You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 133>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Car failed the NCT yesterday due to high emissions. Now I know nothing about cars except how to drive one.
It failed on this 2 years ago and I got some type of fluid to put in with the petrol to clean it out, but this only brought out a higher level and failed the test again. Is the only way of fixing it by bringing it to a garage? Just don't want to pay another €200.

Another thing it failed on, who would have thought, but on reg plates at the very top is the county in Irish. Well this has faded and they also failed me on that too, madness.

How did you end up passing 2 years ago if it failed on emissions then?
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm

Car failed the NCT yesterday due to high emissions. Now I know nothing about cars except how to drive one.
It failed on this 2 years ago and I got some type of fluid to put in with the petrol to clean it out, but this only brought out a higher level and failed the test again. Is the only way of fixing it by bringing it to a garage? Just don't want to pay another €200.

Another thing it failed on, who would have thought, but on reg plates at the very top is the county in Irish. Well this has faded and they also failed me on that too, madness.

Emmissions got me before. After you put that fluid in the tank, make sure you take the car for a good 20 minute burn on the M50 before the test. Try a thin tip permanent marker for the county name and carefully go over it rather than pay for new plates. They shouldn't be able to reject it if its visible and permanent. Be interesting to know if that works...LOL
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:14pm
Me 162-D is making a squeeling noise when reversing slowly. Hardly the breaks already would it be (only done 8k so far)?

Or what else could it be a sign of?

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

How did you end up passing 2 years ago if it failed on emissions then?

It eventually passed by bringing it to a garage. I'm trying to get it passed without having to spend €200 again.
The dark side.. And the light
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:48pm
Most test centres supply the county names FOC, the must've been out of the them at the time. A sharpie pen will do fine, its just a box ticking exercise from the RSA for the inspectors.

If you'd a problem with emmisions 2 years ago and did nothing naturally the problem will remain, think of a leaking tap, don't fix it & it'll get worse. Sadly all cars need maintenance, in regards to emissions generally if a car fails it'll be running less efficiently and therefore using more fuel so the €200 now will probably save you long term.

The benefits of fuel additives are there but they won't make huge differences if there is an existing problem

Edited by 9fingers - 31 Mar 2017 at 5:49pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Me 162-D is making a squeeling noise when reversing slowly. Hardly the breaks already would it be (only done 8k so far)?

Probably just a brake dust build up on the pads, does it sound like it's coming from the front or rear?
If rear lift the handbrake slightly when reversing slowly. Or wash car with a powerhose and give the brakes a good going over
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Probably just a brake dust build up on the pads, does it sound like it's coming from the front or rear?
If rear lift the handbrake slightly when reversing slowly. Or wash car with a powerhose and give the brakes a good going over

Yeah it's the rear. I have an electric handbrake so not sure if the handbreak thing wil work but I'll give the powerhose a blast in the morning. Cheers!

Edited by t_rAndy - 31 Mar 2017 at 8:40pm
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 10:44am
New clutch cost me €770 in the end with my local mechanic. Didn't need a new flywheel.
I had phoned a clutch place in Walkinstown and they quoted €750.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:00am
That's much better than the original quote anyway!

For the Emissions at the NCT, do what was said above and really redden the engine before you bring it in. I left mine running outside the NCT Centre one time as I didn't want it going cold! Yer man gave me a sly grin when I told him where the keys were, he knew well. Passed anyway so was worth it Smile
Some people just deserve a slap
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:49pm
Lads car failed nct , rear suspension near side anti roll and links worn , exhaust smoke and co/hc oil leak near side front any idea on cost to fix above ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Lads car failed nct , rear suspension near side anti roll and links worn , exhaust smoke and co/hc oil leak near side front any idea on cost to fix above ?

So an anti roll bar link and an oil leak.
The link will be around €15 plus fitting, the oil leak it'd be impossible to tell what's leaking without seeing the car

Edited by 9fingers - 19 Apr 2017 at 2:08pm
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:17pm
Thanks 9f he said there was a continuos leak and he did not know if it was oil or brake fluid , I have had a look under and no such thing that I can see we did get the car washed just before and I am wondering was it just water lying somewhere and started dripping when he hoisted it up, I will pop up to a mechanic and see what he makes of it, are links and the like universal as the missus car is an Honda stream import ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:06pm
There's plenty of Streams on the road so parts should be readily available
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 7:21pm
Anyone ever ship a vechile from the US of A back to Ireland ? Looking at getting something shipped from East Coast over to Dublin .
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Anyone ever ship a vechile from the US of A back to Ireland ? Looking at getting something shipped from East Coast over to Dublin .

Out of interest what is it?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:59pm
Got 4 new tyres before Xmas. Got the mechanic to have a quick look over the car at the weekend ahead of the NCT and he said the 2 rear tyres are near the wire on the inside of both. Going to ring the tyre crowd later but could there be anything wrong with the car that's causing it? Its driving fine and he couldn't see anything
Some people just deserve a slap
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:29pm
Have the Nct on weds.Just had a read of what to do to prepare the car.One of the things is to remove hubcaps if the wheel nuts are not showing. I took them off and am missing a nut.The thread is f**ked and i assume this problem was with the car when i bought it.No quick fix here me thinks....if i dont take off the hub caps and just wing it have i any chance of passing or should I just cancel test ( i think i know the answer )
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Have the Nct on weds.Just had a read of what to do to prepare the car.One of the things is to remove hubcaps if the wheel nuts are not showing. I took them off and am missing a nut.The thread is f**ked and i assume this problem was with the car when i bought it.No quick fix here me thinks....if i dont take off the hub caps and just wing it have i any chance of passing or should I just cancel test ( i think i know the answer )

if that's the only thing wrong with it it'll be a free visual retest so no point cancelling the test
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 133>
  Share Topic