You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 133>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

ERG valve needs replacing on my Audi. Was quoted 700-800. That right lads? 

Seems expensive, had it done on my old BMW before for around €400 though with current prices and shortages it could very well be the going rate.

Was told its a tricky job. Full days work etc. etc. 

Just get someone to code/map it out instead. Better for the engine and your wallet.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Seems expensive, had it done on my old BMW before for around €400 though with current prices and shortages it could very well be the going rate.

Just get someone to code/map it out instead. Better for the engine and your wallet.

In English?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:12pm
Na. The Spanish coding is way better Thumbs Up
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 10:08pm

In English?

Some people who fix cars can connect a laptop to the engine control unit of your car and modify the part of the software that looks after the ERG. They can do this too with the DPF. I'm not sure if modifying either would be picked up by the NCT. I know someone who got it done on the DPF on a Ford transit after multiple problems with it and it has passed the DOE every time since. 
Let Christy Take It.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 10:50pm
The only NCT check on the DPF is a physical one, the make sure it hasn’t been cut & welded. Anything else is fine once no engine management lights are brought on 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 12:03am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

The only NCT check on the DPF is a physical one, the make sure it hasn’t been cut & welded. Anything else is fine once no engine management lights are brought on 

Good to know but my auld hiace has none of that new fangled gear. 270,000 miles and I'm only breaking it in. 
Let Christy Take It.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

Good to know but my auld hiace has none of that new fangled gear. 270,000 miles and I'm only breaking it in. 

There was a time not too long ago when 80% of vehicles on our roads were hiaces, a fair few lite aces too.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

There was a time not too long ago when 80% of vehicles on our roads were hiaces, a fair few lite aces too.

A fella I know is doing up a 1990 liteace at the moment. There's a lot of doing up in it but he says that they are like hens teeth these days so it's worth it. He's having a tough time getting any parts bar the odd bit here or there. If anyone knows where you might get some bits or any liteace that is parked up anywhere give me a shout. 
Let Christy Take It.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:48pm

A fella I know is doing up a 1990 liteace at the moment. There's a lot of doing up in it but he says that they are like hens teeth these days so it's worth it. He's having a tough time getting any parts bar the odd bit here or there. If anyone knows where you might get some bits or any liteace that is parked up anywhere give me a shout. 

unless they were kept in a shed there wouldn't much left of them. the father had a number of hiace's and vanettes from that era...rust was their biggest enemy.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 10:53pm

But what damage is it doing to the car ignoring it? The warning light seems to come on and disappear 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 12:04am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

unless they were kept in a shed there wouldn't much left of them. the father had a number of hiace's and vanettes from that era...rust was their biggest enemy.

Yeah. The one he is doing up was in a shed for the last 13 or 14 years but was still rough enough when he got it about 6 months ago. I saw one in Crete in August, it looked like the exact same model and it was fairly battered but not rusted all over. The DOE in Greece probably isn't as strict as our one, not judging by some of the cars I have hired there over the years. 
Let Christy Take It.
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 4:52pm
The Liteace equivalent nowadays, the Proace, is a rebadged Peugeot. It’s an absolute disgrace. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 6:14pm

But what damage is it doing to the car ignoring it? The warning light seems to come on and disappear 
DPF removal does feck all to car, but it ain’t good to the environment & to us. Diesel fumes are actually carcinogenic, the particulate filter is there to clean up the sh*te diesels emit. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

The Liteace equivalent nowadays, the Proace, is a rebadged Peugeot. It’s an absolute disgrace. 

I was working in Pfizer in Cork about 6 or 7 years ago and one of the local lads working there had an 80 or 81 hiace in on the job. A fella asked him what mileage was on it and he said 970,000 miles. Then he said that it was the 2nd time around the clock so nearly 2 million miles. There's no way any proace will ever see anything like that. The engines were built like tanks, bulletproof.

There has been some amount of hiaces shipped from Ireland to Africa over the last few years. They are converting them into minibuses over there.
Let Christy Take It.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 10:37am

In English?

Some people who fix cars can connect a laptop to the engine control unit of your car and modify the part of the software that looks after the ERG. They can do this too with the DPF. I'm not sure if modifying either would be picked up by the NCT. I know someone who got it done on the DPF on a Ford transit after multiple problems with it and it has passed the DOE every time since. 

You're not allowed physically mess with emission related parts of the car. I had the EGR switched off in my old car as was having it mapped for power at the time. DPF I wouldn't touch as I think it's been proved to have zero performance benefits for the car.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 7:57pm
My car has 17" alloys, a few of them are in bad shape generally so I was thinking of purchasing a new wheel set for the old beast. I am considering upgrading to a larger 18" set, anyone have any experience/views on going one inch bigger and wider in general? 17" is the original size for the car but they do look strangely small on it for some reason.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 11:58pm
can somebody else bring your car to the nct center for the test or does it have to be the registered owner of the car???
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:02am
  1. Please ensure the person who brings the car for inspection brings identification with them in the form of a driving licence as failure to provide the required identification will result in the vehicle not being issued an NCT certificate at the time of testing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 133>
  Share Topic