You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony Barry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony Barry
    Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:21pm
https://twitter.com/IainRodger1/status/1468143292059504646?t=v7fApr9hlsbTCucw4An1Mg&s=19

Interesting newspaper piece on Anthony Barry. Really does seem like it was a gamechanger for us getting him involved. You'd wonder how long we'll be able to hold on to him to be honest.
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:27pm
Fair play to Stephen Kenny for seeing the potential and getting him on board
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:28pm
Absolutely, do we know how he/the FAI came across him, he wouldn't have been an overly familiar name at the time? Could well have been the call that saved Kenny's job.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

https://twitter.com/IainRodger1/status/1468143292059504646?t=v7fApr9hlsbTCucw4An1Mg&s=19

Interesting newspaper piece on Anthony Barry. Really does seem like it was a gamechanger for us getting him involved. You'd wonder how long we'll be able to hold on to him to be honest.

Excellent piece and will be a huge loss whe he goes.
A coup by SK all the same.

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:02pm

Absolutely, do we know how he/the FAI came across him, he wouldn't have been an overly familiar name at the time? Could well have been the call that saved Kenny's job.
As far as I know he was friendly with Ruairi Higgins from doing his coaching badges at the same time with him . 
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:04pm
Its pretty clear at this stage that the coaching team has been seriously upgraded since this time last year, Not a coincidence form has turned round.  

Hopefully if Barry does leave the next appointment can be as imaginative.  Despite what some may think there is an attraction for an up and coming coach to have international football on the CV.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:07pm

“Anthony is someone I’ve been aware of from his friendship with [Ireland's Chief Scout and Opposition Analyst] Ruaidhrí Higgins”, says Stephen Kenny. 

“They were in Coventry City’s youth team together and did their A-Licence together, so I was well aware of him, and also from when he assisted Paul Cook at Wigan.”

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:12pm
Jesus I hate seeing new posts in this thread as I fear the worst that we may loose him. Reading that article he seems to be a workaholic with few days off. The time will come when he will want more family time anyway let's make the most of him while we have him 
Good article .
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:25pm
Hopefully even when he does go he will have left enough of an impression that it is felt long after he is gone. For instance, it's hard to see us going back to Kenny's originally preferred 4-3-3 now with wingers and a very isolated lone striker. Watching Crawford's Under 21s still playing that way it looks very dated and unsuited to our players compared to the way the senior team set up now.

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:28pm
With the he amount of acclaim Barry gets along with the obvious shift in the right direction in our performances, we are extremely lucky to have him as a coach. He obviously has a high work ethic but I think it will be hard to hold onto him in the long run.

The whole coaching staff, including SK and Andrews, can only benefit from having him on board. Great bit of work getting him involved.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:48pm

Hopefully even when he does go he will have left enough of an impression that it is felt long after he is gone. For instance, it's hard to see us going back to Kenny's originally preferred 4-3-3 now with wingers and a very isolated lone striker. Watching Crawford's Under 21s still playing that way it looks very dated and unsuited to our players compared to the way the senior team set up now.

I reckon purely because of the number of quality centre backs at our disposal, it is very difficult to see us moving away from a system that utilises 3 of them going forward. Build from the back they say, well with the quality we have coming through in both the GK and CB positions, we should be very hard to beat going forward. It's the other end of the pitch where we have problems, but there are hopeful signs.
Idah Dream!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

As far as I know he was friendly with Ruairi Higgins from doing his coaching badges at the same time with him . 

He was assistant with Paul Cook at Wigan. I assumed Kenny knows Cook well enough so that was the connection.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:34am
I recall all the praise Barry was getting when we lost our first three games in the group.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I recall all the praise Barry was getting when we lost our first three games in the group.

Right, so never to be praised again then. Things change.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 9:39am

It seems very similar to the Graeme Jones/ Steve Bruce relationship at Newcastle, 

When they lost it was all Bruce's fault when they won Jones was the hero.

Funny enough we didn't win any games when Jones was caretaker.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 10:04am
He seems to be the real deal and however the FAI/SK got hold of him it was a good bit of business.  It makes you think that, when we recruit future Irish managers,  maybe we should be talent spotting upcoming coaches rather than giving a big payday for those coming to the end of their useful career.  
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 10:53am
In international football a good coach is probably more important than a good manager as it's not like you can go out and buy a new striker or goalkeeper so you have to get the best out of what you have.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:07am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

It seems very similar to the Graeme Jones/ Steve Bruce relationship at Newcastle, 

When they lost it was all Bruce's fault when they won Jones was the hero.

Funny enough we didn't win any games when Jones was caretaker.

Seems more like the opposite to me. A core group of Newcastle fans didn't like Bruce. A core group of Ireland fans like Kenny. So to some, as we have seen on previous threads, praise of Barry is intolerable as it somehow to them implies criticism of Kenny.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic