You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anxiety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:56am
I get it regarding my financial position pretty often. I constantly worry about never being able to buy a house, car or when I eventually have kids, not being able to provide for them. I constantly class myself as "being broke" yet I'm financially stable and totally independent yet my mind sometimes doesn't allow me to think that. If I buy myself new clothes or have a night out, I'm wracked by guilt the following day or even in the hours after the event. 

Since I've been in Canada, I'm also getting pretty bad attacks about "running out of time" regarding my path in life. Basically, I've just turned 29 and want to get into full time coaching but fear that I've left it too late to start my badges and that I'll never do what I want to do. Of course I know this is nonsense but I do get sleepless nights thinking about how I'm gonna get to where I wanna go. If I do have to return home (my residency application is in the air at the minute) I fear how people will look at me for coming home. Keep having a sense of failure if I do have to go back at the age of 30 with no trade or degree. 
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:14am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You mean you get the fear?

Happens to the best of us.

Yeah I would more associate it with the fear. Although one time it kept me out of work a few days after a particular bad one so I had to go doctor for a cert. the doctor note I got said anxiety. Suppose the German boss woulnt know what the f**k if it had DTs or THE FEAR
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Just seeing the amount of people that suffer or have suffered with depression on the forum, just curious to see if many or anyone else suffer from anxiety?

After getting a terrible dose of it again over the weekend, mind plays tricks on me and it's horrible.

I hope you are okay bud.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Basically my mind will allow thoughts that aren't even my own into my head randomly, more often than not thoughts that bring me down or can cause stress.

I rarely drink anymore either so it's pretty hard to blame alcohol.

To explain my condition a bit more in detail here is an example of what I go through regularly.

I could say "John is a sound chap" to a mate, yet in my head a few hours later my mind could think back and try to trick myself into saying I called "John, a dickhead"

Delaney?

Sure he's a dickhead, everyone knows that
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:11pm
Got this after the away trip to Scotland. Had got a bad case of the fear after the previous few away match/ stag heavy sessions, this isn't helped by intolerance to wheat which means I should never drink and results in bad night sweats an skin rashes. That "fear" resulted in nights of no sleep so before Scotland, my anxiety really built about it happening again.

I came home and straight away worried myself into a frenzy this culminated in my first panic attack. A very scary experience and ended up with me heading to a GP where a low dose benzo got me some sleep and I came straight out of it. I am lucky enough to have never felt depressed at any times and genuinely am very happy with my life. So in that I can definitely see a clear distinction between depression and anxiety.

It is clear that my anxiety is centred around Alcohol so for me it's easy to avoid. I have only experienced with once more since Scotland it wasn't half as bad but again was after a night out. I have talked to numerous people about it since and it's amazing how many people have experienced it it live with it constantly. I found talking about it helped a lot. A lot of people I have talked to also recommended Cognitive behavioural therapy which is becoming more and more the most preferential treatment given by professionals. My advice to anyone from my small experience would be to talk about it and try your best to seek the triggers that cause it
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:19pm
Guys, its important you take control of anxiety before it takes control of you. I made the mistake of not dealing with it and I can honestly say I prob did not progress socially or workwise for 10 years. I let it get to the stage where I would not fly or even get on a train or bus.

My advice would be to get help, personally I found the GP had no intrest, counselling and mindfulness worked for me.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:58pm
Lads, could write a book about this and did actually write my thesis on it - Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder - and the one over-arching piece of advice I'd leave you is to arm yourself with knowledge if you find yourself experiencing panic attacks. Once you know the ins and outs, basic tenets and mechanisms of a panic attack, they lose a massive amount of their charge and then stop self-propagating themselves. Also bear in mind that NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND has ever died from a panic attack. I remember them well and they sure as fck made you feel like you were dying. As mentioned above, mindfulness and counselling are great places to start too and another thing, it never hurts to keep a small paper bag on your person Wink Breathing exercises are well worth looking in to also.

If you go to a doctor about this, there's a fair chance they'll lash you on meds. It's their M.O. Dr's just love to chuck pills at these things, in my experience. My thoughts on this?? Using SSRI's or sedatives to treat panic disorder (if not having a co-morbidity with depression) is akin to using a sledgehammer to press in a thumb tack. As I said above, read up on them and then read up on them some more.

It's years now since I went through this and take it from me, the solution to your anxiety/panic is there somewhere, it's just that it varies from person to person as to what'll work best.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
Ok seems weird after yesterday saying I haven't had an anxiety attack in a while that I had one today which is more through my own weird paranoia and probably not happening.

The hr person who I talk to had a half day today and the other day I got an update on LinkedIn that she had become connections with a recruitment manager so my panic evolved around is she leaving ?? who am I going to talk to if she does?
And am I being selfish that I don't want her to go?
Am I the reason she is going?

Should I bring it up and how with out sounding again weird and paranoid but

Edited by lassassinblanc - 25 Feb 2015 at 5:34pm
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Lads, could write a book about this and did actually write my thesis on it - Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder - and the one over-arching piece of advice I'd leave you is to arm yourself with knowledge if you find yourself experiencing panic attacks. Once you know the ins and outs, basic tenets and mechanisms of a panic attack, they lose a massive amount of their charge and then stop self-propagating themselves. Also bear in mind that NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND has ever died from a panic attack. I remember them well and they sure as fck made you feel like you were dying. As mentioned above, mindfulness and counselling are great places to start too and another thing, it never hurts to keep a small paper bag on your person Wink Breathing exercises are well worth looking in to also.

If you go to a doctor about this, there's a fair chance they'll lash you on meds. It's their M.O. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Dr's just love to chuck pills at these things, in my experience. </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">My thoughts on this?? Using SSRI's or sedatives to treat panic disorder (if not having a co-morbidity with depression) is akin to using a sledgehammer to press in a thumb tack. As I said above, read up on them and then read up on them some more.</span>

It's years now since I went through this and take it from me, the solution to your anxiety/panic is there somewhere, it's just that it varies from person to person as to what'll work best.

Nasty fukers are panic attacks and while it's years since I had one, good ould anxiety still rears its ugly head from time to time.
Agree with Heighway, knowledge is absolute key. Self help books work. They may not work for everyone, but you will find something that will
Read, read, read
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:19pm
Just spotted an article on Irish Times Facebook page about anxiety.
You may want to take a look.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:12pm
Went to counselling before, reckon I'll be back at it next week!

Having a very bad week tbh! Mind is racing no end over f**king nothing Sickening how bad its gotten...
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:15pm
You have ocd GD.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Since I've been in Canada, I'm also getting pretty bad attacks about "running out of time" regarding my path in life. Basically, I've just turned 29 and want to get into full time coaching but fear that I've left it too late to start my badges and that I'll never do what I want to do. Of course I know this is nonsense but I do get sleepless nights thinking about how I'm gonna get to where I wanna go. If I do have to return home (my residency application is in the air at the minute) I fear how people will look at me for coming home. Keep having a sense of failure if I do have to go back at the age of 30 with no trade or degree. 

Ask anyone in their 40's and they'll tell you that you've plenty of time ahead of you. You're never too old to chase your dream, unless you have kids, a house etc. I reckon I went through my mid life crisis in my early 20's because I wasn't happy with the direction I was heading 'career wise'. It was more just the anxiety of feeling like I should be doing more with my life than I was.

Was only after I realised what I wanted to do and how I'd achieve it that these feelings went. It wasn't full blown anxiety more of a self esteem issue which created an anxious feeling. You'll find your own way and will look back in a few years and think what were you worried about
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

I get it regarding my financial position pretty often. I constantly worry about never being able to buy a house, car or when I eventually have kids, not being able to provide for them. I constantly class myself as "being broke" yet I'm financially stable and totally independent yet my mind sometimes doesn't allow me to think that. If I buy myself new clothes or have a night out, I'm wracked by guilt the following day or even in the hours after the event. 

only got me sh*t together the last 5 years id say , before that i treaded water for years , 
not too late at all but make some kind of plan for yourself 
make one for if you go home and make one for if you stay, set a few goals eg. courses, roles for the next year or three... 

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:39pm
Roger has come a long way since he was a low life thief
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Ok seems weird after yesterday saying I haven't had an anxiety attack in a while that I had one today which is more through my own weird paranoia and probably not happening.

The hr person who I talk to had a half day today and the other day I got an update on LinkedIn that she had become connections with a recruitment manager so my panic evolved around is she leaving ?? who am I going to talk to if she does?

You're really over thinking things LB. LinkedIn is all about connecting with others from similar fields and HR and recruitment go hand in hand. Coincidence I am sure.

But if I were you (I know how highly you regard this girl) I'd try not to rely on her as much and maybe find somebody closer to home to speak to? Otherwise, if she was to drift out of your life, it could have more devastating effect. Have you looked into counselling?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

You have ocd GD.

Doctors just said its mild anxiety, no OCD! Just this certain thing has bothered hence finding it hard to let it go, usually I can get over things very quickly by talking. Not to bad now thankfully, finally getting some closure on it after talking to my mam and girlfriend!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:21am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You're really over thinking things LB. LinkedIn is all about connecting with others from similar fields and HR and recruitment go hand in hand. Coincidence I am sure.

But if I were you (I know how highly you regard this girl) I'd try not to rely on her as much and maybe find somebody closer to home to speak to? Otherwise, if she was to drift out of your life, it could have more devastating effect. Have you looked into counselling?

yeah I'm doing counselling alright but it is good to have someone in work that I can rely on but I definitely agree I'm most likely over thinking this, I do have others in work I can talk to but she was the first so I feel more comfortable with her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic