You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony O'Connor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony O'Connor
    Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 7:08am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:04pm
Aberdeen centre-half reportedly moving South of the border on a free in the Summer.  

Anyone know what clubs are in for him?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Aberdeen centre-half reportedly moving South of the border on a free in the Summer.  

Anyone know what clubs are in for him?
His performances have been poor of late and his reaction to criticism on social media was probably the final straw. He is a fairly limited central defender so I'd be surprised if it was above lower League One/ League Two.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:13pm
He's started almost every game over the past two years for the 2nd/3rd best team in Scotland, I find it highly doubtful that he'll be heading to League 2.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's started almost every game over the past two years for the 2nd/3rd best team in Scotland, I find it highly doubtful that he'll be heading to League 2.
Where he isn't wanted... I hope he gets a better move but, if we are being realistic,  it will be the bottom half of League One or League Two for him.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Where he isn't wanted... I hope he gets a better move but, if we are being realistic,  it will be the bottom half of League One or League Two for him.

Well he's starting again tonight, which would indicate that he's not exactly being pushed out the door. In fact, he started 33 out of 33 SPL matches for Aberdeen this season, and completed the 90 minutes in all but one of those. Not exactly the pattern you'd expect to see with a guy who is supposedly "out of form" and "set to be released"?
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:03pm

Well he's starting again tonight, which would indicate that he's not exactly being pushed out the door. In fact, he started 33 out of 33 SPL matches for Aberdeen this season, and completed the 90 minutes in all but one of those. Not exactly the pattern you'd expect to see with a guy who is supposedly "out of form" and "set to be released"?
The manager has confirmed he isn't being offered a new contract, they have nine players out of contract, including our own Danny Rogers, but AOC is the only one he has commented on.
He was one of their better performers earlier in the season, unfortunately it has gone badly downhill for him from there. Some of his performances have been very poor, the cup semi-final against Motherwell, albeit he was played in a defensive midfield role, being a stand-out. His reaction to a fan on social media after that performance was the final straw for their fans, many of whom have been slating his performances for a long time. 
I like to see Cork lads doing well, I just can't see who would want him based on performances.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:10pm
Where has McInnes said that O'Connor will be moving on? I can find nothing relating to that online.

In any case, starting O'Connor in every single game of the season is an almost inconceivably strange way of treating a player who is supposedly  both out of form and unwanted....
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:31pm
Sorry, I made the mistake of taking something I saw on an Aberdeen forum as truth, it may not be confirmed yet but it is hardly a secret. 

I think that says more about McInnes as a manager than anything else. Anyway, even if you think he is a superstar at Aberdeen, based on Soccerway or whatever, the reality is still that he is most likely to be playing his football in the bottom half of the EFL next season. Where else is he likely to go?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:34pm

Sorry, I made the mistake of taking something I saw on an Aberdeen forum as truth, it may not be confirmed yet but it is hardly a secret. 

I think that says more about McInnes as a manager than anything else. Anyway, even if you think he is a superstar at Aberdeen, based on Soccerway or whatever, the reality is still that he is most likely to be playing his football in the bottom half of the EFL next season. Where else is he likely to go?
Who the f**k goes on Aberdeen forumsLOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Who the f**k goes on Aberdeen forumsLOL
Aberdeen fans, mainly.

Edited by pre Madonna - 08 May 2018 at 10:39pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:15pm

You're being ridiculous now. There's a big difference between pointing out that a guy has started every game of the season to counter the assertion that he's out of form, set for release, and would be lucky to get a move to L2; and suggesting that he's a "superstar" of the team. O'Connor may not be great, but as usual, he's nowhere near as bad as you're making him out to be.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:34pm
So who is he going to sign for, realistically? Which was the debate initially. I never said he would be lucky to get a League Two club, just that the bottom half of League One and below is were he is most likely to end up.

You can't accept even the most basic criticism of Irish players. If they were all as good as you thought we would have five hundred players competing for a squad that are going to waltz the World Cup.
In reality, as I said, if you are being released by an SPFL Premier club you either stay in the Scottish merry-go-round or join a small town English club desperate to bulk their squad. It is worth remembering that the player in question was given permission to join Aberdeen on a free with a year left of his contact.

Edited by pre Madonna - 08 May 2018 at 11:36pm
ramuelmiller9 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramuelmiller9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:18pm
Have seen him play a couple of times this season and was at the game v Hibs on Saturday, definitely a better player than pre Madonna is alluding too. He would hold his own at Championship level. Aberdeen were fairly keen on keeping him on
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:40pm
My understanding was that, as you would expect for a key component in their side, Aberdeen and McInnes were keen for O'Connor to stay, indeed they have already offered him a new deal, but the player has yet to commit.

In any case, it doesn't reflect terribly well of the quality of the league if an important player for the second best team in the country is only potentially good enough to secure a move to 'League Two'.

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 6:20pm
Turned down the offer of a new contract at Aberdeen to move to Bradford.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 7:19pm

Anthony has signed a thrre year contract for Bradford city good luck to him.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 11:45pm
bit of a strange move but all to the best to him
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic