You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 133>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:49am
Mechanic that I use can get the car thru the NCT after a service now for an extra €50. It’s a legit pass too, anyone else hear of this?
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:49am
I had a mechanic do the retest for me recently, I did not know it was possible until he offered. I think the mechanic/garage might need to be certified in some way to be able to do it. Without going into much detail the nct really is a pile of crap.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

I had a mechanic do the retest for me recently, I did not know it was possible until he offered. I think the mechanic/garage might need to be certified in some way to be able to do it. Without going into much detail the nct really is a pile of crap.
What? 
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:08am
I think in the UK a garage can do the MOT test and you get can a cert that the car has passed AFAIK. Not sure you can do it here, all you would have to do is slip whoever another couple of bob and they pass you even though the car might not be roadworthy.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Mechanic that I use can get the car thru the NCT after a service now for an extra €50. It’s a legit pass too, anyone else hear of this?

Your mechanic is just bringing your car up as an extra and it goes through as normal. 
The head of applus (who run the nct) was in front of the Oireachtas transport committee yesterday, in his figures he said there’s 3500 no shows around the country in a normal week, yet the centres have a productivity average of 101% “Extras” or short notice bookings are what covers the short fall from no shows. There’s nothing out of the ordinary with it
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:14am
Hope you asked for the tenner in the hand to get yourself a pint 9f
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:16am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Hope you asked for the tenner in the hand to get yourself a pint 9f
LOL 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:35am
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

I think in the UK a garage can do the MOT test and you get can a cert that the car has passed AFAIK. Not sure you can do it here, all you would have to do is slip whoever another couple of bob and they pass you even though the car might not be roadworthy.
Yeah the MOT service operates like that. Same as our commercial testing, the VTN network and having worked in that system a long time ago it’s far more open to corruption than the nct. When the workshop was quiet there was an awful lot more fails I can tell ya. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:36am

Do you mean the mechanic himself is doing the NCT???
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:54am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

What? 
What do you not understand about my post?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:57am

What? 
What do you not understand about my post?
Most of it to be honest. 
Are you implying your mechanic issued you with some sort of cert himself or what? 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:18am
No the mechanic offered to get my cars retest fastracked for me and do the nct himself after fixing it, I told him that I did not realise that was possible, he then mentioned something about being a certified garage and that made it possible. He then fixed the car and drove it himself to the nct centre, did the retest and passed, phoned me and told me the car was ready. The official new nct cert was sitting on the passenger seat when I picked the car up. Very handy.
I had a very wierd tester attack my car with a hammer on the initial test but thats a story for another day.
I think the overall idea of the nct is good but allowing a private company to do the tests just ruins it.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:22am

No the mechanic offered to get my cars retest fastracked for me and do the nct himself after fixing it, I told him that I did not realise that was possible, he then mentioned something about being a certified garage and that made it possible. He then fixed the car and drove it himself to the nct centre, did the retest and passed, phoned me and told me the car was ready. The official new nct cert was sitting on the passenger seat when I picked the car up. Very handy.
I had a very wierd tester attack my car with a hammer on the initial test but thats a story for another day.
I think the overall idea of the nct is good but allowing a private company to do the tests just ruins it.
Ah right. Yeah it happens all the time as I said above. 
And you’re right it should be state run, €60m profit sent to Spain from 2010-2020 

Edited by 9fingers - 02 Feb 2023 at 9:23am
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 6:51am

Your mechanic is just bringing your car up as an extra and it goes through as normal.

Feck that. I’m not paying a mechanic‘s Labour rate for him to drive my car to the centre and sit and read the paper while it is being tested. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:25am
Any recommendations 9f or anyone on someone reliable to have a look at my Air Con? Low pressure pipe/hose from the condenser looks like it has taken a hit off a stone or something and sprung a leak.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Any recommendations 9f or anyone on someone reliable to have a look at my Air Con? Low pressure pipe/hose from the condenser looks like it has taken a hit off a stone or something and sprung a leak.
Not really to be honest, you’d be looking at replacement pipes which more than likely would be original parts only. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Not really to be honest, you’d be looking at replacement pipes which more than likely would be original parts only. 
Cheers Thumbs Up
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 8:02pm
Have the NCT next week and depending on the result may opt to buy a new car.

Was thinking of a 2012-2016 Volvo S60 purely from a  price point of view but ideally want want newer

or

BMW 5 Series

Dont really want to spend over 13,000 and had a look on Done Deal and Carzone but cars seem to be high mileage for high prices.

Want something reliable.  Like the BMW but would be afraid some boy racer or whoever would have driven it into the ground previously.
Like the Volvo S60 but looked it up and some website reckoned the 2012-2016 models were a bit dodgy for problems and reliability.  Not sure how true that is though.

Any recommendations?

p.s. I usually buy the car outright on the day but was wondering if hire purchase or leasing is a decent way to go? 

Edited by Trap junior - 12 Feb 2023 at 8:04pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 133>
  Share Topic