Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andrew Moran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 3:05pm
Merann reminds me of a young Shaka Hislop
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 3:17pm
I'll repost this Wenger quote because it's entirely relevant:

Quote Wenger:
What we found out, and what explains countries like Croatia, like Uruguay - who are small countires... is thata number of good players on a short surface is more important than a number of players on a big surface.

In other words, they've realised how to use their size to an advantage, by being able to bring the best talent together more easily and enjoy a multiplying effect.

I realised 40 years ago from a study I made for Netherlands, why I want to put the best with the best. Because they play against each other, they stimulate eachother. That explains countries like Netherlands, Croatia, Uruguay.

They keep creating teams and players because they have a good level of educations and identification of talent.

Croatia was in the last 4 of the last 2 World Cups so that means success is not limited to big countries. It is just limited to the quality of educations and organisation"

TL;DR - Small countries need to move their most talented players up the ranks as quickly as they're able. Get the best players playing with the best players because they push each other on.

Continuing the senior rebuild is priority #1. It's irrelevant whether the games are competitive, dead rubbers or friendlies vs minnows.

Moran is ready. Leaving him with the U21s is counterproductive, it doesn't serve his development and the senior team is in dire need of a player of his profile.

What do you think he's going to look back on more fondly when he's retired? The day he played against Italy's U21s, or the day he made his senior Ireland debut?? No contest there.

Claiming the U21s are more important than the seniors is completely batty.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 4:17pm
More important at the moment. They actually have something to play for.
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
10 Box View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Quote Wenger:
What we found out, and what explains countries like Croatia, like Uruguay - who are small countires... is thata number of good players on a short surface is more important than a number of players on a big surface.

In other words, they've realised how to use their size to an advantage, by being able to bring the best talent together more easily and enjoy a multiplying effect.

I realised 40 years ago from a study I made for Netherlands, why I want to put the best with the best. Because they play against each other, they stimulate eachother. That explains countries like Netherlands, Croatia, Uruguay.

They keep creating teams and players because they have a good level of educations and identification of talent.

Croatia was in the last 4 of the last 2 World Cups so that means success is not limited to big countries. It is just limited to the quality of educations and organisation"

TL;DR - Small countries need to move their most talented players up the ranks as quickly as they're able. Get the best players playing with the best players because they push each other on.

Continuing the senior rebuild is priority #1. It's irrelevant whether the games are competitive, dead rubbers or friendlies vs minnows.

Moran is ready. Leaving him with the U21s is counterproductive, it doesn't serve his development and the senior team is in dire need of a player of his profile.

What do you think he's going to look back on more fondly when he's retired? The day he played against Italy's U21s, or the day he made his senior Ireland debut?? No contest there.

100%. Of course it would be great for the 21s to qualify but at the end of the day they are a developmental team & the time is right for Moran to play with the seniors. We need him to hit the ground running come the competitive cycle & it starts this week.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 4:45pm
Have to agree with the above. As much as we like to see the U21s progress/qualify for a tournament,  it has little to no impact or benefit to the senior team. If they're good enough to be in the snr team, get them in as soon as possible regardless of the importance of the games. 

The sooner the younger lads get playing senior internationals the better. 

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 14 Nov 2023 at 4:46pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Have to agree with the above. As much as we like to see the U21s progress/qualify for a tournament,  it has little to no impact or benefit to the senior team. If they're good enough to be in the snr team, get them in as soon as possible regardless of the importance of the games. 

I would disagree on this part. Playing in finals tournaments against the best of the best can very much be of benefit to players long term. 
10 Box View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I would disagree on this part. Playing in finals tournaments against the best of the best can very much be of benefit to players long term. 

More than likely wouldn't be part of the squad if we do qualify. Nothing beats Senior football..deserves his place & the sooner he his integrated the better.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 4:58pm

Playing with better players will bring him on a lot more than playing against a load of kids, half of whom wont even make it as players probably.

Its nice to play in these Euro U21 finals and all but it means F.A. in the grand scheme of things.  Most of out U18 Euro winning team never amounted to anything.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:02pm

It hasn't to date. Long term, the players experience at their club and playing senior football is the main/sole benefit or priority towards the senior team. That's just my opinion though.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 14 Nov 2023 at 5:03pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Playing with better players will bring him on a lot more than playing against a load of kids, half of whom wont even make it as players probably.

Its nice to play in these Euro U21 finals and all but it means F.A. in the grand scheme of things.  Most of out U18 Euro winning team never amounted to anything.

Am not disagreeing with calling him up now - Definite benefits to it. But I don't think playing in finals should be written off at the same time. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Quote Wenger:

I dont see anybody on here claiming that. They are claiming that in this particular instance it may be best for Moran to contribute to our U21s.

As for the Wenger quote it's barely intelligible and could be interpreted in several different ways. You could argue that we suffer from not bringing similarly aged talent together plus our education, identification of talent and organisation are all questionable.
Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:07pm

It hasn't to date. Long term, the players experience at their club and playing senior football is the main/sole benefit or priority towards the senior team. That's just my opinion though.

Really? If you take the 1998 16's then you had the likes of John O'Shea, Andy Reid, Graham Barrett, Jonathan Douglas & Liam Miller. If you take the 1998 18's squad then you had Richard Dunne, Gary Doc, Stephen McPhail, Alan Quinn and Robbie Keane. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:11pm

Really? If you take the 1998 16's then you had the likes of John O'Shea, Andy Reid, Graham Barrett, Jonathan Douglas & Liam Miller. If you take the 1998 18's squad then you had Richard Dunne, Gary Doc, Stephen McPhail, Alan Quinn and Robbie Keane. 
If you take arguably the best players in our current squad, the likes of Bazunu, Ogbene, Collins, Ferguson etc. They had little to no U21 experience. Do you think they would of benefited from a longer stint in the 21s? I can tell you the answer to that... not a chance. 

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 14 Nov 2023 at 5:11pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:13pm

If you take arguably the best players in our current squad, the likes of Bazunu, Ogbene, Collins, Ferguson etc. They had little to no U21 experience. Do you think they would of benefited from a longer stint in the 21s? I can tell you the answer to that... not a chance. 
But that isn't the point - It's not staying with the 21s for the sake of it. It's playing in Under 21s finals tournaments. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:16pm

I would also, we simply dont know what benefit it might have given we have never managed to qualify at U21 level. My own view is that it would be a huge benefit to all involved.
Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 5:16pm

But that isn't the point - It's not staying with the 21s for the sake of it. It's playing in Under 21s finals tournaments. 
But that is my point. The sooner players get senior experience, the better. I don't think it matters what the importance of the games they are playing for the U21s, it has little benefit to the seniors.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 6:50pm
I'd imagine Moran goes to Amsterdam and drops back to the 21s after.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I'd imagine Moran goes to Amsterdam and drops back to the 21s after.

If that's the case then there was no point calling him up. Could have called up Jack Taylor instead or another midfielder to provide bench cover.

Don't see him getting much minutes against the Dutch and then starting against NZ.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>
  Share Topic