You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anthony stokes dad on liveline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 5:19pm
Dont listen to Joe on a Regular Basis but the whole show today was taken up by this, Granted the Man is entitled to his opinion, But his Son plays for Celtic and is a shareholder in the Pub, His House has before this idiotic Gesture already been targeted by Rangers Fans, Lunacy Mr StokesWacko
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Tweetering View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweetering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:03pm
Mr. Stokes is right on certain issues.

The Queen is the head of the British armed forces, which is killing civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. These military expeditions have more to do with safeguarding western geopolitical and economic interests than any supposed moral interventionism or terror prevention. Therefore as someone who is anti-war and anti-imperialism I oppose the Queen's visit. Not from any narrow-minded sectarianism.

Anyone who has read even basic history knows that Ireland was exploited ruthlessly by the British Empire. Therefore it is legitimate to oppose the British monarchy on grounds of historical grievance. As a pacifist I condemn the IRA and paramilitarism, but that doesn't mean that I cannot share in the grievance. Would we criticise a Native American for protesting his people's dispossesion on the occassion of the visit of a U.S. Preisdent to an "Indian Reserve"?

I agree with Stokes on his anti-imperialism, but disagree with the context in which he seems to be expressing it - Irish Republicanism.

The people phoning in saying how great it is for tourism that the Queen, Tony Blair, Obama, and the Pope are visiting are in dire need of education on how our political and economic system murders and disenfranchises peoples in foreign lands.

In Ireland, sadly, Republicanism takes all the air out of the left.

Edited by Tweetering - 14 Mar 2011 at 7:03pm
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

anyone know what he use to do before his son became a footballer? How'd he afford the pub?
its anto who bought that pub, heard that a few years ago.
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:35pm
That auld fella is some clown- he made an absolute show of himself

Stokes junior bought and bank rolls that pub- he said on liveline its his etc and he is the majority shareholder- thats horse sh*t

Edited by Vivakenbarlow - 14 Mar 2011 at 7:37pm
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:41pm
There's a Sunderland jersey with Stokes on the back as soon as you walk in ffs!

Was talking to Stokes in there one night after an Ireland match. Don't remember which match but he was on the bench and didn't get a run. He was actually scooping with his Da - didn't realise how stupid his Da could be.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 1:54am

He'll hang up such an anti Brit banner but will more than happily promote British football in his boozer Confused

Edited by Honey Monster - 15 Mar 2011 at 1:54am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:54am
His da said the next banner he's putting up is one against drug dealers

liked that bit LOL
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:46am
I'm still not quite getting this, what I can only describe as ridiculous argument. My closest English mate over here is rather patriotic but vehemently and fundamentally opposed to the royalty. Does that mean he has to leave his homeland or just refuse to get paid?
AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:50am
Even though the da wasn't doing a great job getting his thoughts across, he was stitched up big time for the half an hour I heard because they continually put callers on who disagreed with him and none who agreed with him which is unfair in my opinion.

Ps it's a good boozer, I go there most saturdays to watch premier league games

Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:59am
Originally posted by AndyMc AndyMc wrote:

Even though the da wasn't doing a great job getting his thoughts across, he was stitched up big time for the half an hour I heard because they continually put callers on who disagreed with him and none who agreed with him which is unfair in my opinion.

Ps it's a good boozer, I go there most saturdays to watch premier league games

+1

It is one of the best boozers around to watch sport.
The food he serves is dirt cheap.
Considering the location of the pub you will always have some dodgey clientelle. However I have seen or heard of any trouble in that pub apart from the shooting some time back.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:15am
Since when does anyone pay their taxes to the queen? Goes to the exchequer and the treasury as far as I know.

Some of you lads sending cheques to McAleese every week?
@AntrimMan85
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:17am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Since when does anyone pay their taxes to the queen? Goes to the exchequer and the treasury as far as I know.

Some of you lads sending cheques to McAleese every week?

LOL

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:25am
Does anyone really give a f**k if the Royals are offended by this banner?

I could imagine this will bring some crowd to the bar for Sunday's Celtic-Rangers game, great publicity
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:26am
heard a bit of it yesterday, car crash radio ( can you get car crash radio ?) came across a total eejit .Everythng was the brits fault, I know the sort
Sore head in the morning - blame the brits
Horse fell at the last - blame the brits
Got no girlfriend - blame the brits
Got no job - blame the brits
Cant get it up - blame the brits

I was surprised he didnt blame the japanese earthquake on the brits

Edited by Newryrep - 15 Mar 2011 at 5:26am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

heard a bit of it yesterday, car crash radio ( can you get car crash radio ?) came across a total eejit .Everythng was the brits fault, I know the sort
Sore head in the morning - blame the brits
Horse fell at the last - blame the brits
Got no girlfriend - blame the brits
Got no job - blame the brits
Cant get it up - blame the brits

I was surprised he didnt blame the japanese earthquake on the brits

Confused

Must be some strange ones about Newry

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:39am
boozer sounds class. On the wrong side of the river though
ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 8:00am

At the end of the day its 2011...the Queen has very little powers and for the most part is just a figurehead or representative of her country. Much like our President. Foreign heads of states and diplomats visit every day of the week and nobody bats an eyelid.

There is not one person in the Republic of Ireland today who could say the Queen is supressing how they live. As I said its 2011 not the 1970s or 1916. One fella even brought up the potato famine yesterday on the show ffs.

In this day and age, what Mr Stokes was spouting off can only be seen as dissident republicanism and is not needed at all. Still have to laugh when I think the guy happily shows british sports all the time!

P.S. Sent the cheque in the post to Mrs McAleese this morning Thumbs%20Up

Edited by ericdogg - 15 Mar 2011 at 9:42am
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 9:28am
Originally posted by ericdogg ericdogg wrote:

At the end of the day its 2011...the Queen has very little powers and for the most part is just a figurehead or representative of her count. Much like our President. Foreign heads of states and diplomats visit every day of the week and nobody bats an eyelid.

There is not one person in the Republic of Ireland today who could say the Queen is supressing how they live. As I said its 2011 not the 1970s or 1916. One fella even brought up the potato famine yesterday on the show ffs.

In this day and age, what Mr Stokes was spouting off can only be seen as dissident republicanism and is not needed at all. Still have to laugh when I think the guy happily shows british sports all the time!

P.S. Sent the cheque in the post to Mrs McAleese this morning Thumbs%20Up

Good man. Keep paying those taxes folks LOL
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic