Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Leeds fans about ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 258>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 5:34am
Always the same you get one club that come from nowhere ( Fulham ) and go on a run and another that just blows up ( Leeds ) in the last few games of the season .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 5:47am
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

Has there ever been a club that break your heart so much

Just the majority of them really. Just remember, there are Man U fans out there who think they are going through a tough time of it right now, merely being in contention for the top 4, being in the Europa SF's & winning the Rumbelows cup. Tis all relative. 

Leaving those lads aside, would ye Leeds lads swop places with Leyton Orient this evening ?? 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:50am
Good point. Still hurts though.
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Has there ever been a club that break your heart so much

Just the majority of them really. Just remember, there are Man U fans out there who think they are going through a tough time of it right now, merely being in contention for the top 4, being in the Europa SF's & winning the Rumbelows cup. Tis all relative. 

Leaving those lads aside, would ye Leeds lads swop places with Leyton Orient this evening ?? 

Indeed, the beauty of football is that nearly every club you form an emotional attachment will break your heart and do so in a way usually reserved for romantic affairs. There were probably fans at the Camp Nou wailing and gnashing of teeth as journalists wrote about the end of an era, Barcelona might not win a trophy! Arsenal fans have been fighting amongst themselves at games, so brokenhearted are they about a top 6 finish and a cup final. I recently saw a clip of one of the goons(see what I did there) on Arsenal fan tv, a youtube channel that epitomises all that is wrong with the modern football in an entertaining manner that makes it feel like the work of Chris Morris, refer to the problems of Leyton Orient as "that sh*tty little club". Fans of all clubs suffer and have different barometers of failure but there is a stark contrast between losing a few matches or a relegation and the void that comes from losing the club you love completely. Fans of Leeds should know the feeling well and may well know it again.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:59pm
There are many different barometer s of pain following your team and wouldn't for an instant compare Leeds with Orient. But some teams nearly always end up in tears. Even during the Revie era they did win the total twice and the cup but I would think most people would agree that team completely under achieved in terms of trophies.Runners up seemed to be the constant theme there. Even in Europe 2 finals the same outcome. Dodgy referees included.

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:22pm
By the way I am sure there are many clubs who are always seem to lose out at the end but I suppose it's more noticeable when it's the team you support
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:25pm
Of course it is and you could look at it both ways; with the players Leeds had they probably underachieved but given how the club generally performed before and after that period it could be equally argued that they overachieved for their stature.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:38pm
That's interesting pm. I always believed Leeds had underachieved and had the stature to do so much better. With the attendance s and name from European nights they should really have been a big draw for somebody seeking new pastures. As a club I would have had them in the second tear of teams. After the man Utd and Liverpool. Probably in with villa;everton;and   man city .
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:47pm
So why has some mad Russian billionaire wannabe despot on the make not bought them, pumped in 250 million quid of gas money stolen from the Russian populace and failed miserably in the Premier League?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:04pm

That's interesting pm. I always believed Leeds had underachieved and had the stature to do so much better. With the attendance s and name from European nights they should really have been a big draw for somebody seeking new pastures. As a club I would have had them in the second tear of teams. After the man Utd and Liverpool. Probably in with villa;everton;and   man city .
Funnily enough, I was only recently saying how awful their attendances are for a 'big club' with a city of 750,000 to themselves, always averaging well below 30k. I think Elland Road has only been full once this season, despite having one of the biggest away followings the home support is comparatively poor.
I wouldn't cry about it anyway but I wouldn't have them in that 'tier' I think I saw before that Leeds are about 16th in the all time trophy table, some of those above them will be very historical but I would have them, in my mind at least,  a long way short of Everton and Villa, based on the factors given.

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:04pm
Cos we have cheaply Italian version. Same reason one hasn't bought villa who also are a big club. Because they ain't gonna make money out of it. Just how much has abromovich spent at Chelsea.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:07pm

Cos we have cheaply Italian version. Same reason one hasn't bought villa who also are a big club. Because they ain't gonna make money out of it. Just how much has abromovich spent at Chelsea.
None of them buy football clubs to make money, they but football clubs to launder reputations. Worldwide Abrahamovich is now associated with Chelsea first, rather than his very dodgy past.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:52pm
There aren't too many of them around. Man city is the other one that comes to mind. Not sure about the other leagues
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:46pm
True, quite a lot of them are in it to try and make money through football, or at the very least pay off debts;Glazers, FSG, Kroenke(although I am not sure what the dodgy Uzbek at Arsenal wants, quite possibly to improve his name),the Americans at Palace and Swansea are all involved in owning sports teams in the US and obviously see it as profitable. The Pozzos at Watford are merely a more successful Cellino. WBA are also owned by a sports orientated Chinese group.
The rest are a ragtag bunch of people that don't want it but like the transfer money(Southampton), international playboys who wanted a plaything(Leicester), a secretive Russian living locally(Bournemouth),. Nobody knows about the Iranian at Everton but I suspect the new stadium move might make a few bob somehow, the Allems at Hull just want money and Ellis Short just appears to have a vendetta against the people of Sunderland. The rest are all local owners and dildo salesman.
It was when you drop into the championship and League 1 where you have a right motley crew of dodgy lads from all over the place, everybody from Dublin's own Darragh MacAnthony and whatever he is up to with Bazza, to the Saudis at Sheffield United, Sisu at Coventry, Pilley at Fleetwood and your own Cellino I wouldn't trust any of them.
They are all in it for the quick buck if these cubs go up, when they don't you have a Charlton/Coventry/Orient situation. Thankfully, the FA have a fit and proper persons check in place which means that if they are fit and proper they would probably fail. I expect to see a lot, lot more clubs go to the wall over the years. The chairman of the local league side to me has repeatedly said there are only 16 of the 92 league clubs that are being run as self-sustaining businesses  and he isn't one for hyperbole.
It is better abroad, to an extent. The German style of fan-ownership and having stricter rules means there are less head the ball owners, it hasn't stopped teams like Hoffenheim or Red Bull adding Leipzig to their portfolio. Funnily enough Leeds are supposed to be one of the Englsih teams they were looking at, along with Swindon and Orient. PSG are owned by Qatar, Monaco by a dodgy Russian who had to loan Falcao out and sell others because of his divorce a few years back. Chinese consortia  own both Milan clubs now and Fenway are involved at Roma in some way. Spain has had disasters with the current set up at Granada, Chinese consortium, and the Qataris at Malaga. Valencia have a guy clearly in it for the cash too!
The first question of anybody getting involved with football ownership should by why!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 4:25pm
Reports that Monk is going to be sacked.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 5:32pm
Madness. But why am I not suprised
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:59pm
Monk resigns
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:13pm
strange decision, unless of course he's had contact with crystal palace / watford. new owner was ready to back him as well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 258>
  Share Topic