You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony Scully

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:57pm
Doyle Hayes was out today due to a Covid related issue.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Playing devil's advocate, He's been a consistent goalscorer and assist maker last year without being selected to start for Lincoln every game and he would frequently be subbed off too when he did start.

This season he's not only starting games and finishing games but his fitness has seen him become a 90minute player, I dont think he was last season.

He looks to have taken his football up a level this season and has earned an ireland call in my opinion. I think he'd find the championship a place he can score and assist in equal measure. At 22 the premier league might be a good target for him.

4 weeks till the next ireland games and Scully, Bagan and kilkenny need to in that squad and play in the Qatar game.

Why does Bagan need to be in the squad? Stevens, Doherty, McClean & Manning are all there for the LWB spot.

Also, Kilkenny was left out of the Bournemouth squad entirely yesterday, so his chances of being called up in October took a hit.

Bagan is a first team player in a top 10 championship team that will be in and around promotion. Hes a young left wing back playing at a high level. Why shouldn't he be in with a shot come the next internationals? 

Stevens, Doherty and mcclean are all on the wrong side of 30 or thereabouts

Hes got a great career ahead of him.

Kilkenny played a few u21 internationals and was left out of the squad but its short sighted to say he won't work himself back into the fold, he's improving with every game.

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:34am
Is there something about Scully that maybe Kenny doesnt think suits the way he wants to play? Only seen a few clips of him but he reminds me on Jamie Vardy with his pace and goal scoring ability. Vardy came up through the leagues and consistently scored goals. If Scully is a regular scorer, he deserves a call up to the squad at least.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:49am
If scully keeps this form up then I'm sure he will make it into the next squad he probably just didn't make the cut this time because of the other options available versus some general issue that Kenny has with him
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:23pm
any chance Scully would think he is holding out for England? hope he gets a call up next time, Qatar game made for him
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

any chance Scully would think he is holding out for England? hope he gets a call up next time, Qatar game made for him

England? I'd say he has more change for holding out for a hero than an England call.
I love beer gardens
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

England? I'd say he has more change for holding out for a hero than an England call.

Agree but there have been some daft ones over the years (liam kelly and scott hogan)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Agree but there have been some daft ones over the years (liam kelly and scott hogan)

His dad played for our B team at one point, he's chomping at the bit for an ireland call. 

I suspect the reason he hasn't already been selected was due to playing 90mins in games last season. He now looks fitter than he's ever been. He'll get the call if he can keep doing what he's doing 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If scully keeps this form up then I'm sure he will make it into the next squad he probably just didn't make the cut this time because of the other options available versus some general issue that Kenny has with him

Other options being available can't be an excuse when Ronan Curtis was called up to the squad. Man hasn't scored or assisted yet in his seven games this season.

Someone needs to press him on it if he's excluded again when Curtis is getting in ahead of him, and Shane Long who'll be 36 before the next qualifiers begin. Even Michael Duffy was on stand by for this squad.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:18pm
It is an odd one - Kenny never capped him at Under 21 level either, although he was with West Ham Under 23s at the time and a lot has changed for him since. If he didn't impress Kenny back then you'd hope he's not judging him on what he saw at that time and is taking account of his development since. He's quick, a good passer, knows where the goal is and is only 22, what's not to like really? It's League 1 that he's impressing in, but we're picking players who aren't impressing at that level so why omit someone who is standing out in the same division.

You'd assume it's a formality now that he will be in the next squad. It would be crazy to leave him out given the underperformance of our attackers during the last international period.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:24pm

Strange one. On form he's highest performing striker.

Griggs did well for the 6 from L1.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:25pm
Kenny didn't pick players when they were scoring in the EPL  (Obafemi), so it will be a case of whether Kenny thinks he can fit into his system.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:27pm
There’s always someone left out we all think should be there! I’d be shocked if he’s not in the next squad, no comparison form wise between himself & Curtis who are at the same level 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kenny didn't pick players when they were scoring in the EPL  (Obafemi), so it will be a case of whether Kenny thinks he can fit into his system.

Kenny likes strikers who don't score goals.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:43pm
On current form I would say that Scully should be ahead of Horgan (who has been good for us but last games showed a lack of quality at that level)

Bit different of late as Mcclean is playing left wing back now (which i really Don this is ideal for him) but when deployed in a more advanced role I think scully should also get the nod over him.

All in all its good to see some competition come through

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He plays both left and right of a front three as well as centre forward, so if Kenny can't fit him into his system that says more about the limitations of the system than it does about Scully.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Strange one. On form he's highest performing striker.

Griggs did well for the 6 from L1.

No he didn’t.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm
He should have been brought in previously he was doing enough to get a look in considering  our strikers return.
He definitely deserves ago now and if he doesn’t it will be obvious Kenny doesn’t fancy him

Edited by Fruice - 13 Sep 2021 at 2:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
  Share Topic