recalled for an emissions yokey last week and received a free health check.

In the form i was told i may need a new timing belt. The car only has 53k kms on it. 9f, Deise, thoughts?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

My 2011 A3 was recalled for an emissions yokey last week and received a free health check.

In the form i was told i may need a new timing belt. The car only has 53k kms on it. 9f, Deise, thoughts?

What engine?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

What engine?

1.6 TDI 9F
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:42pm

What engine?

1.6 TDI 9F

Belt replacement interval is 5years or 120k kms so yeah yours would be due
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:49pm

What engine?

1.6 TDI 9F

Thought it only related to kms driven not age of the car.

Any idea on rough price?

Cheers 9F. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:53pm
I use a lad on the Malahide Road called David Brennan Motors.

Always gave me good prices.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:29am

What engine?

1.6 TDI 9F

Any idea on rough price?

Cheers 9F. 

9F spot on as usual, just 2 things, some while back, you mentioned you had a possible coolant leak, did that turn out to be the case ??  If that leak was in the water pump and the water pump was replaced at that point, the timing belt should ideally have been done with it, as they are essentially associated jobs with an similar labour time. A main dealer would nearly always do both jobs together. But usually that would be marked somewhere on the car, some mechanics would write it in Tippex on the engine cover as well as the service book, in case the book ever got lost, so I'm guessing the leak had another source or it wasn't a leak. 

The other thing is the manufacturer's advice as 9F pointed out, is to change the belt & water pump every 5 years regardless of mileage, the good news for you is that they are not known for breaking in Audi/VWs, so there is no particular need to rush & get it done just yet. 9F would probably be familiar with the old Alfa 147 from back in the day, the interval on those was 60k, nearly every single one of them went around the 40k mark, causing people a lot of expense and doing little for that brand's already poor reputation for reliability, but the VW/Audi is safe to go a good bit over it generally, whether in mileage or time. 

Having said that, no point coming back here if your one turns out to be the one that does expire before it should, but it would be unusual. Prices, around here, a main dealer would charge € 429 or so, obviously you will get it done cheaper elsewhere, if yer getting quotes, a reputable fella will also include the water pump replacement, anyone who tells you it doesn't need to be done just for the sake of giving a cheaper quote isn't familiar with an A3/Golf and should be avoided. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 7:06am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

What engine?

1.6 TDI 9F

Any idea on rough price?

Cheers 9F. 

9F spot on as usual, just 2 things, some while back, you mentioned you had a possible coolant leak, did that turn out to be the case ??  If that leak was in the water pump and the water pump was replaced at that point, the timing belt should ideally have been done with it, as they are essentially associated jobs with an similar labour time. A main dealer would nearly always do both jobs together. But usually that would be marked somewhere on the car, some mechanics would write it in Tippex on the engine cover as well as the service book, in case the book ever got lost, so I'm guessing the leak had another source or it wasn't a leak. 

The other thing is the manufacturer's advice as 9F pointed out, is to change the belt & water pump every 5 years regardless of mileage, the good news for you is that they are not known for breaking in Audi/VWs, so there is no particular need to rush & get it done just yet. 9F would probably be familiar with the old Alfa 147 from back in the day, the interval on those was 60k, nearly every single one of them went around the 40k mark, causing people a lot of expense and doing little for that brand's already poor reputation for reliability, but the VW/Audi is safe to go a good bit over it generally, whether in mileage or time. 

Having said that, no point coming back here if your one turns out to be the one that does expire before it should, but it would be unusual. Prices, around here, a main dealer would charge € 429 or so, obviously you will get it done cheaper elsewhere, if yer getting quotes, a reputable fella will also include the water pump replacement, anyone who tells you it doesn't need to be done just for the sake of giving a cheaper quote isn't familiar with an A3/Golf and should be avoided. 

Originally the the interval was 4years or 100k but VW pushed that out to 120k/5yr but I have heard of water pumps not lasting the pace.
As Deise says prepare to pay €400 but I reckon shopping around you'll come in cheaper
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 2:41pm
Cheers lads as always.

No Deise, I had the dealership look over it and there was no issue. All was fine. 

Audi North Dublin have November listed for my timing belt change. If I take them up on the offer. 

Just another thing and probably miles off but I have a 12 month warranty with Audi (cost 250 in additional when i bought it)... hardly covers my timing belt? Probably more electrical stuff? I'll try dig out the small print and examine. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:23pm

Cheers lads as always.

No Deise, I had the dealership look over it and there was no issue. All was fine. 

Audi North Dublin have November listed for my timing belt change. If I take them up on the offer. 

Just another thing and probably miles off but I have a 12 month warranty with Audi (cost 250 in additional when i bought it)... hardly covers my timing belt? Probably more electrical stuff? I'll try dig out the small print and examine. 

A timing belt won't be covered under warranty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 133>
  Share Topic