You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 133>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Got 4 new tyres before Xmas. Got the mechanic to have a quick look over the car at the weekend ahead of the NCT and he said the 2 rear tyres are near the wire on the inside of both. Going to ring the tyre crowd later but could there be anything wrong with the car that's causing it? Its driving fine and he couldn't see anything

your wheel alignment is off, it'll cost about 50€ for 4 wheel alignment.
but before you do that You'll need to get the rear suspension checked as well to find the cause of the misalignment
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:10pm

Got 4 new tyres before Xmas. Got the mechanic to have a quick look over the car at the weekend ahead of the NCT and he said the 2 rear tyres are near the wire on the inside of both. Going to ring the tyre crowd later but could there be anything wrong with the car that's causing it? Its driving fine and he couldn't see anything

LOLLOL. That's for 9F, Croftman, not you. He will know what I'm laughing at. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

No bother
Bringing it down later for them to look at. Should they not have aligned them or even offered to have done it when I got the 4 new ones put on given what not doing it has now caused?
Some people just deserve a slap
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 6:40pm

Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Have the Nct on weds.Just had a read of what to do to prepare the car.One of the things is to remove hubcaps if the wheel nuts are not showing. I took them off and am missing a nut.The thread is f**ked and i assume this problem was with the car when i bought it.No quick fix here me thinks....if i dont take off the hub caps and just wing it have i any chance of passing or should I just cancel test ( i think i know the answer )

if that's the only thing wrong with it it'll be a free visual retest so no point cancelling the test

Cheers as always 9f.....a great man!

I got the dates mixed up...test was this morning fair play to them...they just rescheduled and waived any charges
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:17am

No bother
Bringing it down later for them to look at. Should they not have aligned them or even offered to have done it when I got the 4 new ones put on given what not doing it has now caused?
Trackings off they said. Asked should that not have been done/copped when the new tyres went on in December. They said it was obviously ok back then and tyres that came off weren't worn enough to warrant doing it. Came on & wore the tyres very quickly if that's the case. I cant prove otherwise I suppose so basically have to go and get it tracked and 2 new tyres again. In fairness they did offer a few bob off doing it but seriously pissed over it
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:41am

No bother

Trackings off they said. Asked should that not have been done/copped when the new tyres went on in December. They said it was obviously ok back then and tyres that came off weren't worn enough to warrant doing it. Came on & wore the tyres very quickly if that's the case. I cant prove otherwise I suppose so basically have to go and get it tracked and 2 new tyres again. In fairness they did offer a few bob off doing it but seriously pissed over it

Most decent places will advise you when to get the vehicle tracked, my own personal advice would be anytime you're replacing 2 or more tyres to get it done.

A lot of the tyre places wouldn't have qualified staff tho, just lads trained to fit tyres, so I wouldn't expect anything off them.

Offering you discount is about as good a result as you could've achieved here
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:49am

No bother

Most decent places will advise you when to get the vehicle tracked, my own personal advice would be anytime you're replacing 2 or more tyres to get it done.

A lot of the tyre places wouldn't have qualified staff tho, just lads trained to fit tyres, so I wouldn't expect anything off them.

Unfortunately so 9F so may just go with it
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:50am

No bother

Unfortunately so 9F, may just run with it Cry
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 9:04pm
Anyone know what year qualifies for vintage cars ? 30 years i assumed but someone said 25 ?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 11:32pm
It depends on for what purposes, there have been changes to this whole area recently, maybe 9F will know more than me. As far as I know;

For insurance purposes anything 20 years old or older is classed as vintage but this varies depending on the insurance company, some will class anything over 10 years old as vintage while others have their own cut off points, think 20-25 years is common. 

For the vintage tax of €56 a year, the car must be 30 years old. 

For the NCT, there was a time when your car reached 30, it was exempt from the NCT ,this isn't the case any more. They have selected an arbitrary cut off point of 1980, anything registered in 1979 or before is NCT exempt, anything registered in 1980 or after that has to have an NCT once a year, same as any car over 10 years old. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:01am

It depends on for what purposes, there have been changes to this whole area recently, maybe 9F will know more than me. As far as I know;

For insurance purposes anything 20 years old or older is classed as vintage but this varies depending on the insurance company, some will class anything over 10 years old as vintage while others have their own cut off points, think 20-25 years is common. 

For the vintage tax of €56 a year, the car must be 30 years old. 

For the NCT, there was a time when your car reached 30, it was exempt from the NCT ,this isn't the case any more. They have selected an arbitrary cut off point of 1980, anything registered in 1979 or before is NCT exempt, anything registered in 1980 or after that has to have an NCT once a year, same as any car over 10 years old. 

Cheers Deise , it's the NCT thing that had us at an odds end . 30 year old is the vintage year for the tax exemption but it's 1980 or older for NCT exemption as you have said . Thanks
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 8:53am
It is pre 1980 for the NCT but a lot of insurers will make the NCT a condition of your policy, hence a large percentage of pre 80 cars still needing tests.
So don't take anything for granted, get on to your insurers to be safe
The tax situation makes more sense, being a rolling 30 years
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:01am
Question on speeding.

Just been caught (again) speeding on the N3. What level of margin do they give you? in a 120km zone, what speed will they let you away with?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Question on speeding.

Just been caught (again) speeding on the N3. What level of margin do they give you? in a 120km zone, what speed will they let you away with?

At 120 they'd generally allow up to 130, but no more than that. At lower speeds they try to allow 10% but that isn't set in stone, and is completely up to the guard or what the van is set to.
Most speedos on cars are reading slightly higher than actual road speed, so you must've been fairly hammering it
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:33pm
I'm thinking I was doing approx 128 and going de accelerating.

Last thing I need is another 3 points.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I'm thinking I was doing approx 128 and going de accelerating.

Last thing I need is another 3 points.

What speed does the notice say you were doing? Was it the guards or the private crowd?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 1:22pm
Speed van on the side of the road.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 133>
  Share Topic